Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Online Pay to win !!!!

sekton12sekton12 Member Posts: 3

Hey guys,

my biggest question is, is neverwinter online now pay to win or not , many people say yes, and many people say no, so what is it pay to win or not so i will try tera online then

ty

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It depends on how you see it, but it is clear that the in game shop is a lot less generous than TERA (or DDO, GW2 and a bunch of other games for that matter).

I think TOR and EQ2 is worse though but it can be debated. In any ways are this a PvE game mainly so P2win is less important in it then in a PvP game, but it is still annoying.

P2win is in most peoples definition when you get many serious in game advantages from buying a lot of stuff. You know, good gear with stats, classes, mounts where similar mounts either are impossible to get or takes a long time to grind and similar stuff.

The game have it's good points though and if you want to create your own dungeons you should really try it. Otherwise I would go for TERA if I were you.

• KeppyKeppy Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Any game that is associated with PWE is most definitely Pay To Win in the end.  Trust me.  I speak from years of experience with PWE games.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This isn't no surprise. PWE games are always like this no matter who develops the game.
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

It's not P2W, but it is definitely pay for convenience, and in some ways pay to not be inconvenienced.

I get that they want/need to make money, but it seems that they have spent more time coming up with ways to "persuade" people to spending money than coming up with ways to make players enjoy the game.   That is a huge problem I see with the f2p model many companies are starting to go with.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

It's a glass half full or half empty kind of question.

While the content is 100% free, every thing they can charge you they charge you for.  Bags, profession tools, mount training, better companions (which there is a lvl cap to companions so the early ones only level so far), enchantment sigils (since there is a 1% success rate to upgrade for the top tier enchant), health stones, rez scrolls ect ect.  Pretty much you are gimped if you don't pay but doesn't mean you can't complete the content.  Certainly not a good competitive PvP model.

Sure one could farm the Astral Diamond needed but it is a very grindy process.

P2E (Pay to Enjoy) is a very apt term for the game.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by kiern

It's not P2W, but it is definitely pay for convenience, and in some ways pay to not be inconvenienced.

I get that they want/need to make money, but it seems that they have spent more time coming up with ways to "persuade" people to spending money than coming up with ways to make players enjoy the game.   That is a huge problem I see with the f2p model many companies are starting to go with.

I agree with Kiern only that this is not P2W but definitly pay for convenience. Which i think F2P games should be! They need to pay the bills people. Get that through your head. If we were handed everything up front yes the game would be more enjoyable but also the game would be bankrupt because no one would feel the need to buy. 

Im really enjoying NW. I bought $20 worth of zen, got myself a nice big bag and have a bunch still left over to use later. I will probably buy some more again next month too when im high enough level for a mount. I have no problem with that. 

• CarnegieCarnegie Member Posts: 4

Yes, it's pay to win.

A lot of people who haven't gotten to the end game yet (And some who have) haven't noticed yet, but the enchanting system for end game gear is incredibly imbalanced and you have to pay a fair bit of money in order to achieve maximum potential. If I remember rightly, you can get a whopping 30% crit chance from the enchantments, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Can you imagine what that'd be like on a Rogue?

This game is Pay to Win, but only at end game.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Carnegie

Yes, it's pay to win.

A lot of people who haven't gotten to the end game yet (And some who have) haven't noticed yet, but the enchanting system for end game gear is incredibly imbalanced and you have to pay a fair bit of money in order to achieve maximum potential. If I remember rightly, you can get a whopping 30% crit chance from the enchantments, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Can you imagine what that'd be like on a Rogue?

Unless things have changed you can get that same enchant for free, it just takes longer. So how is you example pay to win ?

@op All pwe games involve or are centered around the acquisition of astral diamonds. It sort of makes real money involved in everything you do. You don't necessarily have to spend it but for me at least it put a real life value on everything I did....and that ruins the experience imo.

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yes, it's pay to win.

I have 4 capped toons and one is rank 9+ enchants throughout and I totally disagree.  You get wards from Celestial coins which are free to earn by prayer once a day.  With a couple of characters you get a couple wards per week.  Frankly, I believe Carnegie is just jealous of people who DID spend money to get what he can have if he actually tries.  You sell all your endgame extras for Astrals that let you buy wards too.  It just takes effort.

This is how the currency in NW works: you earn Astrals and gold ingame; you can then trade Astrals for Zen, which is the cash shop currency; and then you can buy anything that is available to people who use cash.  There is no advantage for paying other than the time it takes to earn Astrals. 

• CarnegieCarnegie Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Psyentist

Yes, it's pay to win.

I have 4 capped toons and one is rank 9+ enchants throughout and I totally disagree.  You get wards from Celestial coins which are free to earn by prayer once a day.  With a couple of characters you get a couple wards per week.  Frankly, I believe Carnegie is just jealous of people who DID spend money to get what he can have if he actually tries.  You sell all your endgame extras for Astrals that let you buy wards too.  It just takes effort.

This is how the currency in NW works: you earn Astrals and gold ingame; you can then trade Astrals for Zen, which is the cash shop currency; and then you can buy anything that is available to people who use cash.  There is no advantage for paying other than the time it takes to earn Astrals. 

So your point is that, even though you can pay real money in order to get these things straight off the bat, if you put in the time and effort to grind your way for enough Astrals to buy all the wards neccesary. So this to you means it's not "Pay to Win"?

I think my work here is done.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

So your point is that, even though you can pay real money in order to get these things straight off the bat, if you put in the time and effort to grind your way for enough Astrals to buy all the wards neccesary. So this to you means it's not "Pay to Win"?

That's exactly how it works, and I guess nope, it's not "pay to win", only "pay to win time" :) That's why PWE calls AD (and dilly, questionite, etc) a time currency. You can choose to spend your money, or spend your time (and in the latter, you play for free).

There's nothing to "win" in Neverwinter anyways, except if you want to be maxed out with GS of 28076quadrillion... you can play with white companions and rank5-6 enchants and runestones decently, just avoid the elitists :)

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Psyentist

Yes, it's pay to win.

Well seeing as how wards aren't necessary, and that skill beats stats, yes.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?