Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite "innovation": from GW2 that you would like to see in upcoming titles?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    OP I have been there you are right now with a topic such as this, the selective few love to jump into a thread like this and dizz everything from top to toe usually the same trash they have spewed for months on end, just ignore them and discuss with those who acually can read the topic name and give a proper respons to your question.

Seriously?

The OP asked :

"It doesn't necessarily have to be completely unique, but something that most MMOs simply don't have.

If you would your top three, please."

If the answer is "Nothing" then that's the answer. regardless of the reasons why it was the answer. It's still very much on topic.

A lot of people (myself included) gave GW2 credit where credit was due. But just because a mechanic works in one game doesn't mean we want to see it pasted into every MMO that's to follow.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    OP I have been there you are right now with a topic such as this, the selective few love to jump into a thread like this and dizz everything from top to toe usually the same trash they have spewed for months on end, just ignore them and discuss with those who acually can read the topic name and give a proper respons to your question.

Seriously?

The OP asked :

"It doesn't necessarily have to be completely unique, but something that most MMOs simply don't have.

If the answer is "Nothing" then that's the answer. regardless of the reasons why it was the answer. It's still very much on topic.

A lot of people (myself included) gave GW2 credit where credit was due. But just because a mechanic works in one game doesn't mean we want to see it pasted into every MMO that's to follow.

Nothing, is an answer.

Nothing followed by 'GW2 is the most blatant piece of crap, blah blah' is basically trolling. He's not asking what people hated about the game or why. He's asking what people liked. If you didn't like anything, then why the hell are you even in the GW2 discussion threads in the first place!? Let alone, why do you feel the need to post a whole paragraph when you're answer is basically 'none'.

The game's been out for months, there are pleanty of threads both about how good the game is and how much it sucks. I find it interesting that some people still feel the need to jump into threads of a game they have (aparently) not enjoyed for months, and still bash it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by aesperus

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Nothing, is an answer.

Nothing followed by 'GW2 is the most blatant piece of crap, blah blah' is basically trolling. He's not asking what people hated about the game or why. He's asking what people liked. If you didn't like anything, then why the hell are you even in the GW2 discussion threads in the first place!? Let alone, why do you feel the need to post a whole paragraph when you're answer is basically 'none'.

Because GW2 is it's own game. That's my opinion.

What is my favorite GW2 innovation I want to see in a new MMO? None.

That's what the thread asked, that's my opinion, I'm not a troll. I don't dislike GW2, and I have every reason to say I want my next MMO to take a different route.

It's also quite a different question than "What's your favorite GW2 innovation"? He didn't ask that. But then my answer would have been quite different.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Lack of a trinity. Seriously, the trinity is a valid system and all and definitely has its place in games, but there should be more room for games that lack one. Currently, there is only Guild Wars 2, which is taking a shot in the dark, being the first one to attempt the system, and Dragon's Prophet which is a half-assed and rushed game in every aspect. Eventually, either Guild Wars 2 will perfect the system, or a new title would make it a real thing of beauty. 
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

1. Dynamic events: While I don't believe they need to replace quests completely, DEs make the world look more alive. I didn't like Hearts, however, so my ideal structure would probably be a few traditional quests +  DEs. Many other games have similar features, but GW2's DEs seem to be the most polished public quests at the moment, with lots of dialogue and nice, zone-wide meta events.

2. Level scaling: It makes more content relevant to your level.

3. Payment model: It's very non-obtrusive and seems to work well for ANet.

Still, I'd vastly prefer a polished game that does its own thing instead of copying GW2 or WoW.

Actually, a fourth feature just came to mind:

4. Newbie content that isn't completely brain-dead. You can actually die during the first five hours of GW2. These levels aren't particularly hard and I wish they were harder, but you CAN die even if you don't do something ridiculously stupid. I just played another MMO and its beginner content was so mind-numbingly easy it bored me to tears. MMOs shouldn't assume every player is a complete idiot who can't read and needs a thirty hours long tutorial to understand the basics of gameplay. Unfortunately, very few MMOs do and I refuse to play a game that gets good only after dozens of hours.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Many of the DEs are quite impressive I definitely want to see more in the future. Also auto bank deposit and increased rare drops when you fight mobs that are higher level than you.

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Nothing, is an answer.

Because GW2 is it's own game. That's my opinion.

What is my favorite GW2 innovation I want to see in a new MMO? None.

That's what the thread asked, that's my opinion, I'm not a troll. I don't dislike GW2, and I have every reason to say I want my next MMO to take a different route.

It's also quite a different question than "What's your favorite GW2 innovation"? He didn't ask that. But then my answer would have been quite different.

Then just say that.

Saying 'I don't think the innovations from GW2 would work as well in other games' is fine. However what I was commenting on were the majority of negative posts in this thread (from the usuals) which don't say that. I don't mind counter arguments, or valid opinions, but it's hard to deny that this game (GW2) has not had a relentless barrage of haters each and every time anyone tries to say anything positive about this game. And the game is now well passed the usual post-launch game bashing.

It would be nice if we could have at least one thread talking about the good points from this game, without people who (aparently) never play the game rushing in to dump all over it.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Why don't you read some of the respons he got and then you might know what I mean.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Nothing, is an answer.

Nothing isn't an answer when he asked for a favorite, You can't hate a film and get a question what is the favorite scene in the movie you liked.

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Nothing, is an answer.

Nothing isn't an answer when he asked for a favorite, You can't hate a film and get a question what is the favorite scene in the movie you liked.

Psst! I was agreed with you, while attempting to avoid (yet another) semantics argument on these forums.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

1.  A polished Product at release. 

2.  That is all.  

Seriously?

The OP asked :

Nothing, is an answer.

Psst! I was agreed with you, while attempting to avoid (yet another) semantics argument on these forums.

Then I missed the que on that one. :/

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I hate fast travel with a passion.  I like seeing people out in the world running by me to destinations.  If i see a group run by, my curiosity leads to me following to see what's going on, and in turn the game becomes social.

The aspect that i absolutely love is the dye system.  Why oh why doesn't every MMO just copy this feature and expand on it.  Instead we get limited junk with few options or just terrible options.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    GW2 did not do anything innovative to begin with. This is why when you look at the mmos that are coming nonthing is trying to be like Guild Wars 2.  I don't see how the OP thinks things like jumping puzzles and fast travel are innovations. These thing should not be in a mmo to begin with. We need mmos to be more open ended, social and immersive. That's the innovation I am still waiting to see.
    Originally posted by Mannish
    GW2 did not do anything innovative to begin with.

So what MMO have you played that is excactly like GW2?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

What mmo is exactly like any other mmo out there?

What mmo is exactly like any other mmo out there?

You know what I mean so stop sniffing around the hot milk.

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122

Although I thought GW2 was a pretty lousy and boring game that honestly dumbed down the content mmo's have provided to date, I think there are somethings that can be implemented from GW2 in a better way.

• Dynamic events - I'm not talking about GW2's "version" of dynamic events. I'm talking about actual dynamic events that are ever changing, rather than a constant loop, which is what GW2 offers.
    • Fast traveling to certain places ONLY. GW2 completely over did it and made it so easy to move about a single zone once you had unlocked the fast traveling points. I think fast travel should be limited strictly to cities or major hubs IF at all. I think the idea of having places in zones that serve as airports between major places has worked well in other mmos. So in other words you have to travel to an "airport" like place that will then take you to a major city or hub. I think if a game is going to contain it at all, it should be something limited or along these lines.
    • The holy trinity. I think everyone realized after GW2 that the holy trinity is just so much better than the junk they had. I still don't understand how the developers thought that they were going to make a group oriented game if there is no kind of class synergy. I've said it so many times, every class in GW2 has similar survivability, can do similar amounts of damage, and have similarly powerful armor. All the classes were essentially the same. If any game can take anything away from what GW2 did with there classes it is that. If they are going to do something besides the holy trinity, there still needs to be class synergy or some kind of hierarchical system.

There's probably more I could come up with but right now this is all I've got.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

1) PvP systems are quite good (equal gear, battlegrounds, 3 faction warzones)

2) The IDEA of having your own private instance is good, although the execution is laughable.

• blootmageblootmage Member UncommonPosts: 10

1: Dynamic events

2: B2P

3:Level Scaling 

4:Having the ability to us the auction house whenever you want

5:Auto move crafting material to bank

6:No Trinity

7: Not gear dependent

Thats it I guess image

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    After reading the thread the only thing i can add is the combo system with fields and finishers, made me take skills like traps and healing spring on my ranger not becouse they did dps but helped the entier team. 

That is if everyone knew what they were doing ofcourse ^_^

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

The dye system was alright.

Other than that, can't think of anything.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Lokberg

After reading the thread the only thing i can add is the combo system with fields and finishers, made me take skills like traps and healing spring on my ranger not becouse they did dps but helped the entier team.    That is if everyone knew what they were doing ofcourse ^_^  

Combo fields and finishers are definitely the best most innovate item from gw2.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phased resource nodes, everyone gets credit for fighting the same mob and anything else that minimizes the unnecessary extra drama of competing for special mobs and resources.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Thupli

My favorite things are

1. Lack of Trinity

2. Scaling content

3. No gear grinding "tiers"

Those are the features I would like to see in other titles too along with the B2P model.  None of those are innovations exactly, however  using them in an MMO is.  Since this thread doesn't ask for what I don't want to see in upcoming titles taken from GW2 then there is no need to answer that.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor