Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negative hype from media outlets

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Episode 147 & 148 of This Week in MMO's has cast serious doubts on the game.  Anyone who hasn't watched should because Gary and Scott kind of try and fool themselves when the handwriting is on the wall.  This wasn't the first negative thoughts on the game either, I think Zenimax will have a tough sale unless they can fix the issues the games has and try to appeal to the MMO crowd.  Fairly certain 13 million console users are not going to be playing TESO when it comes out, even on a console and if they continue to alienate the MMO market, people like me who were defending every decision they made 2 months ago will soon switch.

This isn't good folks.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/elder-scrolls-online-mmotwimmo-147/

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/back-from-e3/

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

What is more interesting is that you defended every decision they made regardless of what that was.

Did you feel it was your job to defend it against the internet?

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Someone mentioned in another thread about expectations and what not. I'm going to assume that this game has such low expectations, that it can only go up from here. Seriously, If I had to rate this game right now, I'd rate it 'poo'. That wasn't a childish remark either, I'd really consider this game to be a steaming pile of crap right there at your feet.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Anyone who has been around the mmo genre for long enough can tell that this game is going to be a pile of crap. When devs start changing their focus for a game mid development then that should be a red flag for most people.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

HE SAID IT WEONG! HE DPESN'T KNOW WHAY HE's TALKING ABOUT

i hope...image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    It is sad but I have the feeling that ESO will be similar to SWTOR.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Almost NO ONE has said good things about this game.
  • IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    nothing new... better the truth, yes? besides, that's what most players do in MMOs, soloing most of the time to max level; the group activities are in the game and there is 3-faction PvP in Cyrodiil, so there is no reason for the drama

gameplay > graphics

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Those guys are pretty irritating.  Makes it hard to give their opinions credence when, after a minute or two, you are killing the video.

As for ESO, I think they are running into a situation where the vision they had for the game five years ago is no longer feeling like a great fit for the present day.   I imagine they are getting feedback from  multiple directions that are sending them back to the drawing board with a multitude of erasers and running irons.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

THE HORROR! It's barbaric!

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

6 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    3 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    1 month ago I said "let's wait for release"

Guess what I'm saying today?

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Iselin

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

And yet our very own MMORPG.com didn't award the game with best of MMO or RPG but the lowly "most anticipated".  I'll agree with you, we need to wait for release.  But in the mean time Zenimax needs to listen too the negativity the game is seeing from reputable sources, as well as the fans of forums and websites.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

And yet our very own MMORPG.com didn't award the game with best of MMO or RPG but the lowly "most anticipated".  I'll agree with you, we need to wait for release.  But in the mean time Zenimax needs to listen too the negativity the game is seeing from reputable sources, as well as the fans of forums and websites.

That's because they got a peek at EQ Next and gave it to them. All I can say is that EQ Next better be absofuckinglutely amazing or their credibility is going to take a huge nose dive.

From what was actually shown at E3? I would have put TESO 3rd after The Division and Destiny. Shrug... my wife ain't a 10 either (just don't tell her I said that image )

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Poor design and rehashing dead mechanics. Pain will make them grow.

I would rather watch Fox anyday over the state run television networks.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Obviously many do. Personally I'd rather watch Bill Maher make fun of FOX...but that's just me.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210
    many of these comments come from people who are not beta testing. The group is small but the feel is TES all the way. You have to give it frigging time guys it is a year away and they have almost a year of beta to go .
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Hahhns
    many of these comments come from people who are not beta testing. The group is small but the feel is TES all the way. You have to give it frigging time guys it is a year away and they have almost a year of beta to go .

Actually Scott and Gary both played the game and even though they skirted around the issue and tried to remain optimistic they pointed out obvious faults with the game design.  I haven't played the game but I have been playing MMO's for 14+ year and I can spot the signs of mediocrity when I see it.  Hopefully you're right though and the year they have left on development will make the game good, surely if anyone wants it to succeed it's me.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

First video would have helped bring more light to Matt Firor's comments if you actually were able to see the full interview with questions. I feel Matt was gauging his answers towards appealing to Elder Scrolls Fans mostly since this is an Elder Scrolls game ultimately. Again it would help to see the entirety of the interview. So much is up in the air at this time to really discern what is being communicated vs what is really going on in development.

Second video affirms the MMO feel yet its still heavily in development so the feel of the game isn't optimized and polished as it would be closer to release. I do like how they kept saying it feels like Skyrim. Heck if they release the game and it feels more multiplayer in the alliance zones and more like an MMO in Cryodiil I will be ok with playing the game as I am sure many will feel the same way. I doubt they hit a home run with this game unless they are hiding alot of aspects for good reason...I will say however it is best if they don't bring any disrespect to the Elder Scrolls legacy in the long run. Overall I got more of an indifferent opinion from both of these guys in the video.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142

Because E3 awards mean a lot... 

There are probably like a thousand of those dumbass awards, and the game they got to play was nothing but a small demo.  I wouldn't trust my own opinion based merely on a few demos.

Slapping awards from random fansites and what not on your game is an old gimmick.  Which is fitting, because that's all I see when i look at TESO, gimmicks.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Obviously many do. Personally I'd rather watch Bill Maher make fun of FOX...but that's just me.

Idk, watching Faux News isn't so bad when you want a good laugh at the expense of stupid gullible people.
    Originally posted by jimprouner

But one month old gamebreaker viideos when all the talk was "Ohmygod it isn't an MMO!" mean tons right? 

So haters go like this: "the media says it sucks...so it sucks" or "E3 awards mean shit...so it sucks" 

Yeah you make sense bud.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by jimprouner

But one month old gamebreaker viideos when all the talk was "Ohmygod it isn't an MMO!" mean tons right? 

So haters go like this: "the media says it sucks...so it sucks" or "E3 awards mean shit...so it sucks" 

Yeah you make sense bud.

There are probably like a thousand of those dumbass awards, and the game they got to play was nothing but a small demo.  I wouldn't trust my own opinion based merely on a few demos.

Slapping awards from random fansites and what not on your game is an old gimmick.  Which is fitting, because that's all I see when i look at TESO, gimmicks

You can watch people play at E3.    I have seen E3, I have seen beta, I have read the announcements, and watched/listened to the interviews, and based on all that I say the game atm seems mediocre.  I don't base my judgement on one small source.  Maybe you do...

Those awards are random as hell, which is why they have no credibility.

Interestingly enough IGN & Digital Trends & Game infromer didn't announce ESO as the best MMO in 2012.

Planetside 2 won (Game was all hype)

Best Role Playing Game 2012 Game critics awards

South Park: The Stick of Truth   (Ahh yah, wtf is this, lol)

Here is what you can expect from an E3 review,

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-not-so-wild-about-wildstar/

These are the guys who hand out those awards.  That was the worst review I have ever read.  All the guy did was cry about the controls during the whole thing.  He said this was his 6th MMO of the day.   Gee I wonder if that might ruin some of the fun and add a huge bias factor?!? I wonder...  Then he says he is a seasoned MMOer, but he fails to climb at tree for 15 minutes.  ROFL!!!  15 minutes...seriously!?  The hell of it is he was laughing at some other lady claiming she didn't know a mob from a muppet.  Ahh ok.  I bet she could probably climb that tree within 15 minutes though...LOL!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

They are listening. For example, they originally weren't going to do first person, then they did. Want dont you give credit where its due. Also, are you in Closed Beta, because the leaked Q&A I read stated that the devs were listening.  Also, similar to your other thread in EQ Next, you commented about how two reputable sources gave that game best award at E3, but when a poster here posts several examples of support, since its not EQ Next all of a sudden these sources are not up to par. Complete biased crap to me. Why is it that I'm able to look forward to a game like ESO and still at the same time look forward to the hope that EQ Next lives up to the expectations? Once I try ESO, if it doesn't feel like Elder scrolls, I'll come back and bash the game which will make half of the posters here have an orgasm.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

They are listening. For example, they originally weren't going to do first person, then they did. Want dont you give credit where its due. Also, are you in Closed Beta, because the leaked Q&A I read stated that the devs were listening.  Also, similar to your other thread in EQ Next, you commented about how two reputable sources gave that game best award at E3, but when a poster here posts several examples of support, since its not EQ Next all of a sudden these sources are not up to par. Complete biased crap to me. Why is it that I'm able to look forward to a game like ESO and still at the same time look forward to the hope that EQ Next lives up to the expectations? Once I try ESO, if it doesn't feel like Elder scrolls, I'll come back and bash the game which will make half of the posters here have an orgasm.

First off they didn't add first person view.  They added animations to first person view.

Second, yah they are listening alright, to the console kiddies!  The only people who wanted First person were the the console kiddies and the ES fanboys.  It is a completely worthless feature in an MMO.  No one other than someone who only plays solo, would ever use it.  They listened to the single player audience, and completely ignored the MMO audience telling them it was a waste of time and resources.

E3 Awards mean diddly squat, no matter who wins.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Couple of jokers in my opinion who don't have a clue. I am sure they can't even dress themselves in the mornings.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Not sure who anyone is talking to..lol with words like "haters" and "kiddies"

Not sure many people read the name of the game "Elder Scrolls Online". Every play ANY of those games?

So you want to let people play together online and yet you want to give it just a touch of mmo not a easy thing to do.

Since World of Warcraft came launched there will never be another like it. Something will come but it will have to be nothing like we have ever seen. So any kind of MMO will never be a hit like WOW is and was. 

What do I care if someone plays beta loves the game or dislikes it? Until I play it I wont know. Lol how old are we? Going into to ANYTHING in life with a negative take is what you will come out with. 

SIDE NOTE: What you read here is text....no more no less. Try not to let others upset you with just text.

Originally posted by Zeblade

Not sure who anyone is talking to..lol with words like "haters" and "kiddies"

Not sure many people read the name of the game "Elder Scrolls Online". Every play ANY of those games?

So you want to let people play together online and yet you want to give it just a touch of mmo not a easy thing to do.

Since World of Warcraft came launched there will never be another like it. Something will come but it will have to be nothing like we have ever seen. So any kind of MMO will never be a hit like WOW is and was. 

What do I care if someone plays beta loves the game or dislikes it? Until I play it I wont know. Lol how old are we? Going into to ANYTHING in life with a negative take is what you will come out with. 

SIDE NOTE: What you read here is text....no more no less. Try not to let others upset you with just text.

Ever play an MMO, because it is very much not ES, or ESO.

I played Skyrim for about an hour, and I hated it.  I can understand how critics and fanboys would think the game was good at first glance, but that impression quickly fades. Sort of like GW2.

Instead of a tutorial you get a bad video with a dragon.  Which is essentially a big middle finger to anyone who is new to the series.  There are huge barren areas of nothing everywhere, and it takes forever to get anywhere.  Which is of course boring as hell, and traversing between one place to the next is a pain in the ass.  Then there is the combat.   Damn, I thought walking around was boring, lol.   You finally get somewhere, but don't get too excited because the combat was fucking terrible!!!  It feels like I am playing a fencing game on an old amiga computer or something.  Holy hell is it bad.  WTF!?

I dug a hole in the backyard, threw the game in it, and then took a huge shit on it.  Seriously, fuck that game. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, they can't appeal to both markets. They have to pick one, and the TES market is probably the market that is more of a known quantity. I mean, if you're going to pick a market, are you going to pick the one that's established and defined, or the one that complains about everything that exists, everything that doesn't exist, and mostly plays WoW?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.