Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The more I beta test this the more I like it.

DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55

It has a good story to it. The gameplay is decent enough. IT has tons of quests. The public quests they took directly from Warhammer Online. It has a good final fantasy feel to it. But I have only played through level 20. I have not had to really group with anyone yet. That is kind of the problem.

Now I have not had the chance to craft, which I despise. Nor have I done the mining thing or all the other crafts you can do. But if I wanted to play a massive rpg by myself I would stick to Skyrim. heh. Unless you already have friends that are playing with you, good luck in getting a good group.

The game is slow. IT was designed to keep you playing, and paying, for months.

The bosses are super cool though. Classes are cool too. It is fun to just jump in on a rare boss and get credit for it.

There are many things that irritate me about this game. But there are many things that were put in here to keep you busy that I like, say for instance how you can mix the classes up to fit your style. Love it.

But I love the European type armors, like in Skyrim, WAAAY better than FF 14. There are some questionable outfits for certain classes in FF 14. One has men wearing thongs and high boots. This type of stuff has been going on for years are SquareEnix. I just don't like seeing that type of disgusting effeminate stuff. I also hate seeing the ladies fight in high heels and daisy dukes as that is just not practical. SE really gays things up at times.

Right now I plan on purchasing and playing this game on my PS3. But if Elder Scrolls online is half as good as Skyrim, it just might be bye bye for FF 14.

Comments

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Drithe

It has a good story to it. The gameplay is decent enough. IT has tons of quests. The public quests they took directly from Warhammer Online. It has a good final fantasy feel to it. But I have only played through level 20. I have not had to really group with anyone yet. That is kind of the problem.

Now I have not had the chance to craft, which I despise. Nor have I done the mining thing or all the other crafts you can do. But if I wanted to play a massive rpg by myself I would stick to Skyrim. heh. Unless you already have friends that are playing with you, good luck in getting a good group.

The game is slow. IT was designed to keep you playing, and paying, for months.

The bosses are super cool though. Classes are cool too. It is fun to just jump in on a rare boss and get credit for it.

There are many things that irritate me about this game. But there are many things that were put in here to keep you busy that I like, say for instance how you can mix the classes up to fit your style. Love it.

But I love the European type armors, like in Skyrim, WAAAY better than FF 14. There are some questionable outfits for certain classes in FF 14. One has men wearing thongs and high boots. This type of stuff has been going on for years are SquareEnix. I just don't like seeing that type of disgusting effeminate stuff. I also hate seeing the ladies fight in high heels and daisy dukes as that is just not practical. SE really gays things up at times.

Right now I plan on purchasing and playing this game on my PS3. But if Elder Scrolls online is half as good as Skyrim, it just might be bye bye for FF 14.

I appreciate your post because it sounds like you actually tried it out unlike some of the people on here. The "men wearing thongs..." is definitely the subligar, which is more like an inside joke from FFXI. I had fun sporting a subligar on my male miqote. All kinds of perverted stuff came to mind :D.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Agreed. This isn't a black and white issue. The game has merit and it has some glaring issues.

It's impossible for me to write an unbiased review because I played 1.00 and had no problem with it in many ways but I am in the minority on that one and the reason ARR is here is they needed more bodies in the game. That's I think what many people don't really appreciate coming in to this. Legacy people gave up their game for a title and a Chocobo. We liked the game the way it was.

Like you, the more I test it, the more I understand it. I look for the longevity and don't always see it as a bad thing. I do know a scam when I see it though and can tell the difference between longevity and sadistic grind requirements. I'm seeing both in this at different points.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

Yeah.. I'm in a bit of pickle about FFXIV ARR, too. At first I didn't like it, but found myself drawn to play more and more, so now I'm straddling the fence, so to speak. I reckon I'd go for TESO in a heartbeat if it's a decent MMO, but who knows what will be grand these days. You'll probably have time to play both, as I don't believe TESO comes out until '14.

Edit: OH! And.. you'll LOVE the crafting, if you liked EQ2 crafting. It's one huge reason I'd totally play it!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Really enjoying the game, but still not a big fan of the map. The map needs some love!
  • DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Yeah. I have been babyfied now with all these mmorpgs and rpgs that lead me directly to a place. I sometimes get lost and it annoys the hell out of me because it is such a huge game. Spent 30 minutes last night looking for one place. lol.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Ive missed most of the last two beta weekends due to travel, but got some solid playtime in yesterday.

I love this game, only level 17 but I've done lots of grouping with leves and the guildhests, the new duty finder is brilliant.

Story is great, some of the combat sections are a bit challenging, I've actually died a few times.

Done enough crafting and gathering to be into it, finally got airship pass and access to first dungeon - next test weekend will be a blast.

I'm always sad waking up Sunday morning and the servers are off! Can't wait till open beta.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    the subligars lol
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I have also enjoyed beta. I think this may be the first game since WoW that holds a significant portion of its player base from launch......well at least until EQNext and Wildstar release. Even then, if those games aren't completely polished, this may be a game that people would return to after testing the others out.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Loving the game. Cant wait till Open Beta and play for keeps!

Game is solid, nothing really new but a solid game. So much to do in game. I love the crafting and gathering system.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I appreciate how the UI is fluid and very customizable.  Everything seems to work smoothly, not clunky.  One of my favorite aspects of the game are the spell effects - Love'em!
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Playing it on ps3. The frequent load screens are killing this game for me. Graphics, sound, setting, story are good. Quest system and combat are typical style. Crafting system is above average.

I will probably hold off on buying this game until they add housing and golden saucer.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yes, this isn't really a game for the folks insecure of their sexual orientation.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Yes, this isn't really a game for the folks insecure of their sexual orientation.

which brings me to the question can I get a full drag out fit for male chars, so I can get together a group of friends and do a reinactin of rocky horror picture show.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Initially, this game was on my watch list. That is to say, I was going to wait a good 1-2 months after it released to see where it went. But I have a friend who is a huge FF Fan. Self admitted Fanboi. He was in the most recent beta phases and was going nuts over the game. He gave me his 2nd beta key and asked me to try it from a less biased and more objective view and tell him what I thought so he could see if he was just enjoying it because he was a FF fan or if the game really stood on it's own merit. I played pretty heavily this past weekend and I have to say, I am going to pre-order this game.

His assessment was not because he was a fanboi. It really is a good game. And it's got a lot more depth than most recent MMOs. But the depth is something that reveals itself as you progress and doesn't slap you in the face with a complicated system right off. It's well done.

And whoever said they weren't a fan of the map system in this game. I agree totally. It needs work. There is a disconnect between where you are and where you need to go. And it's not very intuitive.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

LOL, OP never played Anarchy Online.

2 words.

Trox....Thong.....

yeah.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Charming....Is the one word I would use to describe this game for me.

Unfortunately for me...I'm looking for more than charming. I want faction conflict  in any game I hope to play or a long time.

FRONTLINE..a faction conflict area has been promised.Until I know it's ins and outs...I would not spend money on the game.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I'm getting to the point of being depressed since I can't play it. I can play some of my stand by MMO's, but geez I just wanna play FFXIV. I love the world, the music, the amount of people running around, atmosphere and everything is just so awesome, launch can't get here soon enough that is for sure, cause it is the only game right now that makes me feel at ease and chill instead of feeling like i'm having an anxiety attack like so many other MMO's to just level, level, level. 

They say the journey is half the fun and FFXIV certainly makes me feel that way. I've just randomly met awesome people while playing casually and that is very nice, feels like a real adventure.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    i will be playing release just because I anticipate PVP in patch 2.1 and patch 2.3 (frontlines). so I would level up and get ready for the PVP content in terms of GIl, Gear, crafts etc.
    Since sunday, I have not played anything on my PS3. I just want to play FF 14. LOL.  Wow. I played a game on my PS Vita though. Anyways, since all this data will be erased on the 15th of this month, I will work on crafting some. Just to see what it is like. I need a little more info though On what I want to craft.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Since sunday, I have not played anything on my PS3. I just want to play FF 14. LOL.  Wow. I played a game on my PS Vita though. Anyways, since all this data will be erased on the 15th of this month, I will work on crafting some. Just to see what it is like. I need a little more info though On what I want to craft.

If you are going to craft in one specific craft you may find it expensive, you are also going to need the gathering classes to keep costs down on raw mats.  Weaver for example will use materials from armourer, blacksmith, goldsmith and leatherworker and possibly alchemist. All those crafting classes will use mats from the miners and botonists and obviously some mats do come from drops through mob drops.  The only craft which maybe able to get along fine without other crafts could be Culinary, but even then you need botanists and fisher for ingredients if you don't wish to buy everything.

So everything is connected. I wonder if you could make an E living by just being a gatherer for all the crafters?
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by Mdpats
    I appreciate how the UI is fluid and very customizable.  Everything seems to work smoothly, not clunky.  One of my favorite aspects of the game are the spell effects - Love'em!

Speaking of the UI..... I couldn't get the chat window to move, wanted to line my hotbars on lower left corner, but couldn't, maybe i'm missin something?

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115
    Click on the name of the chat box to move it.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have in many games like Vanguard, EQ 2 and SWToR made sure I have every crafter. I am a bit of a nut that way I had even two carpenters for Freeport and Qeynos so I could craft all my furniture yeah did I mention I love housing too. Anyway I was wondering if I had time and willingness to do this can I get every crafter up and gatherer or is that a stupidly impossible thing to do. I only to have one job White Mage I think. So may be only what that job will need.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
     So everything is connected. I wonder if you could make an E living by just being a gatherer for all the crafters?

I'll get back to you on this.

I noticed something in the last beta and read some stuff here and there and I need to test more tomorrow. If everything is what I think it is and working as intended, just see crafting as a way to complete your own character and maybe make a few gill from HQ mats you have more of than you need.