Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would an evil MMO be successful? (Poll)

2»

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    I'd be intrigued by a MIchael Moorcock universe (Elric) where characters could pick from Law, Balance or Chaos factions.  It could certainly present some interesting moral dilemmas -- such a universe could be fascinating, but perhaps difficult to pull of well.  I could see Dune being done in a similar fashion.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Im too drunk to read all the posts, but how about "World of Darkness" surely playing vampires is pretty much as evil as it comes

Obvoiously we know little of the game play but im sure we wont be saving fairies and little sheep

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by tank017

Simple thought..

As we all know,every MMO and pretty much all games for that matter is good vs evil.Where the player is charged to save the world/clan/woman etc..

What if there was an MMO made where the player could only play the evil side? Whether it be a Tyrant nation  conquering lands of peaceful people? or a Demonic force looking to eradicate everyone and everything in its path? Or an alien force looking to take over galaxies,world by world?

I personally would be interested as it would be an interesting enough of a change.

I wouldn't know why not actually...

Think about it, there all kinds of "evil" most strive for power which results in evil vs evil.

So yeah I definitly think it is possible but it might be somewhat harder for developers to purely think "evil" as good vs evil is almost inprinted into our dna. So it takes a different kind of thinking to come up with evil vs evil in many way's that can be possible within the MMORPG realms

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I tihnk it could be very successful because we all know that in a MMO with a good side and an evil side,the majority of people seem to choose the Evil side because they look cooler.Which is why I usually choose he good side heh.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Like my good dark elf in EQ2 which never got taken seriously since their attitude is "cut the feet off and the head soon follows"

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

City of Villains.

Successful until, NCSoft DESTROYER OF GAMES, shut it down.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by spitfire1064
    An evil petting zoo!

Made me laugh.

I will see your "Evil Petting Zoo", and raise you to NOFX's "Heavy Petting Zoo".

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Most players aren't good enough actors to pull it off, nor self-controlled enough to know when to stop.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Warking24x7Warking24x7 Member Posts: 9

The funny thing about this poll is Evil is often a perspective.

For example... The chicken would consider us evil for rounding them up stealing their babies (eggs and chicks), and eventually killing them and eating them.

Are we not evil to the chicken?

Obviously I could give a LONG list of GREAT people in our own history that were consider Evil by other standards...

Now in video games many games play both sides of the fence in PvP.  Allies verse Horde or Guardians verse Defiance

I do not think this idea is anything new... and it has been around even back at the beginning of MMOs... Everquests ogres, dark elves, and trolls...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    I tihnk it could be very successful because we all know that in a MMO with a good side and an evil side,the majority of people seem to choose the Evil side because they look cooler.

^

Kind of sick of red and black, aren't you all by now?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Most players aren't good enough actors to pull it off, nor self-controlled enough to know when to stop.

Don't let this cute, fuzzy exterior fool you, I can be evil!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Four0Six

City of Villains.

Successful until, NCSoft DESTROYER OF GAMES, shut it down.

I had issues with City of Villains content personally at the beginning....it wasn't well written and never made you feel evil super villain...you were a mercenary at best or a petty thug at worst and a lot of the time you felt like you were doing the same things you did in City of Heroes.

However when they did a complete revamp of the rogue Islands years later and I returned to see what had changed...well it was like night and day.The new story lines and missions did definitely make you feel super villain like.Another reason I felt like the weak links left the game when Jack Emmert left and reformed Cryptic Studios elsewhere.

Paragon Studios was a great team.

• DawnDarkDawnDark Member Posts: 21

In a good story there is not really good or evil. The best villains think what they are doing is for some kind of good.

Maybe the axis of morality between the hero and villain are a bit twisted, but they are basically the same personally being in a different situation.

The best stories could be told from the villain's point of view and the audience would be cheering for the villain and completely understand why he does what he does. A story where this is done to great effect is Man Of War, in most stories we would be on the side of the law enforcement.

Therefor you cannot really make a successful MMO starting from only the villain point of view, because you need the counterbalance of a hero for it to work.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Warking24x7

The funny thing about this poll is Evil is often a perspective.

For example... The chicken would consider us evil for rounding them up stealing their babies (eggs and chicks), and eventually killing them and eating them.

Are we not evil to the chicken?

Obviously I could give a LONG list of GREAT people in our own history that were consider Evil by other standards...

Now in video games many games play both sides of the fence in PvP.  Allies verse Horde or Guardians verse Defiance

I do not think this idea is anything new... and it has been around even back at the beginning of MMOs... Everquests ogres, dark elves, and trolls...

Well Im talking 'evil' when it comes to our standards.

Things that are just morally wrong,things that we wouldnt stand for..

Games like WoW and Rift,they put a pretty good emphasis on each side not being pure evil or evil at all really.

As for EQ,yeah there was evil races,but it got lost or moot when you would just go out an fight along side your 'enemy' in groups you joined, "enemies" who would really just be more inclined to save your life and become your friend.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Good VS Evil is boring and it has been done to death. Some MMO should really try to take on the old D&D alignment system. There were 3 different alignments that each at three different perspectives to choose from. You had Good, Neutral, and Evil each with three variations such as Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral.

This gave 9 different options for people to pick from:

Lawful Good - Paladin type alignment for people who want to be Super Man

Neutral Good - Good Samaritan types example Bilbo and Frodo from Lord of the Rings

Chaotic Good - Example would be like a Robin Hood who broke the law for the greater good

Lawful Neutral - Example could be James Bond or Police/ Military types who are just following the rules

True Neutral - Heroes who act without regards to good/evil or with out laws and order. Conan the Barbarian

Chaotic Neutral - Basically anarchists and free spirits

Lawful Evil - The Tyrants and dominator faction. Example being the Sith from Star Wars or Darth Vader

Neutral Evil - The Selfish villian faction such as Zod from super man

Chaotic Evil - The Discord and Destruction faction. Example being the Joker or Bain from the Batman movies