Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR had the best combat of any MMO since WoW.

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm gonna say this now, I hate this strive for action based combat, mainly because no MMO has gotten it right. They always feel like this awkward mix between the tabbed based system and some poor TPS and have some focus on AOE and it always feels shoddy. No MMO has gotten it right and I don't think they will due to the conservative approach on the genre, they make too many compromises due to the stress on the network and what tech can do these days on modest systems. 

I loved SWTORs combat when the game came out, it was about the only thing that game got right. World PVP was so fun (when you managed to get it) and it reminded me of a mix between WoW and SWG. It was almost as fluid as WoW but the combat had the length of SWGs battles, I just loved 1 v 1s in SWTOR, fights could last like 10 mins. You could take hits and recover, it wasn't game over and you could just act really smart and pull it back. 

It used the traditional trinity system and got it right, tabbed based tank/dps/healer combat hasn't died, GW2 proved that it's the better system. I just find it a shame that SWTOR made the combat pace faster and ruined it since, I don't find the combat fun any more. However pre 1.2 and whatever else they've done to it since was amazing, I really hope EQN uses a similar system and not some stupid action based system that will suck like every other MMO that has attempted it. 

Lets be honest here there hasn't been a good complete MMO since WoW and I'm talking Vanilla, not the butchered fan service MMO it has become. I loved EQ, PS, SWG, EVE and even thought PS2 was good but needed another year of development. When I think about it, it's been 8 years since I played an MMO and felt like it was home, one that I wanted to play every day, though tbh at all lol.... There has been this big focused on action and streamlining, it hasn't worked. SWTOR came closest but that game failed from not having a game world and ppl playing MMOs want to feel like they're in a world. 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    No.  Spiral Knights has the best MMO combat since WoW.  Actually, Spiral Knights has the best MMO combat since ever.  Unless you're willing to count Infantry as an MMO.  But there are a lot of games since WoW that have had better combat than WoW, such as Guild Wars or Champions Online.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    lol
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I enjoyed it, but the skill cap was far too low. Once you got the hang of it, it never was going to change.

High level Wushu has the most skill based combat I've played.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Yeah SWTOR's lack of responsiveness and non-interruptible animations are awesome. And the TAB TARGETING is super exciting. Bravo! Bravo!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    Age of Conan owns combat in every single way.

gameplay > graphics

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    lol

+1

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Ill agree that the trinity is more compelling than non trinity (though would rather go back to EQ1 where the trinity was tank/heal/crowd control) and that so far action combat has been a complete bore in MMORPGs, SWToR combat was not very good.  Like Rift, it tried to emulate WoW.  And like Rift, its neither as smooth or as deep.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by aesperus
    lol

+1

indeed

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Um... hell no? If your going to make such a wild claim, and ignore games with combat very similiar to WoW, then Rift has a much more developed combat system then SWTOR... but again, thats going on the very narrow sighted view ignoring a good majority of games on the market for one particular system.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Haha! Funniest post I've read all day.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Personally like GW2 combat more than most other games even though I don't play it anymore. I'd have to say SWTOR had one of the worse combat systems...

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Is this the real life?
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I played a Trooper to max level (at the time). It was pretty simplistic combat. The rotation was simple. Just run through, watch for a certain ability to proc, fire it, repeat. I found it boring after a while. All this coming from someone who generally does not obsess over rotations or min/maxing. It was just so easy to figure it on my own. That's saying something for me as I just roll with a game casually until I find the need to step it up to keep pace with my goals.

For me, combat is far more fun in DC Universe and Age of Conan, to name a couple.

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    lol

+1

indeed

This is pretty funny.  I think the OP is serious too

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by IridescentOrk
    Age of Conan owns combat in every single way.

agreed

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    lol

+1

indeed

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

TOR tried to have fast, responsive combat that brings skill into the equation unlike half the MMOs out.  But their animations, lack of a fluid combat, unresponsive UI, bugs, and the engine unable to handle too many players really pushed them down a couple pegs.  I'm not saying Warhammer bad, but pretty rough.

The abilities in the game are basically from Wow, so if all those things I mentioned were fixed or better, it would be awesome combat.

I haven't played a game since WoW that had such fluid PvP and PvE combat (Not counting shooters, of course).  GW2 lack of abilities, progression, and on many classes, watching your 4 abilities cooldown, along with lolroll brought it close, but unable to top WoW.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Interesting. My faves are Neverwinter and DDO.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Age of Wushu/Wulin and Dragon Prophet combat currently does it for me. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I started playing the game again about a week ago. It has very smooth movement somewhat like WoW, and the PvP is very good imho.

For the game being such a flop, there sure are a lot of people playing. o.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Gonna agree, I had an absolute blast an launch with large scale wpvp.  Very big shame this game ended how it did.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by klagmire
    lol

+1

indeed

This is pretty funny.  I think the OP is serious too

It's just his opinion. No need to be so offended by it, or insulting. I found the Agent fun to play, but only played the game up to the 20's. Didn't like the single player type approach they took. AoC was my favorite combat in an mmo, but Champions and EQ were fun too.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by tixylix

I'm gonna say this now, I hate this strive for action based combat, mainly because no MMO has gotten it right. They always feel like this awkward mix between the tabbed based system and some poor TPS and have some focus on AOE and it always feels shoddy. No MMO has gotten it right

Darkfall and Planetside2  would like a word with you.

• thugzlivinthugzlivin Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by tixylix

I'm gonna say this now, I hate this strive for action based combat, mainly because no MMO has gotten it right. They always feel like this awkward mix between the tabbed based system and some poor TPS and have some focus on AOE and it always feels shoddy. No MMO has gotten it right

Darkfall and Planetside2  would like a word with you.

+1

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

In my opinion

AOC has better combat and amazingly fun finishers

GW2 has a better more fluid combat style

DFUW has a unique system and combat is the game practically, theres no story or themepark. It is just combat!

Planetside 2 is great for a fast paced fps (not my cup of tea though preferred PS1)

If you watch the videos on youtube ffxarr has smooth better combat imo.

I watched my son play star wars unleashed earlier today and said to him who also played swtor, flip I wish the combat in that was like swtor.

wow still beats swtor with their combat smoothness and style.

This discussion has been closed.