Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Returning to RIFT

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that Rift has officially hit free to play, it's only natural that our very own Tourist will once again darken Telara's doorways. See what he thinks of the new iteration before telling us of your experiences in Rift in the comments.

RIFT was accessible. RIFT was progressive. RIFT was iterative. They listened to their players and reacted. When the tides turned towards three-faction PVP, RIFT added Conquest. When players wanted solo and small-group dungeons, Chronicles were introduced. When they asked for housing, they delivered the hands-down best and most customizable system this side of Minecraft. Most importantly, the RIFT team seems to have woven these dispositions into their very DNA. With the launch of free-to-play, they have once again delivered above and beyond what anyone dared expect.

Read more of Chris Coke's The Tourist: Returning to RIFT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Woo. Haven't had this much fun in a while.

only if half the races didn't run like they were injured.

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

Rift is the best Free to play out there and it will be so for a long time or well until Wildstar and elder scrolls lands that is 

Rift FTW

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I did return for a short period but got the 'been there, done that' feeling so I left again. There is currently no mmo out there that takes my fancy, floats my boat or is my cup of tea so I guess I will amuse myself elsewhere.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Rift is the "Best WoW ever" IMO.

But I am thinking I might go give it another shot as F2P....

• psysentionpsysention Member UncommonPosts: 19

i played rift before, did world first , eu first achievements raids wise..

even tho the game has really good class system, its tab targeting crap...

at the moment there are games out there with action combat.. they are far more fun and require skillz.. anybody can tab target somebody and spam 1 2 3.. 

rift or any other tab targeting mmo is no more appealing to me..

next gen mmos must be action combat like neverwinter/tera or hybrid action like gw2

• ErnzelErnzel Member Posts: 15
    Currently playing it. It's good.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Love the game, I just get so bored with the combat mechanics and animations... I know it's not a big flaw, but it reduces the 'fun' factor for me. On the other hand, there's lots of great content. 
  • vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    So what is PvP like now ? Is it all instanced mini games or has it an open battleground ?
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by psysention

i played rift before, did world first , eu first achievements raids wise..

even tho the game has really good class system, its tab targeting crap...

at the moment there are games out there with action combat.. they are far more fun and require skillz.. anybody can tab target somebody and spam 1 2 3.. 

rift or any other tab targeting mmo is no more appealing to me..

next gen mmos must be action combat like neverwinter/tera or hybrid action like gw2

I agree, I tried it again but I just cannot play tab-targeting anymore.  

I get lazy with it, and just stand stll while strumming my fingers over the numpad, and every time a mob runs behind me and I have to use my other hand to manually turn around it just infuriates me.

The combat feels so out-dated.  

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Loving the game so far, got my defiant mage to 47 and my warrior to 20. Thinking about playing my old 50s or create new ones. I've subbed to the game and well worth the money and time now they've improved the game.
  • MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I never played post release - just last stage beta before it went FTP. I saw this article and decided to give it a try as I have been bored and not playing any MMO at this time. The game plays nicely and I am having some fun. The F2P has been designed in such a way as to be fairly seemless. I did not feel at any time at any great disadvantage from the F2P aspect or feel stymied or constrained to any significant degree. I did decide to go ahead and do a one month sub due to the fact I am having fun - I have plenty of money personally and I like to support things I enjoy to one degree or another.

I do not know how long this game will keep my attention - but for now its fun and if your bored and have not yet played the game its worth looking into.

• VondrexVondrex Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I know I will get flamed , but omg the 50-60 grind its just makes me log out. I love Rift super fun game, I enjoy leveling in all the games I play, but the grindy of 50-60 I just dont have the heart for it. I am at 59 right know and the thought of leveling my other 4 level 50's makes me want to cry.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Great game, came back to it last month in anticipation for f2p on a pvp server. Been having an amazing time for my 3rd time (since launch). Free to play has brought an increase in the population of an already great game.

Besides the population increase and already established great game, Rift's f2p model is one of if not the best I've seen to date.

Also to those complaining about the 50-60 grind l sigh, mmo's are way too easy now-a-days. If people are spoiled enough by WoW clones that they want their levels handed to them casually, what's the point of the progression of leveling to begin with? Might as well start at level cap.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

"They listened to their players and reacted. When the tides turned towards three-faction PVP, RIFT added Conquest. When players wanted solo and small-group dungeons, Chronicles were introduced. When they asked for housing, they delivered the hands-down best and most customizable system this side of Minecraft."

Come back to reality a little here, this is ridiculous.

The three faction PvP was *not* a major request of the community.  The community (in general) wanted meaningful open world PvP.  Conquest, as its an instanced battleground, does not provide that.  What the three faction PvP likely was is rushing to add it in before GW2 launch.  Don't try and act like this was Rift listening to their players.

And the housing, while fantastic, is still not as good as EQ2.  Its a near direct copy of EQ2 actually, just EQ2's is a bit deeper because its been out longer.  At least give the proper credit here to EQ2.  Rift's housing is the closest thing to EQ2, not Minecraft.

It does have the best f2p model from a f2p players perspective though (the sub option is pretty terrible though...it only exists to take advantage of people who prefer to sub instead of rewarding them for their dedication)

The 800 lb Gorilla in the room with Rift is it has a soulless game world and is the possibly the least immersive AAA option out there.   If you care about this stuff, there are far better options than Rift.  If you don't and only care about the carrots, then Rift is one of the best games on the market.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Vondrex
    I know I will get flamed , but omg the 50-60 grind its just makes me log out. I love Rift super fun game, I enjoy leveling in all the games I play, but the grindy of 50-60 I just dont have the heart for it. I am at 59 right know and the thought of leveling my other 4 level 50's makes me want to cry.

This has been a fairly common complaint.  

It is too grindy for me as well, the time it takes to achieve just one level (above 50) is excessive.  I don't necessarily like the trend towards fast and easy leveling, but dragging out the process without any good reason or interesting features along the way (it is mainly kill ten rats) just strikes me as pointless and perhaps a little opportunistic when there are xp potions etc on sale.   

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Tera is a really super system of f2p but rifts is just as good.

Play whichever one has your prefered style of combat and u can't really go wrong. Both are great. Good times for both games.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I don't find Rift to be all that just because it changed business models. iI is still loaded with a brick ton of fedex quests which get old real fast. I will say though that if you play it casually you'll probably enjoy it but if you are one of those hardcore guys then this isn't for you.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I actually tried Rift a couple months before it went f2p, and it was decent.  It's just way too similar to WoW though.  I didn't like the art style, character creation, combat, races, or the story.  It just felt so bland, so i quit.  Then i tried it again when f2p launched (my sub was still active too), and i found it to be a great f2p system with very minimal restrictions.  My only gripe is the p2w gear that's in the cash shop (save your typing, because it's p2w in my eyes and i'm not changing my view).  Other than that though, it's a decent game if you need an alternative to WoW.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    It's interesting to see how many WAR devs originally went to make this game and the pvp remains awful.  Other than that, I do agree they pump out a lot of content.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I couldn't agree more with this article.  I have played Rift since shortly after it came out and always found fun things to do.  The FT2 conversion has added a ton of new stuff that is even more awesome.  Trion just cranks out the content and really listens to their players.  Granted, you can't make every single person happy, but the things we have been asking for, they really try to deliver.  Rift just has every feature the other MMOs have and more.  You just can't go wrong playing it, especially since it is now free.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    And that only proves my point:

WAR should've been a PvE game. As it was designed. As the Asuryan willed it...

(Not to mention that we need a good story focused Warhammer game-or PvE Warhammer game, both would suffice)

WAR and PVE shouldn't be in the same sentence.  PvE game generally also equals themepark and we certainly don't need another one of those either.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I made it to level 5 and deleted the game. I was looking for world class faction conflict...and its not there.the CONQUEST feature is just awful.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    This game just had to much of a "been there, done that" feel to it.  It seems like once you have played one quest hub, trinity, raid gear treadmill game, you have played them all.  Unfortunately I have played more than one, so I just couldn't stomach another.  Don't get me wrong, the quality and polish is there, just not the fun factor due to it being the same ole same ole.  No biggie though, it's not like I spent a dime on the game so no harm no foul.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The transition to F2P is well done. But once i went back and played some, i again saw why it went F2P in first place.

No thanks.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :/ I do not like wow gameplay its boring for me, and the controls are clunky and outdated.