Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Microtransactions?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has responded to patch testers' reports that a "100% XP buff" would be available from the "Game Store". The post indicates that Blizzard is considering a microtransaction store but that no firm decision has been made.

We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Source: IGN, image source WoWHead.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The speculation thus far is that players think (or hope) that this only applies to Chinese servers. Though even if that's true it could also be to test how well their systems handle an in game store for a potential F2P conversion.  This will likely occur within the next seven years or three expansions to revitalize interest in what may then be considered a "classic".

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

The speculation thus far is that players think (or hope) that this only applies to Chinese servers. Though even if that's true it could also be to test how well their systems handle an in game store for a potential F2P conversion.  This will likely occur within the next seven years or three expansions to revitalize interest in what may then be considered a "classic".

I would say they are just trying to double dip?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Maybe it is intended to fill void of no hierlooms for 85-90.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    why is there a question mark, they already have microtransactions
    Originally posted by djazzy
    why is there a question mark, they already have microtransactions

I think people forget about mounts/pets/services.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Maybe if they had a -50% exp buff, I'd consider buying it.  
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Because it's super hard to level in WoW lol

Smile

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Maybe if they had a -50% exp buff, I'd consider buying it.  

You could always just turn off XP for a bit.

For me it looks like they might just be gearing up, testing the water so to speak on a future (not this year) switch to F2P, as long as it stays to EXP potions I see no problem, we've had the refer a friend system in the game for ages which is like super potion.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I don't mind if Blizz does cosmetic based transactions or temporary stat and xp buffs like this.  It makes sense.

I draw the line at Gear and other character adjustments that are permanent.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

In the current MMO environment its pretty inevitable bliz would test something like this sooner or later. The fact it's just one item suggests they are testing the water to see what the reaction is before adding more and I think it's pretty naive if people think they will stop at just a few items. A sub + pet/mount micro transactions is stretching things but a full blown in game cash shop + sub would take it to a whole new level.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Uh oh! Don't do it!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I don't mind if Blizz does cosmetic based transactions or temporary stat and xp buffs like this.  It makes sense.

that works for f2p. Subscribtion games should give everything to their paying customers for in game gold. Thats why i dont waste my money on their additional "services". They want to have a full microtrans store? remove the sub then. No? im ok with that, stop the microtrans crap. Its a paid game.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I'm just surprised it took them this long to expand their MT store.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    Originally posted by rojo6934

that works for f2p. Subscribtion games should give everything to their paying customers for in game gold. Thats why i dont waste my money on their additional "services". They want to have a full microtrans store? remove the sub then. No? im ok with that, stop the microtrans crap. Its a paid game.

Finally someone gets it. It is NOT OK to have microtransactions in a P2P game. I don't really care if they go F2P and have exp bonus or whatever but it was already a slap in the face to charge for pets/mounts. I understand charging for race/sex/world change because you made a choice in the past to determine those, you didn't make a choice a year ago to start paying $15 a month and then have a vendor who you can't buy anything from unless you pay real money.

Originally posted by Sinaku

Finally someone gets it. It is NOT OK to have microtransactions in a P2P game. I don't really care if they go F2P and have exp bonus or whatever but it was already a slap in the face to charge for pets/mounts. I understand charging for race/sex/world change because you made a choice in the past to determine those, you didn't make a choice a year ago to start paying $15 a month and then have a vendor who you can't buy anything from unless you pay real money.

WHY is it not ok?

You pay x amount a month for cable but if I want something extra, you pay extra why are games any different?

IE: if I want an on demand show, I pay, want HBO? I pay etc...

Same could be said with a lot of subscriptions, phones, xbox.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

you are 1005% wrong, wow will not be going f2p they are simply trying to add a cash shop to milk players .

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by wesjr
    Originally posted by Sinaku

WHY is it not ok?

You pay x amount a month for cable but if I want something extra, you pay extra why are games any different?

IE: if I want an on demand show, I pay, want HBO? I pay etc...

Same could be said with a lot of subscriptions, phones, xbox.

gonna wait to see if you notice the failure in your argument

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Just want to throw this out there, but if Blizzard wants some of the old-school crowd to come back, they should support some Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath servers.  They'd definately get some good influx, imo.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Blizzard introduces....World of Warcraft 2: The Search for your money.

Not surprised.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    greedy bastards!!! i won't play anymore if they add cash shop. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    greedy bastards!!! i won't play anymore if they add cash shop. 

Y r u still playing anyways?

• BurninatorXBurninatorX Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Nitth

Only "trying to"? They already have full price game/expansions + full price subscription + cash only mounts/pets/services

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

So today I was watching the business news, and they were talking about flying these days and how the airlines were constantly adding new fees, and taking away what were inclusions in ticket pricing in the past.

I was struck at how much it sounded just like F2P games with cash shops.

You see, it started with the cut rate carriers, the ones that have flights from hubs, to destination places like LA, NY city, Miami, Vegas, you know the places. What they stated doing was charging 100-200 bucks for flights. Sweet deal everyone says. Until they find out, no free soda, $25 to check a bag, $50 to pre screen through security, $4 for a blanket. Well the thing is these cut rate carriers started making lots of cash. Now there are fees for everything. In fact just today I heard Spirit Airlines will be charging for the overhead compartment, you still get under your seat, but any more you pay for.

Now sure I can fly to Vegas for under 200 bucks and have cash to gamble, but I get no ice for my headache let alone asprin on the return flight, or I have to fork over some MORE cash. "Convenience" they say, that is all it is, "Consumers didn't want to pay for an all inclusive flight, so we allow them to pay for the services they want or need.".

Sound familiar? It should. Just take out plane ride, and replace it with play a game. Take out charging for space, drinks, blankets, speedy check-in, and toss in bag space, mounts, skins, xp gain potions, yadda, yadda.

Why does this matter?

SImple. It isn't just the small cut rate carriers charging fees for every little thing and claiming it is great value now. It includes big legacy carriers, Delta, American, and United. Why are they doing it? Because they are making more money doing it. Same as EA, NC Soft, and all the rest of the publishers are making more money the same model.

Realize this model is here to stay. In MMOs, and the entire rest of you consuming life.

Just like the big carriers are taking on the fees, WoW I suspect will soon take on a broader cash shop, and possibly transition to F2P.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by BurninatorX
    Originally posted by Nitth

Only "trying to"? They already have full price game/expansions + full price subscription + cash only mounts/pets/services

But they have not tried to sell actual useful items. Consumable items unlike pets which are persistent.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    You mean rather Macrotransactions.

Micro-Transactions and Blizzard in the same sentence is a paradox.