Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Sandbox games

sumgaisumgai Member CommonPosts: 1

I am a big fan of EVE Online. I would like to find more sandbox games. I notice the Game List does not have the option to filter sandbox games. I wish it did have a better filtering system. Does anyone know of any other sandbox games? They are just so life like, i want to experience more.

Thx

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Wurm online is worth a try. It takes awhile to get into but it probably deserves being called a sandbox more so than any other game I've played, eve included. I'm playing Darkfall Unholy Wars at the moment and I'm enjoying that but that requires a purchase before you can try it. I don't know if it's still going strong but a tale in the desert is a good sandbox game if you aren't into combat. There are also some quite promising sandboxs on the horizon too but I assume you want something now.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

there are two other thread I know of on this topic. I cant rember what theya re called right now though or I would link them for you.

fair warning this type of thread norm degrades into a argument about how to define a sandbox, so its best to avoid it :p

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

A quick Google Search provided me with this page.  Not much, but probably most sandbox feature rich games, not that I would know since I've not played any of them...

http://sandboxt.net/sandboxt/page/SandboxMMOGamesList

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    darkfall unholy wars is already dead. shortest longevity in mmo history.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    darkfall unholy wars is already dead. shortest longevity in mmo history.

It will be dead only when the servers shut down. Even if you mean dead more liberally you are still wrong. It has a sufficient playerbase to be fun.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Your current options are Darkfall: Unholy Wars, Salem, worms online, Mortal Online.

Next sandbox to be released is probably The Repopulation.

After that you will have Black Desert, Gloria Victis, Pathfinder Online, Embers of Caerus, World of Darkness (by CCP as EVE).
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Squeak69

there are two other thread I know of on this topic. I cant rember what theya re called right now though or I would link them for you.

fair warning this type of thread norm degrades into a argument about how to define a sandbox, so its best to avoid it :p

Why not just point out that the definition of sandbox can be as broad or as narrow as the reader desires?  Some are satisfied with open-world PvP, others require strict player-run economies, crafting, terrain modification, etc.  It really has become somewhat of a blanket term on this site (not that that's necessarily all that negative).

Here is one of the threads mentioned:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518

Since I'm going to the trouble of linking this, I'll also point out that I consider the game I'm currently playing (Vendetta Online) a sandbox, even though Larsa didn't consider it one in his above list, because

a) There is open-world PvP with layered protection (Guarded/Monitored/Unmonitored) and dynamically conquerable content leading to a player-made political sandbox

b) There is resource control with detailed manufacturing (and some scarce resources), leading to a player-to-player economy

c) There is player-created content (mainly missions) that is peer reviewed on a separate server before being implemented

These three items are more than enough to push it into the 'Sandbox' category, imo.

(not bitter at all)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The thing that always cracked me up about the "sandbox" reference was that most kids I knew that played in the sandbox didn't kill each other and take their stuff......