Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another anti-social themepark MMORPG?

Comments

• UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58

"OMFG LIKE, RANDOM CLOSED BETA PLAYERS ARE ANTI-SOCIAL, LIKE, OMG!"

Really guys? are you saying this game has anti-social player base when it's in CB stage and there's players who maybe they're only trying the game and will be never play it again? Ok.

PD: The only anti-social thing in FF XIV it's the new "Duty Finder",now THAT's a tool for people who don't want to socialize in the game.But that's how it works,playing with random players = playing with bots.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by NetSage

A lot of people are playing it like wow because it's what they know.  

because the game is like WoW

This. It has transformed into an anti social WoW Clone. Its not surprising. Investors interpretted the failure of the original with "not enough like WoW!"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I really did not like this game.  Mainly because it is like everything else out there.  So I put my money where my mouth is and actually tried something very different and I'm loving it...DFUW.  People bitching about this game need to try something different (only one or two options but at least there are a few) as I think you would be suprised that you are suffering from no freedom themepark burnout, like I was.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by hMJem

I am in the beta, and decided to play it today. I coudln't get anyone to talk in the major city you start in, despite it being flooded with players. I've seen other people say this as well, people are still as "gogogogogogogo" as they are in WoW in this game.

Is this unfortunately true? I feel like this is a reason I'm starting to like themepark MMORPG's less -- They promote anti-social behavior when playing as grouping usually doesnt have any benefit, and the only time people talk in dungeons are for buffs or to blame someone if something went wrong.

Was hoping this wouldnt be the case, but in my experience with this game it was. I don't want to go out on a limb and pay $60 and $15 a month for this game for it to happen beyond the beta too.

Guess I'll stick to waiting for August 2nd for the Everquest Next live reveal. Worst case scenario it's a free to play game anyways so all I'd lose is time if I dont like it, but I feel like Sandbox games cater more to grouping/being social :/

It's already confirmed free to play

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by wonkayang

I am in the beta, and decided to play it today. I coudln't get anyone to talk in the major city you start in, despite it being flooded with players. I've seen other people say this as well, people are still as "gogogogogogogo" as they are in WoW in this game.

Is this unfortunately true? I feel like this is a reason I'm starting to like themepark MMORPG's less -- They promote anti-social behavior when playing as grouping usually doesnt have any benefit, and the only time people talk in dungeons are for buffs or to blame someone if something went wrong.

Was hoping this wouldnt be the case, but in my experience with this game it was. I don't want to go out on a limb and pay $60 and $15 a month for this game for it to happen beyond the beta too.

Guess I'll stick to waiting for August 2nd for the Everquest Next live reveal. Worst case scenario it's a free to play game anyways so all I'd lose is time if I dont like it, but I feel like Sandbox games cater more to grouping/being social :/

This is game is not as difficult so people can pretty much solo if they want too. Its not gonna be like Final Fantasy 11, where you have to talk to people to get some where. But im sure as a Final Fantasy game and an MMORPG in general there are lots of things you can only do as groups. Just have to wait for people to get to that point in the game i guess before they start reaching out.

Limit Breaks level 1, cannot be used without a party.

Level 10 Guildhests (require a group, alternate spawned content leveling option)

Level 15 dungeons (part of main storyline, you CANNOT progress without doing them, also suitable leveling option)

level 25? Ifrit (storyline, 4 person party required, cannot progress without it)

Jobs level 30 (designed only for party play, require a party for their subsequent quests)

This is a group CENTRIC MMORPG that allows people to solo when they do not have the time to form a party.  It does not really cater to the "I never want to group for anything ever" demographic because you literally cannot progress even through the main storyline in this game without grouping at multiple key points in your progression.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Its a beta that only last for 2 days at a time. People don't want to have random conversations with strangers while they rush to accomplish stuff.

Try shouting in a mall on black Friday and see how many people stop to talk with you.

testing and bugs/features/workarounds i'd imagine is a good ice-breaker in a beta...

There really hasn't been that many bugs since alpha, but people do talk in game.  I have conversations all the time with people I'm playing with, even through the duty finder.

Have to wait and see what PvP holds.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

1º casuals = money

"I have 2 jobs, 5 children, 2 wives, the market must only cater to me and ma kids, we want an easy, shiny, fast, linear, independent  way to win, reward me for every single reatard action i do (ps: dying is boring and a time sink), chatting is just a big waste of time, i want to rush to endgame as soon as possible with the litle time i have, also i dont like to travel (its only a time sink), i want to explore opening the mini-map and clicking on the place where i want to go ( why do i call this exploration?), i want npcs and  big shiny marks on its head fedexing stuff and killing rats for the next piece of cool looking gear, crafting must be automated and mats should be phased so everybody  can take them and win, well, crafting is a timesink, forget it, its best to mash buttons on pew-pew and get a purple piece of armor  from a giant cockroach, and please dont make the game taking more than a week to max, i want to try the next wowclone next week, btw humam interaction sux in a mmorpg, k bye.

Signed Selfish Casual, and family

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Its not the game.... Its the players that change and become less social...

You can solo all the way through the game.

nope

• OtakkunOtakkun Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

1º casuals = money

"I have 2 jobs, 5 children, 2 wives, the market must only cater to me and ma kids, we want an easy, shiny, fast, linear, independent  way to win, reward me for every single reatard action i do (ps: dying is boring and a time sink), chatting is just a big waste of time, i want to rush to endgame as soon as possible with the litle time i have, also i dont like to travel (its only a time sink), i want to explore opening the mini-map and clicking on the place where i want to go ( why do i call this exploration?), i want npcs and  big shiny marks on its head fedexing stuff and killing rats for the next piece of cool looking gear, crafting must be automated and mats should be phased so everybody  can take them and win, well, crafting is a timesink, forget it, its best to mash buttons on pew-pew and get a purple piece of armor  from a giant cockroach, and please dont make the game taking more than a week to max, i want to try the next wowclone next week, btw humam interaction sux in a mmorpg, k bye.

Signed Selfish Casual, and family

You seem to have a point there, but then I do wonder why F2P MMOs are the only ones viable today? The got money not time demographic is big, I'll give you that (I BELONG there), but not big enough to hold a MMO today. WOW is not an issue since my kids play there, not myself. 

Hardcore -make my life hell, I want to suffer, give me a demon souls MMO- players need to back up their words with real world effort, aka money to mantain a subscription based game that caters to their needs. 

And I'm not sure this game is aiming for that.

Both ends are caricaturizations but I think I get my point across.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

What is it you expect them to talk to you about? Your favorite color? The weather? The best ice cream?

I don't understand why people think that just because there are a lot of people around they should all just "hang out" and chat about...nothing. I can see if you were grouped or in your L.S., but to expect everyone to just drop what they are doing to chit chat doesn't seem reasonable to me. Especially while people are actively playing and not bored  level cap people who ONLY log in to chat.

I can make a thread about the complete opposite cuz i get into conversations all the time in zone chat.  I got into a few funny ones too with a bunch of final fantasy 11 vets.
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    I call BS! I have had no issues with people talking and even while using the Duty Finder there was convo with random people inside of dungeons. So I have no idea what game you are playing but there are conversations you are just looking the other way.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by tkreep

nope

Yes, yes you can. It's considerably slower than grouping, but perfectly doable. In the event that your quest log (and hunting log) dries up, you can simply switch to guildleves which have been switched to a solo focus.

<3

Originally posted by dreamscaper

nope

Yes, yes you can. It's considerably slower than grouping, but perfectly doable. In the event that your quest log (and hunting log) dries up, you can simply switch to guildleves which have been switched to a solo focus.

Yes if you wanna skip out on main story quests and I would rather level up faster in grouping than soloing...Soloing other classes than your main is going to be more difficult without the experience from group content since wouldnt have as much quests anymore.

nope

How bout this dont do any kind of group content in the game and go to max level purely solo. Meaning dont do any fates even if you run into them, dont do any dungeons even the ones related to main story, dont do any primal fights and guildhests. If you solo you wont be able to get the artifact armor either which is starter gear for end game Raids and each Jobs signature armor.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    It's a standard themepark just like wow, it' the same mmorpg we've all been playing since 2004.

Except there is no such MMORPG we've been playing since 2004.

I would love it if the MMORPGs I played in 2004 were still online as they were then. They aren't None. Not a one. And I would say that if there was an MMORPG to come out today that was just like the ones in 2004, it would be a huge success.

WoW is currently so far away from what it was in 2004, you wouldn't even recognize it if you stepped out of time from then

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Wait until you open the grand company hunting log, good luck soloing that. Can't rank up without having it finished either.
  • MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

It really pains me to say it, but i just can't get excited about anything Final Fantasy anymore.  What used to be IMO the greatest RPG IP of all time gaming wise, turned into a bunch of asexual techno-robot adolescent cutesy, just, shit.  I can't think of a better word.  I remember back in the day of FF7 because we old FF1-6 vets laughed at how laughably large cloud's sword was.  But, the whole game wasnt like that, it was here and there but not like now.  Nowadays clouds sword would be considered small to medium small.

The whole art style has just gone to shit, the stories are vapid and uninteresting.  Its just not a world i can bring myself to care about.

Could you bring the bitterness back down to planet earth levels?  This game would fit perfectly with any Final Fantasy title before 2000, and its way too late to start bitching about the art style considering its always been a world of fantasy and tech. 

Oh yea and the whole FF1-6 vets thing is total BS, do you come up with pompous titles to give yourself for every activity you do?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

nope

Because they made group guild leve's called Guildhests...

You COULD solo to max level, just like they did in that South Park joke... killing 1 billion pigs.  It would take waaay longer than grouping, and you still couldn't do all the content as much of it requires a group to do at higher level.  Even the main story line is designed to be done by a level capped group.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by rojo6934

and tahts why mmorpgs these days are "anti social" because they are all soloable. Remove every solo experience and you will see people talking to each other and grouping. There are lots of amazing single player rpgs for those anti social creatures.

Problem is, the required grouping is something developers learned years ago turns a lot of players(profit) away. It's nice to dream about nothing but group content in an MMO. But even back in the vanilla EverQuest days people were constantly trying to find the best ways/places to solo.

It can be so frustrating to find a group. It is more fun, but when you have to do it ALL the time it just turns into a headache and /quit.

So many people scoff at the idea of public quests/dynamic events ala Rift, GW2, and FATEs in FFXIV. But to me they really do help make the world feel more populated. Like I am actually there with other people, but I don't have to sit around and wait to find them before I can play with them.

Some people say these systems turn people more anti-social but I found countless times in GW2 if I started a conversation with random people during events it worked. So I wonder how many people complaining about the anti-social nature of it all ever actually tried to talk. Everyone can't wait for others to speak to them, someone has to be first.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I really pay attention to all the going on in a game and i find there are a few factors.One i found many are not english speaking,i know this because about 50% of the players initiated the chat with did not speak english.Another factor is since each beta so far was a very short 2 day ordeal,players were truly in a rush,so they are used to that at this point.Yet another factor is i have seen a lot of players that are already in guilds,so they really chat among themselves and don't really need to chat with others at this point.

Still more ,WHY do we need to talk so much,i see some people just chatting nonsense in the main chat,i don't need that and i am sure others don't need to see that in the chat.You really should be playing and not chatting unless it is meaningful chat.I also saw several good chat questions not get answered but this is probably because people did not have the answers.I know i would have answered if i knew but i didn't have the answers either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59

I can 100% guarantee that endgame will revolve around group content and will require that people be social. If you are familiar with FFXI, then you know that all the best gear comes from group content, the hardest fights in the game. And not anyone is going to be able to join in such activities. You will need friends and a linkshell/guild/legion. How can you make friends and be part of a linkshell/guild/legion without being social? You can't.

Someone brought up a point earlier about how when Everquest first came out no one knew what to do, but now we do. When people don't know things, they tend to ask, be social.  Now, everything holds your hand and tells you what to do step by step. There's no need to ask questions. There's no need to be social. Still, people are social. It's a MMO and people are bound to start up a conversation about something. It's human nature.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I found the people who played the Closed Beta to be very helpful and sociable. Im sure that will change in Open Beta. All the new people who just want to troll.

Im hoping that because the game will have a sub it will keep the trolls out. Just a lot of good people to play with. Is that so much to ask for?

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38

It's in BETA people are trying to experience as much as the game as possible before their limited time is up. Give them a break op sheesh.

So far, everyone I have ran into and talked to was incredibly nice and friendly.

• Raphiel75Raphiel75 Member Posts: 16

nope

If you played the beta or even tested the guildleves properly, you should know that new players have to unlock leves and an allowance is very small, only 4-6 leves for each set ammount of time(several hour intervals, at least 4hrs) and guildleves can be done in a party, both either have the leves and all get the completion or dont have the leves and just helping out. New players will only start with 4 and has to wait if they want more. Your not suppose to depend on them they are there just to help give exp/gil/items.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

IF a game give goals or opportunities for players to work, cooperate and build connections then players will do it.  If a game allows players to play in their own "bubble" then most players won't.   It's simple as that.

Human brain is built for effeficiency. If players will be able to achieve certain things without building connections in game, then majority of players will do exactly that.  Humans which is even more amplified by individualist western culture are goal-driven. 

For majority to cooperate is has to have "pay off", so cooperation have to be either mandatory or at least playing by as mute, alone individual has to be highly ineffeficiant.  Because spending time and effort to build connections, interactions and communities if it is not optimal is seen less or more consciously as cost.

Of course if game goals and opportunities will require that - it will be deemed as "time sink" or "forced" by some and they'll either complain about it or quit game.

You cannot make an MMORPG that will have 'universal' design that cater to "all".  That ship has sailed long ago.   Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 is built with modern themepark design - soloable world and multiplayer dungeons via matchmaking system.  Just like World of Warcraft, Rift, TSW or to a bit lesser degree GW2.