Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the fence

Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40

When I was first introduced to mmorpgs and asked to join WoW at the beginning of BC, I had the innocent view that it would naturally be open world PvP, I didn`t even know of the pvp/pve dichotomy and so I was disapointed when i found out my family and friends had been playing on a PvE realm because I found it destabilized the feeling of immersion.   Now they all either don`t play or can`t decide which game is worth playing, I on the other hand am looking for one to settle on (waiting to see how eso, ff arr pan out, and eqnext) but in the meantime I have taken a shot at a variety of titles out there but haven`t been hooked (mostly ones with trials or f2p)

So here I stand looking into Darkfall UW but I can`t quite pinpoint the general consensus on the game.  Its not a question of affordability but mostly investment of time.  Its got open world pvp (with loot), and from what I can see it has an interesting sandbox/crafting element to it.  Reviews are a bit all over the place and the feeling of members of this community are as well.  Some say its great and have great stories and others (like vets of the first edition of this game) have negative experiences.  I`m one that hates the pvp/pve dichotomy that`s been created in these games, because I always felt that naturally both would occur openly anyways in order to make the world feel more real.  So while I know this game will have everything I`d love to see on the pvp side of things, what about on the pve? Does it have dungeons/instances that you run with groups? raids? I know that there is pve for gathering mats for crafts, etc.

I know the game is fairly new but I wish the game had a trial to help push me over the fence on whether to buy it or not.  As a level headed person who does not put "emotion" into brand names, companies, etc, and is much of a fan of the pve/pvp dichotomy, I am hoping that likeminded people can give some insight which would help me finally make a decision.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I love Darkfall and I highly recommend that you buy it.  It is a breath of fresh air compared to the other MMO's out there.  Watch some different videos and make your decision as there is no trial.   If you buy, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  

And yes there are dungeons.  Lots more to be added with two recently released along with a handful of other starter dungeons. Marketplace will be added next week.

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Great post.  I too am on the fence and welcome the responses you've requested.

-Verenath-

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

As far as PvE goes there is plenty of that to go around.  Initially you start out in a safe zone.  The mob spawns there are to get you started on raising your "Prowess Points"  (Basically Experience Points).  As you complete feats to get prowess points the spawns needed begin to be outside the safe zones.  This is where it get's a bit interesting as I'm sure your aware. 

Below is a map of "Agon", if you click on the "Cover entire map" it will give you an idea of the amount of PvE there is in the game.  Spawns are everywhere.

Map of Agon

A large portion of the game revolves around PvE.  As a result, a portion of the PvP revolves around the PvE.

EDIT:  Here is another MAP if the one above becomes problematic due to bandwidth limitations

~Hairysun

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Its really hard to put into text.  Look up some youtube videos of group work.  Its not like wow where you have raids ect that's instanced and structured.

Most likely your large group stuff is going to see a mix of pvp and pve.

As far as you game motives...well its a sandbox.  No quests just optional stuff to progress.  Find your own reason for doing stuff.  If you want to farm mobs for drops, do that.  Want to knock out all the mob feats, go for it (though most consider that grind), want to build your bank stockpiles and craft, take that route and funnel most of your prowress into combat, or go full fledge crafter.

Crafting is nothing like in wow.  Its the ONLY source of gear.  Gear loses durability and breaks, you cant repair gear, and gear can be looted off your corpse.  You go though a lot of gear.

Focus of the game is clan poltics metagame.  If you don't get into a clan within 20min of playing you are doing it wrong. 

Don't take the approach that youll figure out how to play, or the best clan, then join it when your ready. Don't have this mindset.

Jump into the game, go through the boring tutorial, get into a clan, any clan, asap (noobies are not shunned in this game so just say you are new to DF).  Get in their voice coms and get to where they are in the world.  You need a clan, as most don't enjoy the solo life in DF.

Ill stress this one more time.  Get into any clan within 5-10min after the tutorial.  Noobs are NOT shunned and welcomed.  Don't try to figure out the "best" clan don't try to figure the game out alone.  It really makes a huge difference.  And don't be afraid to do what the clan is doing either..you should never be excluding yourself due to low prowress.

It really is one of the few games that is totally unique that is out there.

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Thanks for the input guys, I was mostly leaning towards getting it and that`s just what I`ve done.  Looking forward to it.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

Ripper X created 5 videos one per week.  That should give you some idea. 

Many play it for PvP, some play it for large battle, others play it as a trader (merchant).  Some clans are very structured and focused, other are casual.  There is even a pirate clan who have no rules or ethics. 

If money is not an issue I would say play it for 100 hours and you will have a very good picture what is going on.  My advise is take your time and join a clan that fits your style. 

Raw stream unedited  http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Darkfall%20Unholy%20Wars

Week 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fWL_BDZ-Q&list=TLF59SUEWxzRg

Week 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgkMCO9VRU&list=TLF59SUEWxzRg

Week 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58McvIsGPHk&list=TLF59SUEWxzRg

Week 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5ClphD3rs&list=TLF59SUEWxzRg

Week 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6EE6Rdq-no&list=TLF59SUEWxzRg

There are hundreds of videos on Youtube now about this version of DF. check them out.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Salahudin
    Thanks for the input guys, I was mostly leaning towards getting it and that`s just what I`ve done.  Looking forward to it.

Just don't be put off by the games lack of direction.  Find a clan.  If the clan you are in isn't fun get into a new one. clans can completely change how you play the game.

also having people to talk to makes your transition into the game a bit easier.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Strangerous
    Originally posted by Salahudin

Just don't be put off by the games lack of direction.  Find a clan.  If the clan you are in isn't fun get into a new one. clans can completely change how you play the game.

also having people to talk to makes your transition into the game a bit easier.

This is true, but wait at least a week.  Darkfall is different and the GUI takes some getting used to.  Familiarize yourself with it and start killing newbie mobs in the safe zones and complete a few feats.  After you do that, then I think it is the perfect time to join in a clan.

are you an EU player or NA?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Just an addition about dungeons, AV is slowly adding them into the game.

Apart from the capital city starter dungeons there are two currently in. One's a troll dungeon with a mad amount of 'cave trolls' that spawn and a boss, not too special.

The second is a dungeon full of cult members that do all kinds of freaky stuff to people. It is simply one of the most amazing dungeons i've ever seen. It has a labrynth with moving walls and randomly opening/closing gates, it has traps throughout the dungeon, it's huge aswell and the boss does crazy damage. The lack of light, combined with that creepy aura, a crazy ass moving maze can be scary as hell and you'll literally find yourself losing your friends who were 10 feet behind you.

This monday coming up we'll also be seeing the markets implemented which will act as a form of auction house. Should be easier for you to get gear then.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I am going to give you a brutally honest run down of what this game is, and what it is about, then OP see if it interests you.  

An un-controlled world, you make your character and you chose what kind of role you want to fill  ( mage warrior skirmisher etc ) and what kind of person you want to be.

For whatever role you choose you pick two specializations, a primary and a secondary. These will determine what skills you have access to.

The way you progress in this game is by farming monsters , harvesting, and crafting.  ( Though the prowess gain from gathering and crafting has a pretty terrible ratio)

Prowess is like your experience points, and you use them to upgrade your skills and stats.

There are safe zones, when you step out of the safe zone, you can be killed by anyone. Everyone that isn't you or your clan mates, are enemies.   

The main attraction of the game is clan warfare, the seiging of player owned structures such as villages and castles that they took time to build up as a clan.

Everything in this game can essentially be crafted, castles boats all of your armor and weapons is crafted.

The combat/UI Revolves around two button wheels that you can place your skills on. You select a skill on that wheel, and then left or right click to use it.  If you have a bow or something you must also aim the skills.  

That is Darkfall Unholy wars in a nutshell.  Farm creatures to progress character, farm materials to make cool stuff for character, kill people, take their stuff, seige other clans, take their castle. Repeat.  The clan warfare experience in my opinion is some of the most enjoyable pvp ever, however for me the experience was dragged down by a most awful progression system, and no real sandbox enviroment.  I will say however, this game has the mold to be a fantastic sandbox mmo, which is a shame.  

To conclude, If your into large clan deathmatches, and full loot pvp madness, this game is for you.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    People have been asking for "meaningful PvP" for years. Well, here it is.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Here are some more point of view regarding this game.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    People have been asking for "meaningful PvP" for years. Well, here it is.

This is true.

No "eSport"

It is also a game NOT for casual. You will need to dedicate plenty of time.

My tip: play lots in the morning. You will find less trolls and more helpful players then.