Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Second Bite of the Apple

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix is getting an unheard of second chance to attract and maintain an audience for Final Fantasy XIV after a disastrous earlier launch. In today's Tingle's Touchy Subjects, we take a look at that notion and more. See what we've got to say before joining in on the conversation in the comments.

Fast forward almost three years later, and the Japanese mega-publisher is currently shouting very loudly, putting its body in the doorway and blocking sight of the original product like an ashamed bedwetter trying to will away sodden sheets. That didn't happen. La la la. Look over here. Stop pointing at it. Here's some Yen. Tasty, tasty Yen.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Tingle's Touchy Subjects: Second Bite of the Apple.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

"MMO-come-sandbox"

should read:

"MMO-cum-sandbox"

The word used here is Latin, not a sexual reference, as in magna cum laude. Foreign language words are often italicized to indicate that fact.

Mr. Murphy my offer of proofreading services still stands.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Well, I think the thing Adam needs to remember is that with FF XIV they were looking to put out a next generation  mmo to replace FF XI. Now, a few years later the time is in fact ripe for a FF MMO to hit the markets. Gamers are looking for a new game and FF XIV looks to be the major release for the later half of 2013. I certainly will be playing on PS3 at launch.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Interesting article and definitely a truth. Many people who like a certain companies product will overlook troubles like was listed in order to play one of their games. If another company tried the same, they would be crucified for the same thing.

I find it troubling in the least.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Interesting article.  I was VERY turned off by the first version of FF14. So much so that I stopped following it.  But over the last year, Yoshi P has provided more than enough reasons for me to give him a second chance.  Looking at the game as its going to be, rather than as it was, I'm quite looking forward to it.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

The internet is a extremely unforgiving place.

To see what ARR has managed and the way peoples perceptions has changed is a wonderful thing to see.

I do think it won't happen often though. I believe it honestly has something to do with the company behind it. They are like ex girlfriend. They rocked our world(in the past) and then disappointed us profoundly but we always just hope that they might change and be "The One."

We can finally bring her home to parents and live happily ever after.

In truth though....just like people...change is tough and doesn't happen very easily.

We will see what happens this time around with our Ex. Some may choose to believe and give her another chance and some are far to scorned or burned.

Hope you got that and I didn't lose you in that. ;)

Point is? I think people want to believe that ARR can turn things around and be what the Final fantasy fans really wanted and I choose to believe they did. I hope my faith is rewarded.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

I very much wanted to play FF XIV (the first iteration of it), but was not inclined to do so after so much negative press and even the failed "fixes" to it. However, I was encouraged by the contrition from Square-Enix (repeatedly calling them "Sqeenix" disparages a company that has produced many games that you are obviously too young to appreciate).

Taking the original FF XIV off the market and almost completely re-configuring every mechanic in the game  seems quite contrary to your quote: "It seems that with a little effort and a dosage of developer love/financial backing, even the most broken of  MMORPGs can be salvaged and provide players with a slither of enjoyment."

Even cleverly written hyperbole is still an exaggeration in this context. Also, I'm not certain what a "memory wipe" is that you refer to in the first paragraph, but it does sound a lot worse than character wipes or memory leaks (whichever of the two you might have meant). 

Personally, I am having more than a "slither" of fun in the closed beta tests, and can say (with years of experience to bolster my statement) that it feels very much like Final Fantasy to me and many of my mates, all of whom eagerly await FF XIV: ARR. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I give them so much credit for having the balls to actually shut it down and relaunch it. Most companies would just try to keep applying bandages to the already broken game. It's a bold move and the only way a failed launch can get a fresh start. I hope it works out for them. Ill be there.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Having never played an FF despite being 34 (was never a fan of turn based twaddle) I was invited to the beta through an industry friend who promised me it wasnt a mess of turn based combat with a horrible UI bad animations and looking 3 years old.  After a couple of weekends in FF ARR I have to agree,  its a glorious looking game that plays like any other MMO.  I'm not 100% sold on it just yet theres a nag in my head about it that keeps telling me to reinstall AION or Lineage 2,  not sure why exactly but it does which is hampering my enjoyment when I don't seem to be able to fully immerse myself.  I'd certainly buy and sub though and give it a few months to see if it sways me when knowing theres no wipes coming.
  • BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    I wouldn't say FFXIV ARR is next generation. It does however have things going for it to any FF fans, and I noticed how it tugged on that side of me. It will greatly appeal to those who are interested, but the graphics are dulled in comparision to 1.0. I'll give them this much; They managed to make combat on par with most F2P games, and palattable. The crafting may be the only reason I consider chancing it a few months after launch. I haven't found fun crafting since EQ2, so props, and good ones at that. Definitely nothing innovative, IMO, and not going to live up to '13 standards.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Only ever watched,listened, read a bit on FFXIV, then saw it crash. Again just watching,listening, reading about it as it heads to relaunch.  But this time to me it sounds like the game will succeed.  I may try it out if time and mood allow.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    To be honest even with these regurgitated rereleases I'm still very disappointed with the current quality of proper mmorpgs. So much so I've decided this is my last gaming PC. Going to get a ps4 when they release and stop wasting money on new rigs to play all the mediocre games of late.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Square-Enix has a powerful brand and strong fan base, that gives them this luxury.  While I am sure they will do fine if ARR is well received, most developers don't have this luxury.  When you have a massive fan base you can get away with a lot more and fans are likely to be more forgiving.  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

What this shows is that with a an enormous IP and a huge gaming company behind you a bad launch is not the end of a MMO. But I would say only a handful of MMO's currently online could have come back in a similar way. For the majority of MMOs any second bite at the apple happens after huge staff lay offs while part of the team is being side lined to prepare the MMO for having a cash shop.

Nearly all second bites of the apple are a bit crabby.