Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new pc, need help with picking parts

VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282

Ok, Its time for me to build another pc in a month can't make up my mind on parts here what I got.  I got this build item from this site.  I like the case and that won't change but the rest I need help on.

build one

BitFenix Prodigy $90

Seasonic 660W Platinum  $155

Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi  $129

Core i5 3570K $229

Intel RTS2011LC  $80

Kingston 8GB HyperX LoVo $60

EVGA GTX 680SC $469

WD1002FAEX + Sandisk Caching SSD $155

LGUH12NS29 Blu-ray Combo $49

Windows 8

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Unless that site will sell you those parts at those prices, their list really doesn't do you any good.  I wouldn't use that build as a starting point for anything, either, as $1511 without a proper SSD (a cache drive doesn't count) is completely ridiculous.

What's your budget?

• VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282
    around $750
    Then why do you link a $1511 build when you're on a $750 budget?

Also, what needs to fit in your budget?  A case and everything that goes inside it?  Do you also need new peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, surge protector)?

If you really want the Bitfenix Prodigy case, that's fine, but you should understand that such a small case will restrict your other options considerably and inflate costs elsewhere for a given level of performance.

I won't need monitor, keyboard.  I'm just asking if there parts I can exchange or get cheaper.  750 is the ballpark I want to stay in but I can always adjust it. 
  • rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

I was going to pop in here and give advice about a build, but I saw Quizzical was in here too.  Me giving advice while Quizzical is doing the same would be like me teaching a physics class with Albert Einstein in the audience.

So, the only advice I have to give, is do what quizzical says to do.

One problem is that on a $750 budget, you normally want an AMD processor in a Socket AM3+ system.  Except that you can't get a socket AM3+ motherboard in a Mini ITX form factor, so that's out.  There are several alternatives:

1)  Go with an A10-6800K and use the integrated graphics, and use up that budget to get a very nice system for one that uses integrated graphics.  Yes, you'll be able to play games just fine once you plug in 2133 MHz memory, a decent SSD, and so forth, but the graphical performance will be about what you'd get from a $70 discrete video card.

2)  Go with an A8-6600K because it fits Socket FM2 which you can get a Mini ITX motherboard for.  This basically means you get four cores for the price of six, but it does let you use that case.

3)  Go with an Intel Core i3 system and get two cores for the price of six.  Two slightly faster cores than AMD offers, but still, only two.  This has the advantage of being lower power.

4)  Expand the budget and decide to spend about $900-$1000 instead of $750, so that you can make room for a properly done Core i5-3570 based system in a Mini ITX form factor.

5)  Give up on the Bitfenix Prodigy case and just get a nice $750 system in a bigger case.

So, what do you want to do?

Originally posted by Quizzical

One problem is that on a $750 budget, you normally want an AMD processor in a Socket AM3+ system.  Except that you can't get a socket AM3+ motherboard in a Mini ITX form factor, so that's out.  There are several alternatives:

1)  Go with an A10-6800K and use the integrated graphics, and use up that budget to get a very nice system for one that uses integrated graphics.  Yes, you'll be able to play games just fine once you plug in 2133 MHz memory, a decent SSD, and so forth, but the graphical performance will be about what you'd get from a $70 discrete video card.

2)  Go with an A8-6600K because it fits Socket FM2 which you can get a Mini ITX motherboard for.  This basically means you get four cores for the price of six, but it does let you use that case.

3)  Go with an Intel Core i3 system and get two cores for the price of six.  Two slightly faster cores than AMD offers, but still, only two.  This has the advantage of being lower power.

4)  Expand the budget and decide to spend about $900-$1000 instead of $750, so that you can make room for a properly done Core i5-3570 based system in a Mini ITX form factor.

5)  Give up on the Bitfenix Prodigy case and just get a nice $750 system in a bigger case.

So, what do you want to do?

ok cool.  I have some things to think about.