Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beyond The Cockpit - What Star Citizen could be in time...

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Thought I'd bring this discussion over here :)

...What COULD BE, in time...

Star Citizen may have started as the most ambitions space flight sim but it's quickly becoming the most ambitious SCI-FI game, period.

We know Squadron 42 will kick off the game experience but where it goes from there has gone far beyond dogfighting.

From the first moment Chris talked about standing on the bridge of a battle ship watching your friend in a fighter fly by, I was hooked. Since then, we've found out about new systems, cities, worlds, and out of cockpit combat using your actual avatar.

More than that, we know we'll be able to land in said cities, space stations etc. which are meant to be vibrant living places. I'm picturing something along the lines of visiting the Citadel in Mass Effect for example, but on a multiplayer scale.

I imagine such places will have social hubs where you can meet your NPC contacts for all sorts of job contracts or hang out with friends.

Perhaps there will be mini-games such as betting on races, card games, etc.

Being a narrative designer, I'm extremely excited by the potential of where this game can go, given the proper support, talent and time.

I'm looking forward to the 'out of cockpit' experience just as much as the space sim features of the game and I truly hope this will be the game that finally allows me to move in, get my character a home, start a business if I want and discover what life might be like among the stars.

THINKS I WOULD LOVE TO EVENTUALLY SEE:

-DOCKS & GARAGES: Selling ships, ship parts/upgrades and possibly other world based vehicles eventually

-PLAYER HOMES: Even something as simple as a small, customizable apartment with a large window overlooking one of the major cities

-SHOPS: All sorts ranging from cosmetic items such as clothing, weapons, armor, furniture

-APPEARANCE MODIFICATION: The ability to go change your hair, basic appearance or even go as far as getting 'plastic surgery' to dodge a bounty or recover some lost looks due to battle

-WORK: Lots of NPC's, with lots of work contracts in all the many possible fields one can be hired for in such a sci-fi setting

-OUT OF COCKPIT MISSIONS: Much like the Mass Effect series, I'd love to see some missions taking advantage of the out of cockpit combat experience. Take down pirate bases, get into a hideout to capture a bounty after having flown to this hide out and taken out sentry drones, etc.

-DYNAMIC CONTENT: When executed well, dynamic content can make a virtual playground really come alive and feel like a real place with evolving situations where the player has the options to make actionable differences in their world.

-EVOLVING TIMELINE: Wars breaking out, political assassinations, corporate takeovers - all happening, some player driven, some story driven, all making the universe come to life.

-SOCIAL ACTIVITIES & GAMES: Sometimes, you just want to stop flying for a bit and relax with friends over a good conversation and a game of cards or decide you've got money to burn and place some bets on races. The more activities and games, the better!

-TACTICAL 1st/3rd Person Combat: I know this is a touchy subject for some but I believe for many reasons there is great benefit to giving the player the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person perspective on the fly. Aside from just wanting to do this depending on whatever activity I may be enjoying at the time, for combat this can be especially useful - especially when it comes to tactical combat. The GHOST RECON / RAINBOW SIX  games are great examples of this and while it's much more of an action/arcade combat system, MASS EFFECT 2/3 handled this really well too.

I could go on... All this and more can be achieved in time, but it's important not to get over ambitious and take things one step at a time or risk stretching resources far too thin. I believe the folks at RSI definitely have what it takes... which is why I will continue to support them as much as I can, when I can.

Thanks for reading and feel free to discuss some things you guys would like to see in the greater sense of Star Citizen beyond the cockpit experience.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

This game has some amazing minds behind it, if they fulfill all promises made this game will set new standards. The Squadron 42 game sounds fun, but the persistent world mode that will come out later is where the potential is at. They are going to have to have some amazing AI for this to work properly.

I hope this game is like Firefly in alot of ways, and I want to be like the brown coats. It amazes me that this is the first space sim of its kind, and it's an indie game! They still got till Nov 2014 for the beta and they are already at $13.2 mill so things are looking good and the potential is even better!

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    It amazes me that this is the first space sim

Actually  JumpGate was. But im still stoked for SC, it  looks sweeeet.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I'd say no to third person ship views. There should be little complaint if everyone is tied to the same perspective, while if there are two different perspectives to choose from, it creates balance issue, and also neglects the amazing amount of detail they put into the cockpits and their attempt to create a visceral and immersive experience.

Choice is nice, but this is still a space sim. I would like to stick to the cockpit just like I have to with cockpits in real life. I think allowing third person view in this game is the wrong choice, considering the type of game it is.

Originally posted by Butch808
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    It amazes me that this is the first space sim

Actually  JumpGate was. But im still stoked for SC, it  looks sweeeet.

I meant of it's kind no other space sim that I know of lets you roam the planets outside of your ship.

Originally posted by denshing

I'd say no to third person ship views. There should be little complaint if everyone is tied to the same perspective, while if there are two different perspectives to choose from, it creates balance issue, and also neglects the amazing amount of detail they put into the cockpits and their attempt to create a visceral and immersive experience.

Choice is nice, but this is still a space sim. I would like to stick to the cockpit just like I have to with cockpits in real life. I think allowing third person view in this game is the wrong choice, considering the type of game it is.

With the oculus rift first person would be the only camera I'd use.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

I am so used to being pessimistic. I'd be happy if we have a little decent space sim going, I'd throw money at him. Believe in the dream and don't be corrupted.

It's kind of silly how MMO's have amazing potential and nobody's tapping it.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

+1 OP, +1 for a Blade Runner Lons Angeles city

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Not to sound like a buzz killer but lets first see the game launched. I am not saying it will be a dud or anything but it will most certainly have growing pains because it's a bloody ambitious project and may take years to reach its full promise.

Also personally I am waiting on Elite Dangerous but that's just me :) never liked Wing Commander type games, liked games "built in the spirit of Elite".

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Star Citizen may have started as the most ambitions space flight sim but it's quickly becoming the most ambitious SCI-FI game, period.

We know Squadron 42 will kick off the game experience but where it goes from there has gone far beyond dogfighting.

From the first moment Chris talked about standing on the bridge of a battle ship watching your friend in a fighter fly by, I was hooked. Since then, we've found out about new systems, cities, worlds, and out of cockpit combat using your actual avatar.

More than that, we know we'll be able to land in said cities, space stations etc. which are meant to be vibrant living places. I'm picturing something along the lines of visiting the Citadel in Mass Effect for example, but on a multiplayer scale.

I imagine such places will have social hubs where you can meet your NPC contacts for all sorts of job contracts or hang out with friends.

Being a narrative designer, I'm extremely excited by the potential of where this game can go, given the proper support, talent and time.

I'm looking forward to the 'out of cockpit' experience just as much as the space sim features of the game and I truly hope this will be the game that finally allows me to move in, get my character a home, start a business if I want and discover what life might be like among the stars.

-DOCKS & GARAGES: Selling ships, ship parts/upgrades and possibly other world based vehicles eventually

-PLAYER HOMES: Even something as simple as a small, customizable apartment with a large window overlooking one of the major cities

-SHOPS: All sorts ranging from cosmetic items such as clothing, weapons, armor, furniture

-APPEARANCE MODIFICATION: The ability to go change your hair, basic appearance or even go as far as getting 'plastic surgery' to dodge a bounty or recover some lost looks due to battle

-WORK: Lots of NPC's, with lots of work contracts in all the many possible fields one can be hired for in such a sci-fi setting

-OUT OF COCKPIT MISSIONS: Much like the Mass Effect series, I'd love to see some missions taking advantage of the out of cockpit combat experience. Take down pirate bases, get into a hideout to capture a bounty after having flown to this hide out and taken out sentry drones, etc.

-DYNAMIC CONTENT: When executed well, dynamic content can make a virtual playground really come alive and feel like a real place with evolving situations where the player has the options to make actionable differences in their world.

-EVOLVING TIMELINE: Wars breaking out, political assassinations, corporate takeovers - all happening, some player driven, some story driven, all making the universe come to life.

-SOCIAL ACTIVITIES & GAMES: Sometimes, you just want to stop flying for a bit and relax with friends over a good conversation and a game of cards or decide you've got money to burn and place some bets on races. The more activities and games, the better!

-TACTICAL 1st/3rd Person Combat: I know this is a touchy subject for some but I believe for many reasons there is great benefit to giving the player the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person perspective on the fly. Aside from just wanting to do this depending on whatever activity I may be enjoying at the time, for combat this can be especially useful - especially when it comes to tactical combat. The GHOST RECON / RAINBOW SIX  games are great examples of this and while it's much more of an action/arcade combat system, MASS EFFECT 2/3 handled this really well too.

I could go on... All this and more can be achieved in time, but it's important not to get over ambitious and take things one step at a time or risk stretching resources far too thin. I believe the folks at RSI definitely have what it takes... which is why I will continue to support them as much as I can, when I can.

Thanks for reading and feel free to discuss some things you guys would like to see in the greater sense of Star Citizen beyond the cockpit experience.

They plan on having most of this after release, during the 24hr livestream a friend of mine went to the CIG offices and they talked about the future of the game and said all of this is possibly coming and are able to do it , its something the CR and developer would like to see as well, so don't fret :D we have a truly 2nd existence coming but it will come in pieces start off small and expand out from there.

• RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by DeaconX

+1 OP for this idea.

I agree 100% on your genius idea.

But before they tackle this i hope they devote 100% of their efforts to produce an amazing if not the best space sim out there. 

Imagine sitting around a table playing a poker game (just an idea so that people in the ship have something to pass time) with your fellow pilots and a couple of marines laughing and joking over TS3 when suddenly the alarms start blaring. You all start rushing out of the crew quarters racing for the hangar as the marines split off to the armory. You get to your fighter/interceptor/bomber whatever your flying and jet out the hangar with no loading screens in the way.

As a marine you go to the armory getting your armor and weapons and other such gear. ( id say the equipement management system should be similar to planetside 1) When you have all your gear you rush to the hangar where a drop ship is waiting for you. You load up, 10 men per dropship, and blast into space. As you approach the enemy ship a friendly fighter flies by blasting the enemies hangar doors open. Your ship lands and you pile out to begin your invasion.

Or even better being the Grand Admiral of your fleet standing on your bridge giving orders to all your captains to strategically attack the enemy fleet. But heres what would make the game much more fun. You can assign another player of your fleet as your first officer and he is there on the bridge with you helping you with command always there if you need him while your bridge crew, again players or ai if players arent taking that station, are working hard to keep up with your orders.

That... that my friends would be epic on an MMO altering scale.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

If we get even half of what the OP said, I will become a permanent Star Citizen.

I will hold up in my office, get a porta-pottie and lots of coffee. Put a sign on my door that say "do not open unless nuclear war"

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Rewhymo

+1 OP for this idea.

I agree 100% on your genius idea.

But before they tackle this i hope they devote 100% of their efforts to produce an amazing if not the best space sim out there. 

Imagine sitting around a table playing a poker game (just an idea so that people in the ship have something to pass time) with your fellow pilots and a couple of marines laughing and joking over TS3 when suddenly the alarms start blaring. You all start rushing out of the crew quarters racing for the hangar as the marines split off to the armory. You get to your fighter/interceptor/bomber whatever your flying and jet out the hangar with no loading screens in the way.

As a marine you go to the armory getting your armor and weapons and other such gear. ( id say the equipement management system should be similar to planetside 1) When you have all your gear you rush to the hangar where a drop ship is waiting for you. You load up, 10 men per dropship, and blast into space. As you approach the enemy ship a friendly fighter flies by blasting the enemies hangar doors open. Your ship lands and you pile out to begin your invasion.

Or even better being the Grand Admiral of your fleet standing on your bridge giving orders to all your captains to strategically attack the enemy fleet. But heres what would make the game much more fun. You can assign another player of your fleet as your first officer and he is there on the bridge with you helping you with command always there if you need him while your bridge crew, again players or ai if players arent taking that station, are working hard to keep up with your orders.

That... that my friends would be epic on an MMO altering scale.

Yeah... I was thinking the other day that not only does this game have the potential to be what a lot of people wish EVE-Online could be but also what people hoped Star Trek Online and SWTOR could have been as well. This will be a game that will compete with just about every other Scifi game out there. Only time will tell.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }