Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Would you play an mmo where your character is ordinary?

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Purutzil

In the end though, a game that makes you a hero ONLY after you do accomplish something I feel has nothing wrong with it and in ways is a lot more realistic. 

i think that makes perfect sense on instanced personal stories. But out in the open world it actually looks funny and not very realistic when you accomplish greatness and the NPC is rewarding you and regarding you as a hero while the same NPC is doing the same thing to 100 other players right next to you lol

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Well not every game does this, but a lot do give you that feel of a hero, and honestly I don't think its wrong. When done right it can feel like, you know, you are actually a hero considering the tasks you do. Rift often kind of does this as a good example often speaking to you as an ascendant, which is in ways just a glorified soldier really in the world. A lot of other games do give this approach as well giving you that feeling of being important without being the 'you are the one' type of response.

In the end, being ordinary would be... well boring. The acts you are doing SHOULD be extroidinary in some games, though a sandbox would likely represent you in a different fashion. In the end though, a game that makes you a hero ONLY after you do accomplish something I feel has nothing wrong with it and in ways is a lot more realistic. 

Ascendants are NOT ordinary!!!! They are resurrected gods basically. If you were ordinary you would not have special powers, abilities, etc..... what type of game play would you have? You would use maybe special weapons, but that already exists... it's called war games, military games. If you want that there is already games out there for that. In a fantasy mmorpg you have hero type characters, to take that away you would lose most of what makes them fantasy.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Well not every game does this, but a lot do give you that feel of a hero, and honestly I don't think its wrong. When done right it can feel like, you know, you are actually a hero considering the tasks you do. Rift often kind of does this as a good example often speaking to you as an ascendant, which is in ways just a glorified soldier really in the world. A lot of other games do give this approach as well giving you that feeling of being important without being the 'you are the one' type of response.

In the end, being ordinary would be... well boring. The acts you are doing SHOULD be extroidinary in some games, though a sandbox would likely represent you in a different fashion. In the end though, a game that makes you a hero ONLY after you do accomplish something I feel has nothing wrong with it and in ways is a lot more realistic. 

Ascendants are NOT ordinary!!!! They are resurrected gods basically. If you were ordinary you would not have special powers, abilities, etc..... what type of game play would you have? You would use maybe special weapons, but that already exists... it's called war games, military games. If you want that there is already games out there for that. In a fantasy mmorpg you have hero type characters, to take that away you would lose most of what makes them fantasy.

Fantasy isn't the only genre out there even if it has been done to death, then revived and done to death all over again.  

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Kind of a stupid poll.

You can tell a great MMO story without being a larger than life hero. In fact, most of the best stories are just so.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Sure. I'd play in a Kung Fu ancient China game (and NOT AoW :P) and be a simple pottery maker. I'd make a fortune.

All those martial artists practicing their 'Gung Fu' smashing pots left and right. I wouldn't be able to keep up the demand.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

I doubt i would play such a game.

There is no need to be THE hero. Actualy i don't like games where you are the ultimate hero but i like to play games where you start out as an ordinary person with potential and become something more, together with a group(like your guild but not in the sense of all other players of the game). Its best described as you become a hero among a few equals.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Or at least start off that way. Then have the ability to gain reknown outside of a scripted story..the same way PvP players are known on their servers or multi-servers or even over the forums of various sites. If they could do this in PvE as well...like you single-handedly conquer a bandit leader or monarch or monster that would be very diffcult to kill or depose...you gain reknown. Town criers announce it , its posted on a board or you hear gossip about another npc that spread from another city far away. Eventually you're known every where for that..etc. If you were part of a team then all would share a lesser reknown equally.

Some system where maybe wandering or randomly travelrouted NPC's would overlap and If you killed someone in (using WOW as example) Tirisal falls...a traveller through Bree might bring the news to the undercity where it might transfer to a few people who bring it to Orgrimmar and/or Sepulcher etc. It could work like a contagion buff with a predeternined time limit based on the magnitude of the feat accomplished... which tranfers only through wandering pathed NPC's to other pathed or stationary NPCs with which they come in contact . Stationary NPCs would only hold the info (for a time) in case another travelling NPC passed by to collect it. The buff would likely diminish by degrees with each transfer to stationary npcs but gain a bit if transferred to another travelling NPC. There may be a tick down to where it becomes "old news" ..generating less reknown until it finally dies to zero or another Players greater achievement may eclipse yours and end its spread altogether..sometimes before it even got very far. A carrier or staionary NPC could carry multiple players reknown but the buff duration would vary depending on the different grades of feats accomplished with some capable of being eclipsed by others of higher grades as stated previously.

There could be negative and positive reknown as well I imagine depending on the nature of your feat. Committing a good action or a evil offense would carry different reknown..good and bad reknown. The balance of which could even dictate a characters alignment..so to speak.

I think this could generate a different form of competition and even produce your own personal nemesis without actually having to defeat him/her in battle.  You could even start this reknown system by killing a higher reknown and level player than yourself. Reknown varying on the disparity between you and them. The spread working the same way of course.

Players can't transport their own or other players  info of great feats to other places. I think this would prevent abuse.Maybe there could be a bulletin board that ..if updated by a reknown carrying npc could then be refreshed one time only by the player. This would at least make the player travel around to see if his reknown has carried that far and reset it for re-trabsfer once per city board affected but only once. The inital point of origin would be the intial quest giver after the quest is "completed" or the closest travelling NPC when you complete the quest  (in the case of dynamic events or hard world bosses..etc)

I know this is a bit of a ramble and I'm no programmer/coder that's for sure but I hope you get the picture. You can become the hero if you choose without it being completely arbitrary and scripted. In theory.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If everyone is the hero, doesn't that by definition make us all ordinary anyways?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You just described UO and severeal other MMOs.

It is in the versatile, ordinary role the player is handed that players are able to carve their niche and excel in an area. ATITD, UO, EVE... all the MMOs that allow a player to be ordinary are the ones that have actual heroes and notable people. I'd play them, and have played them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

I was one of the few that was fine with being an Uncle Owen.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• BrueskieBrueskie Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I always roll my eyes at quest text—either in a MMO or single-player RPG—which blows smoke up my ass about how I'm the chosen one or some such shit. I'd happily play an ordinary schmuck if the gameplay is there.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    If everyone is the hero, doesn't that by definition make us all ordinary anyways?

Not if the game treats you like you're the only one.

Topics like this always remind me of "Bard's Tale" when your character ,who early on has  been called "The Chosen One", walks around and at least once in every chapter there's a body on the ground that ,when you highlight or put your mouse over it , says " Chosen One"...really hilarious at the time it was made.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Topics like this always remind me of "Bard's Tale" when your character ,who early on has  been called "The Chosen One", walks around and at least once in every chapter there's a body on the ground that ,when you highlight or put your mouse over it , says " Chosen One"...really hilarious at the time it was made.

"Oh, it's bad luck to be you.
    A chosen one of many isn't new
    When you think you're full of luck
    in the bullock's you'll get struck
    Oh, it's bad luck to be you."

Originally posted by Drakynn

"Oh, it's bad luck to be you.
    A chosen one of many isn't new
    When you think you're full of luck
    in the bullock's you'll get struck
    Oh, it's bad luck to be you."

lol

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Main reason I liked Dragon Age 2 more than Dragon Age 1 was... it felt more real, more understandable to me, Hawk was the champion of a city, granted but he wasn't some doomed chosen one that sacrificed any hope of dying of old age to beat ultimate evil.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"Oh, it's bad luck to be you.A chosen one of many isn't newWhen you think you're full of luckin the bullock's you'll get struckOh, it's bad luck to be you."
    The game where my cheeks hurt from laughing so much!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

"Oh, it's bad luck to be you.A chosen one of many isn't newWhen you think you're full of luckin the bullock's you'll get struckOh, it's bad luck to be you."

I have never played that game, but that video certainly made me interested. Thanks! :D

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I'd actually prefer your scenario, OP..

its much more realistic than 1000 "main heroes" running around.

It can be pictured perfectly in a game like Lotro,where the true characters,the main heroes are npc's - Frodo,Gandalf,Aragorn,Gimli etc..and your character is helping fight off the evil while those main characters are on their journey with the ring.Though the game does plug you as a hero,at least you get the sense that youre a 'lesser' hero.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I have never played that game, but that video certainly made me interested. Thanks! :D

you should be able to find it cheap on steam or GOG or even cheaper on iOS or android it was brilliantly ported to those devices with good touch controls.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Original SWG - "The greatest story ever told - yours."

^^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Being ordinary would not be a problem at all.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

I wouldn't mind starting out that way, but need to have the chance to grow and become a main character through my deeds. If not whats the point of playing in a fantasy world. I can be an anonymous cog in the real world.

And some of those claiming they would like being ordinary in the game might just be fooling themselves.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

After a long day of work, I can come home to my MMO and play as a:

A) Desk clerk

B) Janitor

or

C) Gas station attendant

Sounds like a lot of fun (If my REAL job was fighting dragons and saving the world from certain extinction...)

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97

to be honest i feel like im just a ordinary soldir/archer in mmos even if there are alot npcs all the time prising me but those are just npcs and im on of 5k other player charater around that try to kill whatever and mey fail or not