Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm curious to see how the majority of this community is handling the current state of this genre.

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

So what's your current state / relationship with the current state of MMORPG's?

Are you actively playing a MMORPG? (If so which one and your welcome to share why)

If so, is it just to kill the time until the next MMORPG you're waiting or is it because you're truly into it?

Are you actively playing other type of genre games while you're waiting for your X MMORPG? (Your welcome to share which games as well as the MMORPG your hyped for and your reasons behind)

Are you not playing anything and doing other activities for the time being? (Your welcome to share what are some of those acitivities)

The last time I remember doing similar thread the community seemed too spread out between different MMORPG's. I wonder how it will turn this time...

P.S: Lately any online game that allows me to progress and develop a character in an online, multiplayer environment is considered a MMORPG by my standards. Massive or not massive, it's still a MORPG...

I belong in the last category for the time being. I'm not playing any games, trying to enjoy some tv series/movies I could've missed and try to make more $. Occasionally, I might try a single player game, but rarely can see myself go through it entirely.

Comments

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

I'm actively playing Rift and Guild Wars 2. both are main games for me. 

Other Genre games I'm playing are JRPGs i got for the Xbox 360 and 3DS

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Playing my backlog of games bought on steam sales,watching netflix and catching up with T.V,hiking,swimming and other summer activities  waiting for an MMORPG to catch my interest,But if one doesn't come along I'm fine with that too coz I am enjoying those other things.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I'm actively playing GW2 and like it. I'm also in the FFXIV beta, but so far I'm not particularly impressed.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

With literally hundreds of titles to choose from, I think the state of the genre is superb. More games on the way is a bonus, but it also thins out the masses of players to other games which can hurt. 

Right now I'm going between three games. SWTOR, WoW, and GW2. I bounce from one to the other to keep everything fresh.

I just started SWTOR about a week ago to check out the F2P system, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people playing. For a game that supposedly sucks, people sure seem to be enjoying it.

edit: add

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Actively playing LOTRO as I have for years.  Dabbling in Marvel Heroes as a time waster.  I think the genre is fine as it is.  Looking forward to Wildstar and EQNext.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The genre is great. Not only there are many many free choices, there are a lot of innovations to add to the basic MMO ideas like MOBAs, online ARPGs with some MMO features, MMOFPS, instanced pvp (or pve) games, and even TV tie-ins. The genre is expanding beyond its traditional definition and i think it is great.

Are you actively playing a MMORPG? (If so which one and your welcome to share why)

Marvel Heroes, STO and Planetside 2. They are free and they are fun.

If so, is it just to kill the time until the next MMORPG you're waiting or is it because you're truly into it?

till the next MMORPG? Why .. i don't wait for the next game. There are so many to choose from. I don't know what "truely into it" means in this context. Is playing once in a while "truely into it"? I certainly do NOT spend day and night in any single game.

Are you actively playing other type of genre games while you're waiting for your X MMORPG? (Your welcome to share which games as well as the MMORPG your hyped for and your reasons behind)

Again, what is this "waiting" business? I am not "waiting" for anything. And yes, i play lots of games in other genre. Just finished Xcom (great game), bioshock a while back, and have lots of SP games still ongoing.

Are you not playing anything and doing other activities for the time being? (Your welcome to share what are some of those acitivities)

You miss the option "playing something and doing other activities". I do lots of other activities. Watching movies (summer is the movie season), anime, reading, going biking with my wife, planning on the next NAPA vacation, wining tasting (although i would have to say this is way more expensive than computer games), restaurant hopping with my wife.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have plenty of games i find some value in so i am in no real hurry to see any developer wake up,however it would be nice if they did.

The current state is lots and lots of copying ,VERY few creative or personal game creation,just copy that other guys idea.

Even the overall design is the same,level 1-20 super easy,super fast,adventuring not really there,more a race to end level then whine there is not some magical end game content to cater to your play style.

judging by the numbers in coast of development,i would have to say there is a lack of organized development within these operations.Need look no further than both EQ Next and Titan restructuring their games at the midway point.So obviously they did not think it out very well, or they have a CEO/Board changing their minds or having too much input.

Also the cost of the games is staggering,no way does that tell me they are spending money wisely,it sounds more like a lot of wasted money.A perfect example,some guy put out a video on you tube a Square Rant about them spending hundreds of thousands of dollars advertising Tomb Raider.His point was that EVERYONE already knows what Tomb Raider is,so why waste that kind of money and i tend to agree.Then we had that CCP debacle where they had several offices scattered all over the world making it hard to communicate and share the work.They lost and wasted a lot of money and fixed the problem.

How many times does Blizzard restructure or cancel games or not accept the final product?They claim QUALITY but then we see the finished the product and it is like WTF,cartoons,low end graphics bugs,huge map glitches,broken quests ect ect.Then you need to realize they run TEST servers to test all this before release and still comes out crap,so what quality i ask?You know how they  silenced the criticism,they shut down forums ..lol,nice option.

So yes there is still a lot of value out there for all of us,but i would seriously fire a lot of these game directors and producers they are not working efficiently or with much competence.There is of course a big chance the problems in this industry are further up,like the investors or CEO,i obviously don't know the whole problem,but there definitely is one that needs to show that these people can do their job like a professional.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.