Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I have heard it before, but it's not true the mmorpg market is flooded

BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,393Member
I have heard some say there are to many games. I am here to say there are not enough though. Take out the garbage and we are really only left witha small pool of quality mmorpgs that actually have potential to keep a sustainable playerbase and enabling the possibility of having an established community.

Its been like that for a while now and it keeps us up against the ropes. So much up against the ropes we take on the hallucination that what ever the next mmo is, its going to be the one we have finally been waiting for. Its like that image of the guy wondering in the desert and no matter what he sees, he envisions a glass of water.

Anyone else feel thats the case? Or do you feel the market actualky is flooded? I have to say the draw for me to play mmorpgs is sustainable community. F2p titles and games that are to easy will not have sustainable community.

Comments

  • Baramos79Baramos79 Indianapolis, INPosts: 73Member
    I don't think there are too many games, just too many bad games.
  • ozmonoozmono Not tellingPosts: 1,211Member

    I'm going to play devils advocate here so cut me some slack.

     

    The market will be proven to be flooded when most of these new games die within a year or two. The only way the market cannot be considered flooded is if a substantial amount of these games survive. Other than social aspects the main advantage of a MMO is in the long term. More content, persistence, more replayability, more updates etc. For a MMO to be successful it needs to survive beyond the short term more so than a single player game. If the majority of new MMOs don't survive beyond the short term it will suggest that the market is indeed flooded, in the least by similar games.

  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

    the problem here is that while it is true that most of these games are bad each one dose manage to hold onto a few hundred people, and with each MMO doing this we see less and less players to go towards the good games that we want to have supported, the reason for this is unlike SP games, most of the time when a prson is playing a MMO they are only playing one, some of us can and will play 2 or even sometimes 3 but for the most part most only play one.

    this aspect is different from other games cause often people will be playing half a dozen games at a time and even when not they will still pick up or support a game they ahvent played yet, with MMO this often isn't the case.

    so on this line of subject the market is indeed flooded we got a few hundred MMO now unlike 10 years ago where there was less then 50, so the pool of players that a MMO can be supporte with is growing a bit thin. which is one of the reason for the turn and burn style MMOs that have started rearing their ugly ehads.

     

    ok I ranted a bit and lost myself in their somewhere but I hope I got my point across if not meh chalk it up to the strange crazy rat making no sence.

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  • page975page975 Scranton, PAPosts: 312Member
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I have heard some say there are to many games. I am here to say there are not enough though. Take out the garbage and we are really only left witha small pool of quality mmorpgs that actually have potential to keep a sustainable playerbase and enabling the possibility of having an established community. Its been like that for a while now and it keeps us up against the ropes. So much up against the ropes we take on the hallucination that what ever the next mmo is, its going to be the one we have finally been waiting for. Its like that image of the guy wondering in the desert and no matter what he sees, he envisions a glass of water. Anyone else feel thats the case? Or do you feel the market actualky is flooded? I have to say the draw for me to play mmorpgs is sustainable community. F2p titles and games that are to easy will not have sustainable community.

     

  • GorweGorwe ZagrebPosts: 2,472Member Uncommon
    Time for a history lesson!

    Once upon a time, there were a number of MMOs. Meridian 59, Dust (I think it was 512 tho I am not sure), EQ, UO, DAoC, SWG and AC. Each one of those was an universe unto itself. Seperate subgenres really. Now let's fast forward to today. Out of all those games, only EQ's model thrives(thanks to WoW). All other subgenres are largely forgotten. AC has had a full game in its subgenre, Dust and meridian none(maybe one-two currently-planetsides), UO none(well maybe eve lol), DAoC one failed game(perhaps we can go as far as GW 2, but I doubt that) and SWG none. Meanwhile EQ has had what? 675 games in its subgenre?

    It's not that the MMO market is flooded. It's that the EQ type Themepark market is drowned in the Flood of biblical proportions(Noah anyone?). That's the truth imho.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,393Member
    Originally posted by Gorwe

    Time for a history lesson!

    Once upon a time, there were a number of MMOs. Meridian 59, Dust (I think it was 512 tho I am not sure), EQ, UO, DAoC, SWG and AC. Each one of those was an universe unto itself. Seperate subgenres really. Now let's fast forward to today. Out of all those games, only EQ's model thrives(thanks to WoW). All other subgenres are largely forgotten. AC has had a full game in its subgenre, Dust and meridian none(maybe one-two currently-planetsides), UO none(well maybe eve lol), DAoC one failed game(perhaps we can go as far as GW 2, but I doubt that) and SWG none. Meanwhile EQ has had what? 675 games in its subgenre?

    It's not that the MMO market is flooded. It's that the EQ type Themepark market is drowned in the Flood of biblical proportions(Noah anyone?). That's the truth imho.

     

    Thats a lack of variety problem, but its a good point as well.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,636Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Squeak69

    the problem here is that while it is true that most of these games are bad each one dose manage to hold onto a few hundred people,

    One would think devs would realize that and start building with that size in mind.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,972Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Time for a history lesson!

    Once upon a time, there were a number of MMOs. Meridian 59, Dust (I think it was 512 tho I am not sure), EQ, UO, DAoC, SWG and AC. Each one of those was an universe unto itself. Seperate subgenres really. Now let's fast forward to today. Out of all those games, only EQ's model thrives(thanks to WoW). All other subgenres are largely forgotten. AC has had a full game in its subgenre, Dust and meridian none(maybe one-two currently-planetsides), UO none(well maybe eve lol), DAoC one failed game(perhaps we can go as far as GW 2, but I doubt that) and SWG none. Meanwhile EQ has had what? 675 games in its subgenre?

    It's not that the MMO market is flooded. It's that the EQ type Themepark market is drowned in the Flood of biblical proportions(Noah anyone?). That's the truth imho.

    Have to agree, once WOW took the EQ model and turned it into the clear market leader developers abandoned the design concepts found in other early MMORPG titles and began delivering countless variations of basically the same game which I've certainly grown tired of, even if others are still willing to pay for it.

    A "clone" of SWG, AC1, DAOC or UO would be an extremely welcome change, at least from the types of games I'd like to play.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Danbury, DEPosts: 389Member

    Ummm.......try this.

     

    Go to the Game List section on this very website.  Click the Date tab twice so that you get the newest first.  Then scroll, scroll, and scroll some more....and while you are at it start counting.  I lost count at around 150...and I am not even sure I got half way through.

    WOW makes up a big chunk of the MMO gaming population, then start doing some math.  At some point you will come to the conclusion that there simply cannot be that many MMO gamers out there to match the number of games.

     

    Now you know your topic is totally ridiculous.

Sign In or Register to comment.