Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do I Find Rift Bland?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm trying Rift again, haven't really played since launch.  On paper, Rift has everything that I find interesting in an MMO, including housing.  But for some reason, I'm finding the gameplay, especially combat, to be very bland and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on what it is.  Possibly the washed-out graphics, the armor models and the combat animations?  Anyone else have the same issue?

Comments

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Yeah I feel the exact same way. I really want to enjoy RIFT but as soon as I start doing combat I get instantly bored. I can't really put my finger on it..

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Most likely you are just tired of WoW themepark MMOs.  Rift for me was just too much a rehash of WoW which I played for years, game might be great but for me it's too much of the same ol' same ol'.  For me I suppose I am just to tired of WoW or WoW clones.  GW2 I have fun with because the combat and mechanics are completely different.

Sounds like you simpely tired of the typical WoW based themeparl MMOs.

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Rift is just like every other mmo, if your tired of the same-old same-old then Rift is not for you. What makes people love the game is all the features it has, but you do have to deal with its bland, regular gameplay.  
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    RIFT is like swtor in the sense that, could've been great, I wish it was. But it isn't.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by furbans

Most likely you are just tired of WoW themepark MMOs.  Rift for me was just too much a rehash of WoW which I played for years, game might be great but for me it's too much of the same ol' same ol'.  For me I suppose I am just to tired of WoW or WoW clones.  GW2 I have fun with because the combat and mechanics are completely different.

Maybe.  But when I go back to WoW for a few months at a time, usually at expansion releases, I still find it fun and engaging...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Vigg

Maybe.  But when I go back to WoW for a few months at a time, usually at expansion releases, I still find it fun and engaging...

You have a time investment into WoW. Not with Rift, hence the two like entities seeming to not be equal.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Something is missing from Rift and I can't put my finger on it. I played Vanilla Rift pretty much straight through. Less than a week into SL and I was done. Even F2P, I spend more time downloading the game than in it. Just can't embrace the game now. But I can assure you, it's not because I was tired of WoW. Rift is a good game mechanically, but it lacks personality.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Yeh Trion was trying to hard to stay with the "tried and true"mechanics of quest hub, trinity, and raid gear treadmill.  Sure the soul system is a little innovative, but it's not enough to overcome the basic humdrum feeling of the game.  I guess it had a good run as p2p game?  Not to sure since I only have a few friends that played it for about month and I never really hovered in their forums here before to get any info on the game.  So this is what it's like.....hmmm.

Overall I tried the game about 3 times.  Twice with a free trial and once when it went f2p.  I can tell from those few times I played that their chat has really gone down hill.  To be expected for a f2p game though I guess.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ElminsterElminster Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I think with the introduction of the patron system, and allowing REX to be traded, and used, to get patron status is kinda cool, because now people that dont have credit cards can buy or trade the REX they get from other players to get patron status and get the goodies patrons get.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I asked myself the same question for quite a long time, tried Rift over and over again with the same result. Although i liked my Cleric and Mage, something was missing or even putting me off and i couldn't exactly tell what.

The animations have been a turn off to me from beta on, but it wasn't all that. Later i found out that it is the world design or rather lack of a "world" designed. Rift's zones resemble the most soulless, lifeless and unimmersive world i've leveled in and even though my chars were fun to play, i couldn't find any place to have some fun with them in the open world.

The whole map consists of boring open areas, gaps and wide open spaces to leave enough room for rifts and invasions to spawn. There isn't one group of mobs that isn't placed for the purpose of a "kill them"-quest and Rift has not a single iconic location of which games like EQ or WoW have tons of and that you love to visit over and over again or roam around at for evenings. Telara is all "level and forget". EI was  better in that matter though.

When i tried SL i found the new zones even worse. The world is designed as if it's just a platform to mindlessly place various mobs on and let the players grind on them. Just ride in a circle and kill everything you run into, repeat.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I find raiding in WOW a bland experience. It's not that raiding in WOW was bad; it just wasn't my thing. I'm fine with that. Not everything is made for me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    It may be Rift's art style it's dark but pretty generic for the most part and it's animations whilst smooth are also pretty tried and true.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I try every few months to get in Rift. I like the polish and the animations and housing and whatnot. But also... There are just so many things about this game that I find boring somehow. I bought the game when it was new, and my highest character is still at 33 or 34 or something.

• only two starting zones for the entire game T_T
    • no choice where to walk to, you are forced to follow a single path
    • some of the graphics are nice (the models), but the landscape especially lacks grass and plants and whatnot. Even with all graphics settings to the max, it looks in short distance very empty and artificial (though the viewing distance is nice)
    • I'm a bit sick of talents that are like "+1% damage" or something. Yes, in some raid content or whatever the 1% might matter. But when levelling up your character, it's completely irrelevant whether you have a +1% damage talent or not. Those fillers are just boring.
    • too easy -> people not having to work together -> it's mostly like a single player game with sometimes some random people running around
    I want to really like the game. And I sometimes do like it. Just today I logged in, but after two quests I was bored already and logged off. Trion had some great ideas when developing Rift, but in many cases they just took the lazy way.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CarnegieCarnegie Member Posts: 4

I honestly don't think it's because people are bored of the WoW-Clone themepark MMOs. For me, I'm in the same boat but I know why I can't enjoy Rift. Because it's bland, pure and simply. There's very little challenge to a rotation and all the abilities look the same. The skills aren't flashy and they certainly don't look powerful.

When I play an MMORPG, I expect to be able to use abilities that make me feel like I'm powerful, not a little white ball that taps an enemy on the head and apparently does a lot of damage. The aesthetics matter a lot too and it fails miserably in that area.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I came away with the same feeling too. I had a lot of characters in Rift and almost every craft too but something about the game was not engaging enough to keep me in the long run. I enjoyed the soul thing and the rifts were fun when there were enough people about , which when the game launched there were.  I have not gone back to the game after I left so cannot attest how the subsequent zone events went you know like the big monsters like Hag and stuff which is the culmination of the rifts proceeded after the population fell. I would think without the necessary numbers the bigger monsters do not spawn ?

The game lacks a soul .Some games just do not ever get one. Vanilla WoW had an amazing soul. The game just lived and flourished. Others like even Vanguard have a definite soul. FFXI definitely did and Everquest and EQ 2 too. Some games never have one and Rift is one such. It is not weariness of themeparks. I still enjoy themeparks but it is just that certain something or je ne sais quoi that is missing.

Chamber of Chains
  • BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    I played it when it first came out, and I suffered much of the same. I haven't even been able to bring myself to play even in the F2P stage. I think some of the design reminded me too much of a F2P MMO called 'Perfect World', combined with gameplay that was as though I were playing WoW. The combination was unsettling and less than desirable if I were to stick around until max level.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    I'm trying Rift again, haven't really played since launch.  On paper, Rift has everything that I find interesting in an MMO, including housing.  But for some reason, I'm finding the gameplay, especially combat, to be very bland and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on what it is.  Possibly the washed-out graphics, the armor models and the combat animations?  Anyone else have the same issue?

Because it is bland. Period. We've seen it, we've played it for years before RIFT, and now we demand something NEW. Rift is the most UNINSPIRING and unoriginal mmorpg out there.

REALITY CHECK

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

From reading these boards I thought I was the only one that thought Rift was an uninspiring, bland, soulless MMORPG but it seems not. Trion and Rift seem to get a big thumbs up from many MMO players but I too found the game like the OP. I played in beta and was bored in a few hours so did not buy the game but about a year later Raptr offered me a free copy so I grabbed it and gave the game another go, it took me about 20 minutes after getting out of the starter zone to become incredibly bored I even tried to see what had changed in the game by talking in general chat, I got a couple of answers of not much, coupled that with the dead zones I logged out and I haven't been back since. 

Rift was all promise and zero delivery, a cheap WoW knock off with nothing to set it apart from any other game with poorly executed systems, sound is generic, graphics are the same, combat is dull, world design in painfully linear, major cities are a joke (One GW2 home city is three times the size of Sanctum and there 5 home cities and a neutral one in Tyria), Rifts are PQ's, they never change and always spawn in the same spot, dynamic they are not, soul system is just WoW talent trees split apart and called "souls" (they changed that a bit I know), Crafting is pointless, the list goes on and on. I cannot see the f2p transition working and with the massive failure of Defiance I worry about Archeage being properly converted.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    And yet ton of people me included play the game every day and like it, i know every game which isnt a sandbox gets flamed to death here but this is getting ridiculous the game is anything but bland,
    infact it has a lot more going on then most other themeparks on the market atm but tastes differ ofc so just play the games you like while we enjoy our game.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by tet666
    And yet ton of people me included play the game every day and like it, i know every game which isnt a sandbox gets flamed to death here but this is getting ridiculous the game is anything but bland, infact it has a lot more going on then most other themeparks on the market atm but tastes differ ofc so just play the games you like while we enjoy our game.

If you admit this then why did you felt the need to defend the game.  People are discussing what they felt bout it.  Bland is what it is, everyone agrees that Rift isn't anything revolutionary or innovative but just a rehash of the same ol' same ol' which equates to bland or uninspired.

People are discussing why they felt no love for Rift even though they tried, and some tried numerous times and discuss that it might be.  This isn't bashing.

People who want something new are certainly not going to be playing Rift.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Just another quest based themepark.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I feel the same way about it. It lacks the realism that can draw you in and it lacks the larger than life feel of WoW. It's color pallet is bland, the quests are bland, the characters are bland and the combat system is bland. So to are the animations and gear. I felt like the developers use WoW as the basic stencil or framework, but didn't add the color. They didn't want to have the over the top characteristics that wow had, such as the huge weapons and shoulders you get. 

Instead they went for something a little more down to earth but not realistic enough to make the game feel like a simulation. It seems a great idea but instead the game lacks charisma and the fun factor that wow had. I mean wow even makes traveling feel epic. With Rift it's just a teleport. But in Rifts defence, I think their raiding is right up there with some of EQ2 best raids.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Four0Six

You have a time investment into WoW. Not with Rift, hence the two like entities seeming to not be equal.

Not exactly.  The combat is more engaging in WoW.  The spell effects, sounds, animations, races, is what makes WoW superior to me.  Rift felt "bland", but to be more descriptive, it felt like a B-rated "movie" with a low budget.  Otherwise it's a decent game if you're willing to put up with these negatives.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Same old same old. They're wasting their time making any more of these predictable quest hub-to-raid zzz fests. There are more people who have played this format to death than there are young people coming of an age who haven't experienced it yet and so might go for it. Lets face it, the only reason anyone would bother with the download is because there is a serious lack of anything else original and engaging to play. If only someone could think of and develop a novel format they would make an absolute bloody fortune. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Arakazi

I feel the same way about it. It lacks the realism that can draw you in and it lacks the larger than life feel of WoW. It's color pallet is bland, the quests are bland, the characters are bland and the combat system is bland. So to are the animations and gear. I felt like the developers use WoW as the basic stencil or framework, but didn't add the color. They didn't want to have the over the top characteristics that wow had, such as the huge weapons and shoulders you get. 

Instead they went for something a little more down to earth but not realistic enough to make the game feel like a simulation. It seems a great idea but instead the game lacks charisma and the fun factor that wow had. I mean wow even makes traveling feel epic. With Rift it's just a teleport. But in Rifts defence, I think their raiding is right up there with some of EQ2 best raids.

You said it better than i could.  I agree with you.  They tried to have a realistic art style and that's why i couldn't get into it.  I really liked the dungeons though.