Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just when you think Microsoft is going in the right direction

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Integrates-Xbox-One-Advertising-with-Kinect-To-Profile-Users-and-Deliver-Ads/

They want to make the Xbox an Ad Centric Experience, including using the Kinect to see groups of people and serve up group appropriate advertising. Ugh.

I stumbled upon this from Slashdot, which is a great site for stuff like this, even if Cowboy has moved on.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/07/05/2346254/microsoft-integrating-xbox-one-advertising-with-kinect-to-profile-users-for-ads

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

"Dun worry guiz! it's just there for motion sensing, skype and listening for you to say 'Xbawkz AWN!!!'"

I'm sure plenty of us have inadvertently installed spyware onto our computers in the past. But if anyone installs this spyware directly into their home they deserve what ever happens to them. And I intend to let anyone I know who obtains that console know how much of a moron they really are. 

Long live PC where atleast I'm spied on without my direct knowledge!

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by lizardbones

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Integrates-Xbox-One-Advertising-with-Kinect-To-Profile-Users-and-Deliver-Ads/

They want to make the Xbox an Ad Centric Experience, including using the Kinect to see groups of people and serve up group appropriate advertising. Ugh.

I did not read the link, but if they do it like how Amazon has with the Kindle, pay more for no adds, less for adds. I think it will be a good way to go, as long as prices are reduced for add supported ones. If they do not do as Amazon, then this will be another black eye that will dissuade consumers from purchasing.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Who, in their right mind, would ever think Microsoft would go in the right direction........ever?
  • cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Okay Ads will be there on the PS4 as well no doubt it in my mind .... but why do Microsoft keep fucking themselves over by announcing shit like this .

Pure comedy!

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Far to many reasons to pass on this system.

Thanks, but no thanks Microsoft.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lugal
    Originally posted by lizardbones http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Integrates-Xbox-One-Advertising-with-Kinect-To-Profile-Users-and-Deliver-Ads/ They want to make the Xbox an Ad Centric Experience, including using the Kinect to see groups of people and serve up group appropriate advertising. Ugh.
    I did not read the link, but if they do it like how Amazon has with the Kindle, pay more for no adds, less for adds. I think it will be a good way to go, as long as prices are reduced for add supported ones. If they do not do as Amazon, then this will be another black eye that will dissuade consumers from purchasing.

It's on all the time. The idea is that the advertising is embedded alongside native material. Think Facebook inline advertising that is in theory targeted for you. The idea behind interactive ads sounds sort of neat, a pick your own adventure kind of thing, except it's advertising, not a game.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again here. Microsoft's OS business is flat and they are losing money on their business division. Bing was a flop. The XBox One is their "All In" strategy. They are trying to make up all of the money they aren't making on their OS, Business and Advertising divisions though the XB1 because their Entertainment division is the only division that's growing. I didn't see the Advertising angle, but I guess I should have since it's in the current XBox's home page, you just don't notice it that much.

It is not just about the ads. That Kinect will be on at ALL times. Can anyone say with 100% certainty that they will know at all times what that thing is recording? Can they say with 100% certainty that someone hasn't snuck into the network and is watching/recording people? How do we know law enforcement hasn't already gotten Micro$oft to place a backdoor into XBL that allows them to use the Kinect as a bug? And who is to say they will go through the proper legal channels to obtain a warrant to do this? 

I know the favorite argument is "well if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about!" but that is not the case. I know it sounds really paranoid, but it is entirely possible. I worry more about the guy who isn't some form of law enforcement. The creep who could crack into XBL and record through Kinect and put up what ever was captured on the internet for everyone to see. I don't think it will be long before some dude jerkin it to the GTA V strip clubs ends up somewhere on the internet. (I mean really I just want to stroke in peace yo)

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

"Dun worry guiz! it's just there for motion sensing, skype and listening for you to say 'Xbawkz AWN!!!'"

I'm sure plenty of us have inadvertently installed spyware onto our computers in the past. But if anyone installs this spyware directly into their home they deserve what ever happens to them. And I intend to let anyone I know who obtains that console know how much of a moron they really are. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally posted by Four0Six

Glad to see people are contributing to the thread so well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski "Dun worry guiz! it's just there for motion sensing, skype and listening for you to say 'Xbawkz AWN!!!'" I'm sure plenty of us have inadvertently installed spyware onto our computers in the past. But if anyone installs this spyware directly into their home they deserve what ever happens to them. And I intend to let anyone I know who obtains that console know how much of a moron they really are.    Long live PC where atleast I'm spied on without my direct knowledge!

without my direct knowledge

Heh. Does make it easier to swallow, doesn't it?

Sorry was caught off guard by your statement about the PC, damn now I'm laughing again. One has to go to GREAT lengths to not get "tracked" at minimum when on the net. I hear ya though. Privacy is gone, and as a Libertarian I am mad about it. I close my blinds at night just because. not because I am a criminal.

Sorry was caught off guard by your statement about the PC, damn now I'm laughing again. One has to go to GREAT lengths to not get "tracked" at minimum when on the net. I hear ya though. Privacy is gone, and as a Libertarian I am mad about it. I close my blinds at night just because. not because I am a criminal.

"B-but if you're not a criminal you have nothing to worry about right!?" 

And that is where our privacy goes to die.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

You have it backwards.  It's pay more, get more ads, and you have no other options.

"B-but if you're not a criminal you have nothing to worry about right!?" 

And that is where our privacy goes to die.

Hence me a Libertarian. I stand for Liberty. The Right says it must protect me from evil on the inside, the Left says it is protecting me from evil on the outside. To me, it is clear they both must be wrong. Again, I stand for Liberty.

On an internet note: www.duckduckgo.com, safe internet search engine. They don't save any of your search data so there is nothing for "prying eyes" to see.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

As others already wrote, it's a whole different league than Kindle, where you see some ads on your idle screen if you bought the cheaper version. Kinect isn't a choice, it's mandatory. It has not only your book/magazine purchases to use for profiling and target the ads, it has visual and audio, and not only about you, your whole living room and everyone in it, 24/7.

"The other way the company wants to use Kinect is to monitor what's going on in the living room to serve you group-appropriate content"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

It is not just about the ads. That Kinect will be on at ALL times. Can anyone say with 100% certainty that they will know at all times what that thing is recording? Can they say with 100% certainty that someone hasn't snuck into the network and is watching/recording people? How do we know law enforcement hasn't already gotten Micro$oft to place a backdoor into XBL that allows them to use the Kinect as a bug? And who is to say they will go through the proper legal channels to obtain a warrant to do this? 

I know the favorite argument is "well if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about!" but that is not the case. I know it sounds really paranoid, but it is entirely possible. I worry more about the guy who isn't some form of law enforcement. The creep who could crack into XBL and record through Kinect and put up what ever was captured on the internet for everyone to see. I don't think it will be long before some dude jerkin it to the GTA V strip clubs ends up somewhere on the internet. (I mean really I just want to stroke in peace yo)

Worry no more, be safe in the knowledge that the back door is there, and it works, a constant internet connection is not required because it will upload any suspicious recordings when the connection is available, along with timestamps and a quick photo of the person using the keyword that prompted the recording in the first place.

technology is a wonderful thing really image

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by cribett

Okay Ads will be there on the PS4 as well no doubt it in my mind .... but why do Microsoft keep fucking themselves over by announcing shit like this .

Pure comedy!

not really neccessary... if Sony plays it right and announces that they're against ads on a gaming console might just be the final blow to microsofts xbox...

because why the hell would I want to see ads when I see them every 20 mins on the TV

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

My favorite quote from MS about the XBONE ads is:

"...the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash. "

I'm glad they: a) know what I consider disruptive which is any ad when I am already paying you for services; b) don't consider that if it is small and I am not aware that I am clicking banners then this is more disruptive (imo) to me.

I want a video game console to *drum roll* play video games on, not try to ninja ads in my face.  XBONE once again, has boned it.  Way to go MS, good job with understanding what gamers want (at least in my, and 4 friends case).

I know everyone wants to load up their new halo game and be bombarded with buy this or that.  Might as well go ahead and put in forced ads during load screens while your at it MS, or better yet, have a forced pause to watch an ad to continue in the game.  Why stop at your dashboard...

/sarcasmoff

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    People see ads on their pcs and internet everyday. This isn't an issue unless people want to make it one.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    People see ads on their pcs and internet everyday. This isn't an issue unless people want to make it one.

Not the same, you do not pay for the search engines or the site (you pay for access to the internet), so they recoup costs via ads.  MS is charging for the box, the service, and still giving you ads.  Cable used to be ad free, but no one had an 'issue' with them adding commercials while still raisng the rates.  You used to be able to see a movie without being bombarded by ads, but no one had an 'issue' with watching them so now we are bombarded with them.  You used to get all kinds of free swag from manufacturer's in the past to advertise their products, now most expect you to pay to advertise for them.  Magazines used to be free paid for by their ads, but research found people only placed value on them if they had an associated cost, so now we pay for them, etc...

This is an issue, but if the past is any indicator, we will (for the most part), have no issue with it and continue to pay to watch ads...

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

Not the same, you do not pay for the search engines or the site (you pay for access to the internet), so they recoup costs via ads.  MS is charging for the box, the service, and still giving you ads.  Cable used to be ad free, but no one had an 'issue' with them adding commercials while still raisng the rates.  You used to be able to see a movie without being bombarded by ads, but no one had an 'issue' with watching them so now we are bombarded with them.  You used to get all kinds of free swag from manufacturer's in the past to advertise their products, now most expect you to pay to advertise for them.  Magazines used to be free paid for by their ads, but research found people only placed value on them if they had an associated cost, so now we pay for them, etc...

This is an issue, but if the past is any indicator, we will (for the most part), have no issue with it and continue to pay to watch ads...

Cheers!

exactly my thoughts on the matter.  I won't be buying.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Why do people even care about this? You see ads everywhere in everyday life. Billboards on your drive to work or the store, on the internet. Hell, the "intel" sticker on the front of your computer case is an Ad for when your friends come over.  They're already on Xbox, so what's wrong with them serving targeted ads that you might actually care about? So, you're a guy sitting on your couch, instead of showing you an ad for tampons, they'll show you an ad for a grill. Personally, I feel this is better than random ads.

It was a given that there would be ads on the new xbox, because there are already ads on the current xbox. Why not give them a chance to make the ads have something you might care about in them?

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

Originally posted by Raunu

Why do people even care about this? You see ads everywhere in everyday life. Billboards on your drive to work or the store, on the internet. Hell, the "intel" sticker on the front of your computer case is an Ad for when your friends come over.  They're already on Xbox, so what's wrong with them serving targeted ads that you might actually care about? So, you're a guy sitting on your couch, instead of showing you an ad for tampons, they'll show you an ad for a grill. Personally, I feel this is better than random ads.

It was a given that there would be ads on the new xbox, because there are already ads on the current xbox. Why not give them a chance to make the ads have something you might care about in them?

It isn't the adds. It is the gathering of my "meta" data so they can directly target me. I call that spying. I read that the Xbox-1 is intended to use the Kinect to constantly watch, and snap pics of who is using the console. Again Spying. Have you not watched Minority Report, or any other science fiction, where you are greeted by LCD screens that address you by name as you enter a store? These are not just simply adds that pop up willy nilly. They are target directly at you. Now sit back and say aloud, "Self, how on earth will they target me if they aren't watching what I do, what I watch, where I web-surf, what I eat, etc, etc.". Then let the paranoia creep in. Then say this, "Just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after me.". Imagine how you will feel when you go to the cashier, and they say, "No, you actually want the blue one, and you would like tofu better." After a bit you will become comfortable with them "helping" you, and you wont even notice when they stop using the data to generate what YOU actually want, and begin to use the system to steer you into eating, wearing, living, liking what THEY want you to want.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I've been doing pretty well fighting off the feeling that I'm getting older (hopefully wiser, but definitely older) and this is just one more blow. It seems clear, with each update, that I'm no longer in the target demographic for this product. :(

It's a shame. I enjoyed the original xbox and thought the 360 + Kinect had a ton of potential. I guess the potential I saw was just significantly different then the potential the marketing team saw.

For various reasons, I'm not inclined to pick up the new PlayStation, so looks like I'll be sitting this generation out. I'll always have PC gaming, but some of the 'exclusives', for either console, do look appealing. On the plus side, I suppose I can chalk this up as 'money saved'. :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

This is just proof that the private sector can do ANYTHING better than the government...even spying XD