Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just when you think Microsoft is going in the right direction

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Raunu
    You're going to have ads regardless, so wouldn't you rather have ads that are tailored towards things that you may be interested in?

That's a bit of a flawed assumption though. If I don't buy the console, I don't have the extra ads. As someone else said, if they offered an ad-free version of their service at a fee and the ad-laden service for free/reduced price, that'd be less of an issue (but still, for me, an issue).

I compare it to Netflix which I pay a monthly fee for and I don't see any ads on when I use it. When I load Netflix on my Roku player, which does not have a monthly fee, I see an ad on the right side of the Roku home screen. I'm ok with that since the product and service meet my expectations and do not have a recurring cost. That's my personal threshold and, of course, is subject to change based on circumstances.

The XB-one doesn't motivate me to change my stance (mileage may vary for others of course). I can already imagine the Kinect detecting my kids in the room and playing another goddamn Pillow Pets commercial. I got rid of cable to reduce the amount of advertisements I, and those around me, have to deal with so XB-one would be a step backwards in that respect.

As for the camera, I think the point a number of people have raised is not just what MS could accomplish with the Kinect/camera/microphone, but what a malicious entity could accomplish. In an age where we've seen high-profile systems compromised for reasons ranging from political, to financial, to 'just for the lulz', I just doesn't seem like a 'best practice' to broaden your own attack-surface like this (again, opinions will vary).

Don't get me wrong though, to those that are fine with it, more power to you and I hope the product meets your expectations. While I personally disagree with the direction things are going, my main vehicle to express my discontent is my wallet and self-exclusion from their marketing practices.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Gravarg

This is just proof that the private sector can do ANYTHING better than the government...even spying XD

You say that like Google didn't have its hands in "Prizm", or what ever the NSA calls the "meta data" program.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by mklinic
    Originally posted by Raunu
    You're going to have ads regardless, so wouldn't you rather have ads that are tailored towards things that you may be interested in?

That's a bit of a flawed assumption though. If I don't buy the console, I don't have the extra ads. As someone else said, if they offered an ad-free version of their service at a fee and the ad-laden service for free/reduced price, that'd be less of an issue (but still, for me, an issue).

I compare it to Netflix which I pay a monthly fee for and I don't see any ads on when I use it. When I load Netflix on my Roku player, which does not have a monthly fee, I see an ad on the right side of the Roku home screen. I'm ok with that since the product and service meet my expectations and do not have a recurring cost. That's my personal threshold and, of course, is subject to change based on circumstances.

The XB-one doesn't motivate me to change my stance (mileage may vary for others of course). I can already imagine the Kinect detecting my kids in the room and playing another goddamn Pillow Pets commercial. I got rid of cable to reduce the amount of advertisements I, and those around me, have to deal with so XB-one would be a step backwards in that respect.

As for the camera, I think the point a number of people have raised is not just what MS could accomplish with the Kinect/camera/microphone, but what a malicious entity could accomplish. In an age where we've seen high-profile systems compromised for reasons ranging from political, to financial, to 'just for the lulz', I just doesn't seem like a 'best practice' to broaden your own attack-surface like this (again, opinions will vary).

Don't get me wrong though, to those that are fine with it, more power to you and I hope the product meets your expectations. While I personally disagree with the direction things are going, my main vehicle to express my discontent is my wallet and self-exclusion from their marketing practices.

Yay, for capitalism, and the great Libertarian ideal to go away if you don't like it. I am about to hit the wife with an argument to let me build a htpc, drop cable and pay for the htpc with the saving, you have just given me more fodder for the argument. Thanks.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Your computer is tracked, your phone can be tracked, your credit/debit-card is tracked (and with that goes everything you pay fore with it)

Why in the living world would you care if your X-Box track you. Your privacy was lost many many years ago and it will keep getting more and more lost for every day.

That is the sad reality.

This have been a good conversation

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

So it's like we have cookies on the internet with our pc, seems kinda the same.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Reklaw
    So it's like we have cookies on the internet with our pc, seems kinda the same.

Not exactly. You're going to pay Microsoft $500 for a console that is going to feed you ads so that Microsoft can generate additional revenue on top of what they've already collected. With the internet you're the commodity, but at least you get something for free. Microsoft is going to use you as a commodity, and charge you for the experience.

Of course, the PS4 is going to the have ads too, I'm sure. They weren't dumb enough to draw attention to that fact though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by tawess

Your computer is tracked, your phone can be tracked, your credit/debit-card is tracked (and with that goes everything you pay fore with it)

Why in the living world would you care if your X-Box track you. Your privacy was lost many many years ago and it will keep getting more and more lost for every day.

That is the sad reality.

It['s a sad reality because people accept it.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Doesn't really make any difference to me now what they do or do not with that system, the camera thing being on in your home and being connected to the internet was enough for me to drop the system.

I..don't...like...things...watching...me...in..my..home.

I don't want the wrong thing said at the wrong time, mostly out of frustration to suddenly be taken the wrong way by someone i can't even explain myself to. People nearby can see if you are talking to a game, the Xbox and people watching it can't.

The ads now using this is just another thing to add the board of reasons not to buy that system.

Also before anyone brings this up, no I don't have cameras in my home, My computer doesn't have a web-cam, my phone has no camera (can't even take pictures) I don't have an I-phone/smart phone or anything of that type. I'm not about to put one in now.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

"Hey we just watch and listen to your everyday life 24/7 for your own good! I mean, really, you don't want all the rubbish ads, now if we observe your entire life, we can bring you RIGHT the ads YOU would want!" Oh yes, now that you explain it that way, yeah please watch me all the time!

With that and the NSA spying on everyone, fast forward 50 years and every sense of "privacy" is seen as "mental illness" and perversion.

"What do you mean, you want to be undisturbed and... alone?!" *gasp* "That is so sick! Being not observed, what kind of sicko ARE you?"

Trust me, it's only the beginning. And all in the name of progress. I swear, just once I'd like to see evil come with a maniac laughter and admitting it's evil. Just for the change. >.<

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    People see ads on their pcs and internet everyday. This isn't an issue unless people want to make it one.

Ads are one thing...having a camera connected to the internet which is on the whole time possibly collecting metadata on me? yeah no thanks.

There's a difference between going on the internet with the assumption you will be bombarded with ads, its a whole 'nother level when the camera is possibly watching me the whole time.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

ahhh Just stick some Duck Tape over the camera, problem solved!

Yet another use for duck tap, Anti spy technology.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Elikal

"Hey we just watch and listen to your everyday life 24/7 for your own good! I mean, really, you don't want all the rubbish ads, now if we observe your entire life, we can bring you RIGHT the ads YOU would want!" Oh yes, now that you explain it that way, yeah please watch me all the time!

With that and the NSA spying on everyone, fast forward 50 years and every sense of "privacy" is seen as "mental illness" and perversion.

"What do you mean, you want to be undisturbed and... alone?!" *gasp* "That is so sick! Being not observed, what kind of sicko ARE you?"

Trust me, it's only the beginning. And all in the name of progress. I swear, just once I'd like to see evil come with a maniac laughter and admitting it's evil. Just for the change. >.<

This post is funny, yet true. People need to understand this kind of invasion of privacy only happens due to people en mass allowing it. People saying that adverts plaguing people daily is inevitable are also wrong. If people didn't respond to them or did something about them enough there would not be so many. Buying a console only to have advertising thrown at me that I can't block ( Unlike on pc with free plugins ) just sounds crazy. No thanks to any of the coming consoles here thankyou. 

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Oh so now Microsoft thinks it's OK to spy on me with a kinect camera so they can pop ads in my face?

If this is actually true then FUCK them. Fuck them right in the ear. You couldn't pay me enough to put that cursed XB1 in my house. I'd be way too worried that damned camera will break loose and kill me in my sleep.

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    As soon as they get rid of Steve" Ballmer and bring in a visionary like Bill gates or Steve Jobs were. Steve" Ballmer is the poster child of what corporate America was and still is and that is what is wrong with Microsoft.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

I was dead set on becoming a console gamer.

I sold all my pc equipment before it lost to much value.

I pre ordered a PS4 and BF4

Then I got cold feet, refunded my pre order and bought a new pc

now I'm reading the crap box one and playshit4 are going to have advertisement.

I give up already.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by toddze

ahhh Just stick some Duck Tape over the camera, problem solved!

Yet another use for duck tap, Anti spy technology.

Havnt they made this an offense under the Patriot Act??  I mean seriously interfering with a monitoring device got to give people at least 3 years in jail for that.

• Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    And who is to say they will go through the proper legal channels to obtain a warrant to do this?

Law enforcement hasn't needed a warrant since the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act was enacted.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Tierless

Wait, people trusted Microsoft?

Well of course, we trusted them to fail.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Fun fact for people: Microsoft is currently scuttling multiplatform releases to ensure better sales on the Xbox 360 ( rumor is State of Decay is getting stonewalled and possibly even sabotaged by Microsoft to ensure PC sales of the game when it eventually does get ported will be lackluster).

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Its Microsoft, they want to be paid for watching you for their NSA overlords, after all they didn't get the deal where they can't be sued for doing it.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Stick to my PC buy Good Old Games on GOG.com and play old skool so i know im not spyed on 100%DRM free like The Witcher 3 for future.

And realy, realy hope valve go LINUX and more and more games supported for linux.

Im fed up with all the DRM games and DLC on day one plus easy spoon fed generations games.

Im still free of face-goog-twit-micro-ubi-ea-smartphone-apple-ipad or any other social spy apps.

You be warned for future it will even getting worse ALOT WORSE, soon your lifes are not your own anymore they own and control you.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Stick to my PC buy Good Old Games on GOG.com and play old skool so i know im not spyed on 100%DRM free like The Witcher 3 for future.

And realy, realy hope valve go LINUX and more and more games supported for linux.

Im fed up with all the DRM games and DLC on day one plus easy spoon fed generations games.

Im still free of face-goog-twit-micro-ubi-ea-smartphone-apple-ipad or any other social spy apps.

You be warned for future it will even getting worse ALOT WORSE, soon your lifes are not your own anymore they own and control you.

Dude... you're about 30-40 years too late... capitalism = enlightened slavery.

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

I've installed the Linux client and a few of the games I have purchased work. The Valve games of course work, but the only game outside of Valve that works is Don't Starve. This is probably because I don't purchase brand new games.

Something else that might help the push towards Linux for gaming is that the PS4 is going to run on a modified version of FreeBSD. The software development between Linux and FreeBSD is similar, and a lot of the things that run on one will run on the other with some tweaks and a recompile. The PS4 is also very similar to a PC in structure. Some devs are talking about tweaking their PC games to run on the next generation of consoles, not rewriting them. So the path is there and it's more possible than ever before.

Torchlight works too.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Fun fact for people: Microsoft is currently scuttling multiplatform releases to ensure better sales on the Xbox 360 ( rumor is State of Decay is getting stonewalled and possibly even sabotaged by Microsoft to ensure PC sales of the game when it eventually does get ported will be lackluster).

The original plan for State of Decay was to release on consoles. That they had any plans to release on the PC is news to me, so it's not surprising that the PC version would be delayed.

However, if you have links, that would be cool.

Originally posted by Codenak
    Its Microsoft, they want to be paid for watching you for their NSA overlords, after all they didn't get the deal where they can't be sued for doing it. 

You know who I think should be worried? Foreign countries. I can see foreign diplomats not buying the XB1 for their kids because Microsoft is an American company, and the camera and mic are on all the time.

Imagine a drug raid carried out using information from the active XB1, giving the people coming in a 3d map of at least one room of the house being raided.