Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR had the best combat of any MMO since WoW.

Comments

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

u srs?? =/

WoW was good because of it's fast ability response, depth in groups and novelty to many. SWTOR was sluggish, shallow and old news.

The best combat IMO is between GW2 and Neverwinter. GW2 would be perfect with aimed attacks and more abilities. Tab-targeting and AoE spam are dead, let's bury them.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by tixylix

I'm gonna say this now, I hate this strive for action based combat, mainly because no MMO has gotten it right. They always feel like this awkward mix between the tabbed based system and some poor TPS and have some focus on AOE and it always feels shoddy. No MMO has gotten it right and I don't think they will due to the conservative approach on the genre, they make too many compromises due to the stress on the network and what tech can do these days on modest systems. 

I loved SWTORs combat when the game came out, it was about the only thing that game got right. World PVP was so fun (when you managed to get it) and it reminded me of a mix between WoW and SWG. It was almost as fluid as WoW but the combat had the length of SWGs battles, I just loved 1 v 1s in SWTOR, fights could last like 10 mins. You could take hits and recover, it wasn't game over and you could just act really smart and pull it back. 

It used the traditional trinity system and got it right, tabbed based tank/dps/healer combat hasn't died, GW2 proved that it's the better system. I just find it a shame that SWTOR made the combat pace faster and ruined it since, I don't find the combat fun any more. However pre 1.2 and whatever else they've done to it since was amazing, I really hope EQN uses a similar system and not some stupid action based system that will suck like every other MMO that has attempted it. 

Lets be honest here there hasn't been a good complete MMO since WoW and I'm talking Vanilla, not the butchered fan service MMO it has become. I loved EQ, PS, SWG, EVE and even thought PS2 was good but needed another year of development. When I think about it, it's been 8 years since I played an MMO and felt like it was home, one that I wanted to play every day, though tbh at all lol.... There has been this big focused on action and streamlining, it hasn't worked. SWTOR came closest but that game failed from not having a game world and ppl playing MMOs want to feel like they're in a world. 

SWTOR has best combat since WoW?! Why do I feel like you are trolling?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by IridescentOrk
    Age of Conan owns combat in every single way.

i have to say that Age of Conan (along with GW2) have my two favorite combat systems ever. AoC combat is just fantastic.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

The best combat IMO is between GW2 and Neverwinter. GW2 would be perfect with aimed attacks and more abilities. Tab-targeting and AoE spam are dead, let's bury them.

i think Neverwinter had a good combat when it wasnt rooted in place. Once they made my wizard root in place they killed the combat. I love GW2 combat, it doesnt need tab for anything and my mouse is still free so i can do whatever i want with it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

I'm gonna say this now, I hate this strive for action based combat, mainly because no MMO has gotten it right. They always feel like this awkward mix between the tabbed based system and some poor TPS and have some focus on AOE and it always feels shoddy. No MMO has gotten it right and I don't think they will due to the conservative approach on the genre, they make too many compromises due to the stress on the network and what tech can do these days on modest systems. 

I loved SWTORs combat when the game came out, it was about the only thing that game got right. World PVP was so fun (when you managed to get it) and it reminded me of a mix between WoW and SWG. It was almost as fluid as WoW but the combat had the length of SWGs battles, I just loved 1 v 1s in SWTOR, fights could last like 10 mins. You could take hits and recover, it wasn't game over and you could just act really smart and pull it back. 

It used the traditional trinity system and got it right, tabbed based tank/dps/healer combat hasn't died, GW2 proved that it's the better system. I just find it a shame that SWTOR made the combat pace faster and ruined it since, I don't find the combat fun any more. However pre 1.2 and whatever else they've done to it since was amazing, I really hope EQN uses a similar system and not some stupid action based system that will suck like every other MMO that has attempted it. 

Lets be honest here there hasn't been a good complete MMO since WoW and I'm talking Vanilla, not the butchered fan service MMO it has become. I loved EQ, PS, SWG, EVE and even thought PS2 was good but needed another year of development. When I think about it, it's been 8 years since I played an MMO and felt like it was home, one that I wanted to play every day, though tbh at all lol.... There has been this big focused on action and streamlining, it hasn't worked. SWTOR came closest but that game failed from not having a game world and ppl playing MMOs want to feel like they're in a world. 

SWTOR has best combat since WoW?! Why do I feel like you are trolling?

Most of what he has said is how he feels I believe. I don't think he was trying to be sarcastic or anything. He has a lot of good points about the game. 

The actual character movement is fast and responsive. I think with that and the recent f2p format, it has picked up quite a few new followers. I started about a week ago again and there are a lot of people having a good time.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

It was not a terrible game.

For a game with wow-style combat and an EXTREMELY linear hallway of a storyline it does a good job at that.

There is nothing about the combat though that makes it objectively better or "the best."  Like much of the game it was a rehash of what we have seen many times over already.  If someone likes WOW combat and the classes in WOW then ya, SWTOR combat and its classes are great.

The notion though that the success of SWTOR and failure of GW2 is supposed to somehow be proof that SWTOR has better combat though is pretty much laughable.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Of the things I liked about SWToR, the combat was definitely not one of them. It was fast paced enough, but it was too similar to WoW. Some of the skills worked the same way. Playing my Jedi felt like playing my Priest in WoW.

I suppose if I had been looking for WoW, but with Star Wars, I would have been happy with it, but I was hoping for something with a little more of a Star Wars feel instead of a WoW feel.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I would say the combat was visually nice and had great sound design, but that's just the Star Wars fan in me.  The actual "combat" was mostly run of the mill trinity crap.  I would like to add though that besides WoW, SWTOR is the only other trinity game I enjoyed PVP'ing with a tank class and spec.

When looking back over all of the games I played though, I would say no combat  is more visceral, satisfying, intense, and skill based than Planetside 2.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Tera's combat would have been perfect for SW:TOR because unlike Neverwinter you still have a fair amount of skills to choose at the same time. Neverwinter just feels like Diablo. Tera feels like a MMORPG, only more action based though and with lots of unique boss events as well as mechanics (unlike NW or Dragon's prophet). And Star Wars means action. Nevertheless, I have to admit, that it's one of the best tab-targetting options here, for example compared to Rift which is quite bad.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

It was not a terrible game.

For a game with wow-style combat and an EXTREMELY linear hallway of a storyline it does a good job at that.

There is nothing about the combat though that makes it objectively better or "the best."  Like much of the game it was a rehash of what we have seen many times over already.  If someone likes WOW combat and the classes in WOW then ya, SWTOR combat and its classes are great.

The notion though that the success of SWTOR and failure of GW2 is supposed to somehow be proof that SWTOR has better combat though is pretty much laughable.

have you ever tried wow? swtor combat is much more clicky

in wow i can take Down a mob with 3-4 clicks,,that wont get you very far in swtor

combine that with a very high mob density, and swtor has the player hacking his way forward,

just like in a thick jungle

i dont know, how well GW2 is doing, but i doubt theyre failing as hard, as swtor

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    I agree, the combat was well done in the game.  Probably its strongest feature.  So much done wrong though.  Wish I could go back in time with that game as the lead developer.
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by rodingo

I would say the combat was visually nice and had great sound design, but that's just the Star Wars fan in me.  The actual "combat" was mostly run of the mill trinity crap.  I would like to add though that besides WoW, SWTOR is the only other trinity game I enjoyed PVP'ing with a tank class and spec.

When looking back over all of the games I played though, I would say no combat  is more visceral, satisfying, intense, and skill based than Planetside 2.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Oh okay so now anything that's not GW2 is "trinity crap". So GW2 has made most every other MMO ever made obsolete, wow how delusional can one be. Guild Wars 2, beautiful game world, but boring combat, not enough choices, and most are rehashed between classes and weapons.  I honestly think there might be more wrong with GW2 then there was with SWTOR.  I can honestly say I had more fun playing SWTOR in almost every aspect then playing GW2.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Originally posted by rodingo

Oh okay so now anything that's not GW2 is "trinity crap". So GW2 has made most every other MMO ever made obsolete, wow how delusional can one be. Guild Wars 2, beautiful game world, but boring combat, not enough choices, and most are rehashed between classes and weapons.  I honestly think there might be more wrong with GW2 then there was with SWTOR.  I can honestly say I had more fun playing SWTOR in almost every aspect then playing GW2.

Weird, I didn't mention GW2 anywhere in my post.  Maybe read again where I'm praising Planetside 2's combat?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I prefer action combat , PSO and PSU did it very well indeed. I hate tab targeting , hence why I use a 360 controller to play SWTOR. It helps a lot and almost turns the game into an action combat MMO ( almost ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• FruxyFruxy Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I prefer action combat , PSO and PSU did it very well indeed. I hate tab targeting , hence why I use a 360 controller to play SWTOR. It helps a lot and almost turns the game into an action combat MMO ( almost ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

How does that work?

I suppose you have a bunch of buttons to map to various hotkeys and such.  I'm curious how this turns SWTOR into an action combat game?  The only thing to change is the input device.  It's still "tab" targeting, although it's now "A-button" targeting, etc, instead of tab.

Not trolling you, I'm curious what you mean (I've never played a computer MMORPG with a console game controller).

You said you hate tab targeting, but how does a new input device change what you hate?

My background, I don't mind tab targeting at all, actually I prefer it, over twitch games.  GW2 was a hybrid, which worked OK for solo strategies I suppose .. but SWTOR is more interesting than GW2, and whatever GW2 had to offer couldn't save it from a bland story, and bland goals.

Can you expand on what you mean with the controller?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    There are so many rude people here. I felt the combat was extremely fluid, I never encountered any of these bugs that people think they see, and I thought the animations were fine..especially with regard to how much they improved since early beta. I left near end level because I just felt it was too linear and the world felt too static with the social hubs in the wrong place, but combat was def not the reason I left. I think there were too many useless abilities, but pretty much on par with most MMOs.

There Is Always Hope!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

and even thought PS2 was good but needed another year of development. When I think about it, it's been 8 years since I played an MMO and felt like it was home, one that I wanted to play every day, though tbh at all lol.... There has been this big focused on action and streamlining, it hasn't worked.

it hasn't worked?  

you just mentioned how you thought PS2 was good.  

it was action and streamlined.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well in fact it is sad but SWTOR is the best classic mmo after wow, not only combat but also story, quests .....People can laugh how much they want but game is great
  • SareiSarei Member Posts: 11
    It`s great for you that you have found a "good" combat. But people see the "good" combat with their own eyes. In my opinion this Video shows the best type of combat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vpTEeH5Luc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhhFbZACziETAgBKR9WKmOA Every move and hit is one command/spell. That is player skill pure!
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Sarei
    It`s great for you that you have found a "good" combat. But everybody here sees combat with their own eyes. In my opinion this Video shows the best type of combat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vpTEeH5Luc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhhFbZACziETAgBKR9WKmOA Every move and hit is one command/spell. That is player skill pure!

Cmon! Maybe for Korean market but not for western. This Kung Fu flying combat is relic from 80s, to much hentai cartoon

Originally posted by keithian
    There are so many rude people here. I felt the combat was extremely fluid, I never encountered any of these bugs that people think they see, and I thought the animations were fine..especially with regard to how much they improved since early beta. I left near end level because I just felt it was too linear and the world felt too static with the social hubs in the wrong place, but combat was def not the reason I left. I think there were too many useless abilities, but pretty much on par with most MMOs.

Agree here.  I never had a problem with the combat, I think it is fun.  I don't fully understand all the complaints.

There are many other issues with SWTOR that get glossed over, like the horrid game engine, or as you mentioned linearity.  Or the lack of basic functions like sitting in chairs when socializing.  Or missing "real" space combat, or KotOR card games (Sabbak, Pazzak).

The horrible game engine tops any complaint I have by a factor of 10, maybe 20.  No world PVP?  Everything is instanced, even common areas?  That's my #1.

Unhappy with tab targeting combat and raids with tab targeting? ... give me a break.  Play another game.

Combat is fine.  As to whether it's better than WoW .. sure .. but not the best available.  Other games do it better, but those games lack features in other areas, all the same.  My real complaint here is that there is no world PVP, factions are separated into their own instances so they cannot engage in PVP (Zero chance, separated), and the planets that do allow PVP offer crappy rewards to the victor - the xp for killing a trash mob, really??

Even on a PVP server, PVP is meaningless .. There would be a valid complaint, if the OP wanted to start a new thread about useless PVP servers.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Yeah SWTOR's lack of responsiveness and non-interruptible animations are awesome. And the TAB TARGETING is super exciting. Bravo! Bravo!

Or that I had to do some kind of ridiculous roll and duck for cover (even if there wasn't any) in order to use half my skills. Fantastic combat.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SareiSarei Member Posts: 11
    @bubaluba: Maybe you can tell me why this is not for the "west". I simply don`t understand this argument. You know i love to be a skilled player and usually i play a lot. When a system is easy to learn and hard to master, where is the problem? Why must everything be easy and dumb to get people in. I want a MMO with such a combat system+open pvp and i would never ever play anything other! I hope the guys from Pearl Abyss can use their experiences from C9 and make Black Desert great!

I wouldn't get bent out of shape.  I think people who hate tab-targeting never actually did any high end raiding, where success depended on true skill.

The younger generation prefers instant gratification via control pad, hence all the complaints.  Up, Down, Left, Right and a few buttons.

Meanwhile, in a MMORPG, as soon as they get in a raid situation where tab doesn't work and precision clicks are needed instead, along with on-the-fly ability usage, suddenly, "tab targeting sucks".  Because yeah, hitting tab means you fail your raid group. :P

Everyone in your raid dies, and you say, "Tab targeting sucks!" .. hehe

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I'll state that I much prefer action combat or even a hybrid combat like GW2 over standard mmo combat.

But as far as that standard tab target mmo combat goes, I thought SWTOR was pretty decent. I really liked some of the animations, especially the force users. The one big negative for me though was the ability delay.

This discussion has been closed.