Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple Guild Memberships

Comments

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Szqqq

If this game is serious this cannot happen. Think of diplomacy, politics, espionage etc.

I tend to think of EQN as EvE Online with swords and dragons and multiple guilds wont really work

in this kind of system. 

This is hilarious!

It's just Everquest....

NOTHING in this post could be more off-base.  Will there be espionage?  NOPE!  Will there be diplomacy?  NOPE (unless with NPCs)!  Will there be politics?  NOPE!

If there are, it will probably be made into some idiotic system that guilds just group up to manipulate for their own gain.  Your naivety is cute though.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

I think its a good mechanic, it allows players with choice which I know is a big no-no in mmorpgs for whatever reason. But it allows players with the option of always having something to do and people to do it with. If you want to PvP start representing your PvP guild and do some PvP with them and once you want to do something else jump over with your PvE friends. There are also RP guilds for players that want it and lets face it, most RP guilds arent doing tons of RvRvR so if you want to experience more than one aspect of the game with more types of people then yes, I think its a good idea.

EDIT: I dont think EQN will be anything like GW2, so who knows if this feature would even work in EQN?

Exactly Darth, that's pretty much the point of the system.  GW2 had basically 3 different game modes (PVE, sPVP and WvWvW PVP) and they were all drastically different from each other, many people would only play 1 or 2 aspects of the game.  The multi-guild system let someone who was interested in all 3 to be in different guilds depending on what he or she was doing.

No one knows how EQN is going to be set up, but the multi-guild system is basically just a normal guild system+.  It can work both ways.  That's why I say there's no harm in having it, even if many people don't utilize it.  The standard single guild players don't lose anything, and the people who want to be in multiple guilds can do it much easier.

No harm at all.  Though, as I said, I don't think they're going to have it.  It'll probably just be a standard single guild system.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Cirin
    Originally posted by Szqqq

If this game is serious this cannot happen. Think of diplomacy, politics, espionage etc.

I tend to think of EQN as EvE Online with swords and dragons and multiple guilds wont really work

in this kind of system. 

This is hilarious!

It's just Everquest....

NOTHING in this post could be more off-base.  Will there be espionage?  NOPE!  Will there be diplomacy?  NOPE (unless with NPCs)!  Will there be politics?  NOPE!

If there are, it will probably be made into some idiotic system that guilds just group up to manipulate for their own gain.  Your naivety is cute though.

Im with this guy, I would be surprised if there was an actual political system (not a rep grind) but I wouldnt be surprised if in the case there being one, itll be like VG's diplomatic card game which wasnt a real political system but more of a mini-game.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

You're going completely against what I am saying. I know no one is forcing us to use anything, I'm just saying I don't see the point of it. The OP started this thread saying he liked this feature and why, others like myself are saying we don't like this feature and why. Its a difference of opinion only, so I don't understand why you and the OP feel as if I we are standing between developers, protesting and blocking game advancement or something.

No one is limiting anything. In the end it all comes down to the developers. The only thing that could happen is if devs base their design choices on the majority's feedback.

I personally like being in one guild.  So do many people.  However, my point was there is zero harm in GW2's multi-guild system, because it's optional.  The difference is one choice can appeal to everyone, while the other choice is exclusionary.

I think it's childish to be against an optional feature that you can choose to use or not use.

Frankly I think EQ will not have a multi-guild system, I'm just saying that it's not detrimental to the game in any way.  If people are dropping in and out of your guild in GW2, they would be dropping in and out of your guild in a single-guild system.  The problem lies with the guild itself not being stimulating or fun enough for the player to want to stick around, or the player is simply a guild hopper.

Either way, it has nothing to do with the UI used, but rather with the people involved.

So its childish because people disagree with you? You and the OP are the only ones seem to be pouting here, and for what reason I can't understand. I don't care which guild system a game has, I and many others only stated our preference so I don't see why that angers you so much. I could see if you were making your opinion (yes, opinion, because stating that having a multi guild system in an mmo is not detrimental is purely opinion on your part) based on games where the system seems to actually be working, but so far I have seen no data to support otherwise. Guild hopping does give the appearance that the person is only building superficial ties to the game and community. Could I be wrong about this? Yes, since I don't know for sure, but I seem to see many more complaints against it (and not just on this site) than I see those singing its praises.

You're going completely against what I am saying. I know no one is forcing us to use anything, I'm just saying I don't see the point of it. The OP started this thread saying he liked this feature and why, others like myself are saying we don't like this feature and why. Its a difference of opinion only, so I don't understand why you and the OP feel as if I we are standing between developers, protesting and blocking game advancement or something.

No one is limiting anything. In the end it all comes down to the developers. The only thing that could happen is if devs base their design choices on the majority's feedback.

I personally like being in one guild.  So do many people.  However, my point was there is zero harm in GW2's multi-guild system, because it's optional.  The difference is one choice can appeal to everyone, while the other choice is exclusionary.

I think it's childish to be against an optional feature that you can choose to use or not use.

Frankly I think EQ will not have a multi-guild system, I'm just saying that it's not detrimental to the game in any way.  If people are dropping in and out of your guild in GW2, they would be dropping in and out of your guild in a single-guild system.  The problem lies with the guild itself not being stimulating or fun enough for the player to want to stick around, or the player is simply a guild hopper.

Either way, it has nothing to do with the UI used, but rather with the people involved.

So its childish because people disagree with you? You and the OP are the only ones seem to be pouting here, and for what reason I can't understand. I don't care which guild system a game has, I and many others only stated our preference so I don't see why that angers you so much. I could see if you were making your opinion (yes, opinion, because stating that having a multi guild system in an mmo is not detrimental is purely opinion on your part) based on games where the system seems to actually be working, but so far I have seen no data to support otherwise. Guild hopping does give the appearance that the person is only building superficial ties to the game and community. Could I be wrong about this? Yes, since I don't know for sure, but I seem to see many more complaints against it (and not just on this site) than I see those singing its praises.

No it's not childish simply to have a different opinion.  However, it is childish to have a childish and thoughtless opinion.

As I already stated, I personally prefer single guild, so why would I be "pouting"?

The system we're talking about (Like in GW2), accommodates both preferences (single or multi-guild).

My statement about the harm, or lack of harm it does, was factual, not an opinion.  I have already stated the reason behind this.  Not based on opinions.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

No it's not childish simply to have a different opinion.  However, it is childish to have a childish and thoughtless opinion.

As I already stated, I personally prefer single guild, so why would I be "pouting"?

The system we're talking about (Like in GW2), accommodates both preferences (single or multi-guild).

My statement about the harm, or lack of harm it does, was factual, not an opinion.  I have already stated the reason behind this.  Not based on opinions.

Your post makes no sense. Its childish and thoughtless when all I am essentially saying is that I don't care which system is in place but I prefer the single guild system as I see a guild being more like a tight knit family which doesn't seem to be as close when half the members are only in it at times when they feel like performing certain tasks that suit them? At this point I think you are taking your opinion against other players and wrongly directing them against my post or that you didn't really read my posts thoroughly before you first started replying against them.

As for your other statements, yes they are opinion. You can not state something as being fact while continuously not posting data along with it to support your statements.

Also, these posts from you really amaze me, since I seem to remember you being against having the OPTIONAL use of fast travel in game on a thread yesterday, saying that you feel that it didn't foster the community.  Its almost like you have split personality.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

I think its a good mechanic, it allows players with choice which I know is a big no-no in mmorpgs for whatever reason. But it allows players with the option of always having something to do and people to do it with. If you want to PvP start representing your PvP guild and do some PvP with them and once you want to do something else jump over with your PvE friends. There are also RP guilds for players that want it and lets face it, most RP guilds arent doing tons of RvRvR so if you want to experience more than one aspect of the game with more types of people then yes, I think its a good idea.

EDIT: I dont think EQN will be anything like GW2, so who knows if this feature would even work in EQN?

You already have a choice. You can chose whatever guild you want to join. And if you no longer want to be with those people then you have the choice to quit and join another guild.

You people dont even want to be in a guild. You just want a very VERY long friends list. To pick and choose who you want to play with that day.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

You already have a choice. You can chose whatever guild you want to join. And if you no longer want to be with those people then you have the choice to quit and join another guild.

You people dont even want to be in a guild. You just want a very VERY long friends list. To pick and choose who you want to play with that day.

Totally off topic, but I love your signature.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Originally posted by Pigglesworth

Totally off topic, but I love your signature.

Thanks. Its awesome right? lol. came across that and just had to have it.

Your post makes no sense. Its childish and thoughtless when all I am essentially saying is that I don't care which system is in place but I prefer the single guild system as I see a guild being more like a tight knit family which doesn't seem to be as close when half the members are only in it at times when they feel like performing certain tasks that suit them? At this point I think you are taking your opinion against other players and wrongly directing them against my post or that you didn't really read my posts thoroughly before you first started replying against them.

As for your other statements, yes they are opinion. You can not state something as being fact while continuously not posting data along with it to support your statements.

Also, these posts from you really amaze me, since I seem to remember you being against having the OPTIONAL use of fast travel in game on a thread yesterday, saying that you feel that it didn't foster the community.  Its almost like you have split personality.

I might have taken your comment wrong, but the way I read it was that you were not simply in preference of one type (like me), but absolutely opposed to having the alternative in the game at all (As if it would have some sort of negative effect on the community).  If that's not what you meant then I apologize.

My statement is not based on opinions however.  It's a fact.  People hopping in and out of guild is based on a player's social preferences, or a problem with the guild not giving the player the experience he or she is looking for.  It is not indicative of the guild social system. (If it was, then all the games in the past would have had zero guild hoppers, and we ALL know that's not the case)

Having a system that allows for multiple guilds simply allows people to play in whatever way they see fit, either moving around or staying in 1 guild.  It accommodates all social styles, so it's a factually superior system. 

If you have a strong, friendly, tight-knit guild then a multi-guild GUI system option should absolutely have zero effect on the guild.  In the case of GW2 it helped match people up to multiple groups and increased the community's strength.  For example, some guilds were heavily into WvW pvp, and some players in that guild enjoyed WvW, but also wanted to play the PVE game.  Having multiple guild system allowed those kinda of players to connect with more people of varying gameplay preferences to play with in different aspects of the game.  Some guilds did a lot of everything, sPVP,WvW and PVE, and had no problems retaining a tight knit group of players to tackle all aspects of the game without utilizing multiple guilds, despite the multi-guild system being in place.

My point is that, for a fact, it can't "hurt" anything.  It can only help. 

Also, no, I'm not against fast travel.  I don't prefer it.  I think it would be better to make travel meaningful.  If traveling was a fun part of the experience, that was entertaining and rewarding, then even if there was fast travel, I probably would only use it sparingly, if it all.

I would prefer* no fast travel, and meaningful travel and exploration, but I would not cry if EQN had fast travel. (EQ had Wizard and Druid fast travel starting from the first week of the game back in 1999, as soon as players started hitting the right level for those spells.)  I didn't oppose it then, and I wouldn't be against it now.  I just think there are better ways to address traveling and exploring.

That's not even remotely close to what we're saying.  You meet people of all different preferences when you play MMORPGs.  Some groups of people like to specialize completely in PVE.  You might also enjoy PVE, and really enjoy the company of that guild, but also be a fan of PVP.

So in your line of thinking, even though a player enjoys the company of a guild and enjoys playing with them, they should not be a part of their guild because they don't match up completely with what you like to do like in my previous example?  That's so childish it made me laugh out loud for real.

But hey, nice avatar and sig.  Both are awesome.

• ErnzelErnzel Member Posts: 15

I feel like you should be loyal to one guild. It's just my opinion of course.

Of course, if you joined a social guild (or guild which isn't into raiding) then you wouldn't raid with them (or you'd raid with its members which are into raiding), but if I joined a raiding guild then there wouldn't be any need to LFG or LFR or whatever it's called.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

You have to love how typical MMO gamers are. Because they had a bad experience and didn't enjoy something, no one else should be allowed to either.

Multiple guilds are great for those that want them. Put in the functionality and let the players decide if they want to use it or not. If you think its a bad idea, don't use it. But, let those that like the idea use it.

Games are becoming too much like real life society. If a group does not like doing or having something, they have to outlaw it for everyone else also. Otherwise, they feel left out.

You have to love how typical MMO gamers are. Because they had a bad experience and didn't enjoy something, no one else should be allowed to either.

Non-consensual PvP is great for those that want them. Put in the crime system and let the players decide if they want to abide by it or not. If you think its a bad idea, don't use it. But, let those that like the idea use it.

Games are becoming too much like real life society. If a group does not like doing or having something, they have to outlaw it for everyone else also. Otherwise, they feel left out.

I might have taken your comment wrong, but the way I read it was that you were not simply in preference of one type (like me), but absolutely opposed to having the alternative in the game at all (As if it would have some sort of negative effect on the community).  If that's not what you meant then I apologize.

My statement is not based on opinions however.  It's a fact.  People hopping in and out of guild is based on a player's social preferences, or a problem with the guild not giving the player the experience he or she is looking for.  It is not indicative of the guild social system. (If it was, then all the games in the past would have had zero guild hoppers, and we ALL know that's not the case)

Having a system that allows for multiple guilds simply allows people to play in whatever way they see fit, either moving around or staying in 1 guild.  It accommodates all social styles, so it's a factually superior system. 

If you have a strong, friendly, tight-knit guild then a multi-guild GUI system option should absolutely have zero effect on the guild.  In the case of GW2 it helped match people up to multiple groups and increased the community's strength.  For example, some guilds were heavily into WvW pvp, and some players in that guild enjoyed WvW, but also wanted to play the PVE game.  Having multiple guild system allowed those kinda of players to connect with more people of varying gameplay preferences to play with in different aspects of the game.  Some guilds did a lot of everything, sPVP,WvW and PVE, and had no problems retaining a tight knit group of players to tackle all aspects of the game without utilizing multiple guilds, despite the multi-guild system being in place.

My point is that, for a fact, it can't "hurt" anything.  It can only help. 

Accepted, and my apologies as well. My original post was toward the OP's later statement that people were using their previous bad experiences with the multi guild system to cloud their judgment in vetoing his opinion. I disagreed with him since I've never had a bad experience either way. But with the state of the current MMO community or lack thereof multi guild system seems to add to that.

I understand what you mean when you say it can help in other instances, and I agree in those cases, but using the options the OP first mentioned, all it really does is pad guild numbers. Plus another thing I just considered, how fair is it when the main people of a guild are constantly adding to it and building it up, only to have a person who only comes back to help out that particular guild maybe once a week when they feel like crafting or other to be able to use the guild's resources and perks when they have spent more of that time helping their other guilds and not contributing at all? the Op said he liked the system to be able to play with his friends, but I'm confused as to why he needs another guild for this when he could easily group up with those people from his friends list?

Originally posted by Ernzel

I feel like you should be loyal to one guild. It's just my opinion of course.

I agree 100%, but I also understand that many people don't share that mentality, so I'm open to a system that accommodates both social types.  I also understand that with new games come new game play types.  Hypothetically, If a player was in a very fun PVP oriented guild in one game, then they all move over to EQN, and EQN had some sort of really fun PVE system, but the guild didn't really participate in it, I think it would be a better system to allow the player be a part of two guilds, maintaining his ties and relationships with the pvp guild, but also being a part of a PVE guild to partake in the new content.  Instead of having to forsake that guild altogether.

That's not even remotely close to what we're saying.  You meet people of all different preferences when you play MMORPGs.  Some groups of people like to specialize completely in PVE.  You might also enjoy PVE, and really enjoy the company of that guild, but also be a fan of PVP.

So in your line of thinking, even though a player enjoys the company of a guild and enjoys playing with them, they should not be a part of their guild because they don't match up completely with what you like to do like in my previous example?  That's so childish it made me laugh out loud for real.

In the context on what guilds are, you cant be a member to more then one. Why do you need to be a member of more then one guild? if you find others you like to play with, add them to your friends list. This constant need to have EVERYTHING and EVERY option available is maddening.

And to the 2ed part. If your having a blast playing with your current guild, I dont see a need to join another unless their not doing the things you like to do. If your in a guild with hardcore PVEers that dont pvp and you want to PVE and PVP, find a guild that does both instead. Add the friends that you like from the guild your leaving to your friends list and move the fuck on to the next guild.

And thank you. I do love my avatar and sig =)

In the context on what guilds are, you cant be a member to more then one. Why do you need to be a member of more then one guild? if you find others you like to play with, add them to your friends list. This constant need to have EVERYTHING and EVERY option available is maddening.

And to the 2ed part. If your having a blast playing with your current guild, I dont see a need to join another unless their not doing the things you like to do. If your in a guild with hardcore PVEers that dont pvp and you want to PVE and PVP, find a guild that does both instead. Add the friends that you like from the guild your leaving to your friends list and move the fuck on to the next guild.

And thank you. I do love my avatar and sig =)

You're on the football team, that means you can't be on the baseball team or be a part of a martial art dojo, or a member of the chess team.  There can be only one.  

Ya right.  That makes no sense.

Nothing about a guild states that you can only be a part of one.  People are part of many guilds all the time.  In games that don't support it, they just make alts.  One character for one guild, one character for another.

A guild is just a group of people that are supposed to work together for the common good of the group, or to achieve things you can't do alone (like raiding).  Nothing says you can't be a part of a PVE raiding guild and another guild that focuses on open world PVP.  The core of a guild is the people.  You make friends and enjoy their company.  Just because a friend doesn't have all the same tastes as you do doesn't make them any more or less of a friend.

Also, in the GW2 system, nothing says you can't be a part of one guild that does everything you enjoy.  It just allows for more freedom for those who wish to use it, but it doesn't hurt the people who want to only be in one guild.

Guild tools are nothing more than a social oganization GUI.  It's basically an advanced friends list.  Telling someone to "Just find another guild" is arrogant and childish.  No offense.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

If your having a blast playing with your current guild, I dont see a need to join another unless their not doing the things you like to do. 

As for the need to join another, I ran into this issue in GW2 when I was working late and most of my guild only played until 11pm or midnight at the latest.  Whereas I usually wouldn't get started until 9 or 10pm and at times my playtime would be until 6am.

So I did enjoy the couple of hours I could spend with my guild, but there was a clear benefit to finding a late night group to run with.

I get that some people feel I should just quit one and be loyal to another but that isn't exactly an option for me.  I've been in the same guild since the 1990s and i'm not about to quit it and become "loyal" to some other group just because someone's code of honor dictates that I should.  

Many people I think lose sight of what a good guild is.  The second a guild stops providing what its members want those members are going to be gone regardless of any other factors.  They are never going to be loyal to their guild unless they are getting what they want.  People don't stick around in a guild for honor or anything like that.  They are there for friendship, fun, and opportunity.  If your guild is providing that to their satisfaction they are going to stay loyal to you no matter how many other guilds they can join, if they are leaving your guild it isn't because of anything the developers did.  It is because your guild isn't what they want.  This is true 100% of the time.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

If your having a blast playing with your current guild, I dont see a need to join another unless their not doing the things you like to do. 

As for the need to join another, I ran into this issue in GW2 when I was working late and most of my guild only played until 11pm or midnight at the latest.  Whereas I usually wouldn't get started until 9 or 10pm and at times my playtime would be until 6am.

So I did enjoy the couple of hours I could spend with my guild, but there was a clear benefit to finding a late night group to run with.

I get that some people feel I should just quit one and be loyal to another but that isn't exactly an option for me.  I've been in the same guild since the 1990s and i'm not about to quit it and become "loyal" to some other group just because someone's code of honor dictates that I should.  

Many people I think lose sight of what a good guild is.  The second a guild stops providing what its members want those members are going to be gone regardless of any other factors.  They are never going to be loyal to their guild unless they are getting what they want.  People don't stick around in a guild for honor or anything like that.  They are there for friendship, fun, and opportunity.  If your guild is providing that to their satisfaction they are going to stay loyal to you no matter how many other guilds they can join, if they are leaving your guild it isn't because of anything the developers did.  It is because your guild isn't what they want.  This is true 100% of the time.

Exactly.  I haven't ever had that problem specifically (luckily) but I like that GW2 provided the feature for those who needed it, without hindering the ability for me to run my own guild of dedicated friends and family.

It was an improvement on old guild systems, without neglecting anything from the old systems.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Whats the point of being in multiple guilds?
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Whats the point of being in multiple guilds?

Some examples have already been provided.

It's just a way to organize the groups you play with.  Sometimes 1 guild is great, but doesn't touch on all aspects of the game (Maybe you have a lot of friends who only PVE raid but don't PVP), so you could be in one guild that PVPs, and still be a part of your previous PVE guild.

One might be for time zone reasons.  Maybe you have no life and you play all day and night, all week long, so you play with multiple guilds that are from different time zones.

There's lots of reasons to be a part of multiple guilds.  I personally stick to one guild, but as I said before, I think it's nice to give people the choice.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Run a guild in GW2, put all the time effort, ingame resources and outside the game resourced (money) to get a website, VOIP and other services to help grow your guild.

only to have guild jumpers represent your guild for a month and then represent the next guild.

but hey you keep thinking anyone who thinks differently than you has just a thoughtless opinion.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by killahh
    Worst idea ever.

Originally posted by Ecoces

Run a guild in GW2, put all the time effort, ingame resources and outside the game resourced (money) to get a website, VOIP and other services to help grow your guild.

only to have guild jumpers represent your guild for a month and then represent the next guild.

but hey you keep thinking anyone who thinks differently than you has just a thoughtless opinion.

First of all, I did run a guild in GW2, and I maintain a vent server out of my own pocket for any of my friends or guild mates to use without asking for or requiring any donations.  As I already covered, if people are leaving and hopping in and out of your guild, it's a symptom of the player (just not being loyal) or that the guild is not fun or stimulating enough for that person.

Or maybe they have other issues to deal with (like the ones we already addressed, such as playing during different time zones).

In any case, the argument you and a few others are putting forward is absurd at best.  Sorry to say.

I would take the argument more seriously if GW2 was the first game to have guild hoppers.  LOL.

Also, another thing you guys can't seem to comprehend is that in GW2's system, where a person would just hop and abandon your guild because there another one doing something they want to do, in GW2 they're still technically in your guild.  You can see them online and message them, they can press one button and swap back over to your guild at a moment's notice.  They're out pveing with some pve guild, and then you say "Hey, we're doing WvW if you wanna join us", and they go "Sure sounds fun, /represents your guild, and then you get them for the event.

If anything, the multi-guild system helps you keep more member than a single guild system.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I've always hated needing to join guilds in MMOs since the beginning, where I felt like I was being limited to just play with a small handful of people...instead of all the people on the server.

So I loved GW2s multiple guild feature and would approve of it for most games.