Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a game to us?

fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Like the title says we are looking for a new mmo style game to sink our teeth into. We = 2 x 30 year old "gaming" couple.

Games we've tried and long since moved on from:

• Guild Wars 2 (keep trying to go back to this, but with multiple level 80 chars each its not very compelling)
  • EVE Online (I still play but the other half does not. Grrr Goons!)
  • Rift
  • Aion (been a couple of years since playing this one)
  • The Secret World (played for a couple of weeks, almost fits below)
  • World of Warcraft (enough said)
Game that don't seem to be worth the money or we tried for a couple of hours only and went 'meh':
  • Defiance (like the series but rather spend the $39 on FF next month considering the reviews)
  • Scarlet Blade (OMG BOOBS!)
  • The Starwars one

We might consider returning to Rift since its gone free to play but not for any compelling reasons we can see when it comes to content/gameplay. What we are looking for is something new but the mechanics need to be similar to most mmos and the community needs to be vibrant and decent.

Oh yeah, she also requires the ability to play dress up with her female characters.. so there is that.

Are there any games we haven't heard of that are worth the download and a look?

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    you might try lord of the rings online it is a lot of fun my wife and I played it for about 5 years it has a very good community and it has a ton of outfits your other half can wear.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Given that getting your hands on some Beta keys is pretty easy you may want to give Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn a try.  There is no voice acting but the story is top notch as you might expect from a Final Fantasy game.  It's scheduled for launch in August.  The combat is nothing revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination but I still find myself more drawn to login to this game than the majority of the ones you listed (I've played/own them all).
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    LOTRO, especially Landroval server if you're looking for a nice community with some optional roleplay elements.  There's a wardrobe feature for "dress-up" and player housing that allows a decent amount of decoration.  No shortage of females, too, and you can always RP as a couple if that's your thing.
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    I would suggest to give Rift another try. There is plenty of new content. If the lady likes dressups then check out ArcheAge Online wich will be released in near future. Even further away is Gloria Victis wich already has a really nice community. The vame will have alot of customization through cashshop and the devs are discussing rp-servers atm. So who knows. Visit the forum here: www.gloriavictisgame.com
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I would also recommend LOTRO.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by FearU

What we are looking for is something new but the mechanics need to be similar to most mmos and the community needs to be vibrant and decent.

So basically, you want something that is slightly new but mostly a retread, so that you'll be 90% of the way to being sick of it the day you pick it up?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP,

if you two like shooters i would recommend Warframe. PvE coop hack n slash third person shooter space ninja coolness with some parkour stuff.

As for mmos other than the ones you listed i would say try Tera (although thats just Aion with reticle aiming) and probably you would enjoy Neverwinter for a while at least, maybe more, who knows. Its actually fun with someone else.

And also Age of Wushu.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Age of Wushu. Heh yeah I dig that but the girl not so much!

So we ended up trying out Neverwinter tonight. To those suggesting LOTRO its fairly similar to Neverwinter in some aspects, but feels a bit more modern in both graphics and general gameplay since the last time I played LOTRO. Not 2013 graphics mind you, but that aside it was both well put together and fairly engaging, with the targeting/combat mechanics being a bit different but fairly easy to get used to.

So going to see where Neverwinter leads us methinks.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Everquest 2

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

play Firefall if you like shooters. open beta starts next week, its gone through tremendous changes

as others have said, one of the best fantasy f2p games out is Lord of the Rings Online. You really should try it. Theres a lot of cosmetic options, costume tab, lots of different horse mounts etc.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Firefall has the worst graphics i have seen a long time..if you recomment a shooter...than at least recommment PS2

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe