Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena Net manipulates Facebook's liking system for in game rewards

Comments

• STAUDERWALKIESTAUDERWALKIE Member Posts: 18
    I'm pretty sure THE SECRET WORLD did this exact same thing in their beta, "if you like us on FB we'll give you free items" or something to that extent..and I don't remember anyone caring then either.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Originally posted by lathaan
    what would be bad about it? whats there to discuss?

When did viral marketing become okay?

What's viral about this? This amounts to no more than rewarding fans. What are you smoking?

Originally posted by Bjelar
    GW2 is L2W ("like" to win)

No...it's P2W

"Play to Win"

Why are some ppl still hating on this obviously popular and fun game? It's not your thing? Move the hell on and troll another game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I didn't say other companies don't do it. I am just talking about the double standards. You have no idea the hate companies get around here for anything related to facebook.

Any recent examples? 

Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I didn't say other companies don't do it. I am just talking about the double standards. You have no idea the hate companies get around here for anything related to facebook.

Any recent examples? 

Do you need them fed to you? One was already cited...TSW

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

are you kidding me ? 

Companies today are using every social network they can to advertise their products... It's a free advertisment!

Using your fans who have no problem with helping you advertise the game in exchange for some cool stuff in game isn't something bad. I'm not doing it, but whoever does it and has no problems with it, why shouldn't it be okay?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

No...it's P2W

"Play to Win"

Why are some ppl still hating on this obviously popular and fun game? It's not your thing? Move the hell on and troll another game.

How can my little pun be interpreted as hatered?

Oh, I remember now. All posts must start with the phrase "I LOVE GW2, but....."

So here we go...

I LOVE GW2, but it is L2W.

Originally posted by STYNKFYST

No...it's P2W

"Play to Win"

How can my little pun be interpreted as hatered?

Oh, I remember now. All posts must start with the phrase "I LOVE GW2, but....."

So here we go...

I LOVE GW2, but it is L2W.

I dunno...maybe cause where you posted it and had no other way to take than the usual troll garbage.

Pun? Srsly?

You still think it's "L2W". Lame at it's best. Troll at it's worst. The many...MANY people playing it now are not L2W. We are...just playing the damned game cause it's fun. It has it's bad side like all others. Just don't get all the L2W/P2W  crap...not funny, just more trolling crap from the minorities.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

TSW had a whole facebook game and such, and it was such a fail system, and funked up, and eventually it worked, but if you used your real facebook account you ruined it by friending TSW players..etc..etc. That was just a hell of a mess.

Alternatively it can be used like a Raptr or Steam number of player chart which is always fun. Games like Age of Wushu try the like us on facebook thing and can only garner 8500 likes... I find it's one of many metrics to judge a game.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    haha, shit your pants when Anet  does it but not funcom, turbine, SOE, TRION, etc...
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/community-news/are-you-one-in-a-million/

Surprised this isn't already grounds for a discussion point. What are people's views on game companies offering in game rewards for helping advertise their products out of the game?

Not been to business school I presume?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    My headache just got worse.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Heh... nicely played. 

Edit: Just noticed people taking this as a negative... I took it as a positive, but that could be the shiny happy fanboy in me smiling at the clever word play.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Surprised this isn't already grounds for a discussion point. What are people's views on game companies offering in game rewards for helping advertise their products out of the game?

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE SKY IS BLUE?

Seriously, is this your first time on the internet? Companies have been doing this since the dawn of facebook. FFS my local news channel panders the whole "Like, Comment, Subscribe" bile after every airing.

Clearly the OP is grasping at straws.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It is a non-issue.

Thanks for creating a mountain out of an Anthill.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by botrytis

It is a non-issue.

Thanks for creating a mountain out of an Anthill.

This is more like looking at the anthill through a magnifying glass and imagining it's a mountain. You know, with little ant mountain climbers driving little ant pitons into the little anthill and throwing little ant ropes to each other and yodeling and I think I got carried away, beware of avalanches. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    It is simple, if it is a game you like, then it is ok.  If it is a game you don't like then its not ok.  Them be the mmorpg forum pvp rules.  We had a meeting and agreed on the rules, weren't you there?
  • Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I am just amazed. It is a facebook campaign. If you hate GW2 that much that you need to attack something this STUPID, they must be doing something right. I mean, just about every company does some little face book thing sooner or later, and this is the first time I have seen someone attack. Seriously, post a link if I am wrong.

I think this says something about the game when people need to grasp at straws. Such strong emotions.. just WOW.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Uh, the MMORPG genre has always fed off of word of mouth advertising. What is so different about this?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

. . . . . OP I got to ask did you just now start using face book, im not trying to be insulting here but this has happened with almost everygame out there, heck its going on with pretty much anything you can name, companies have been handing out rewards for like them on facebook sence the damn thing got popular,

just off the top of my head my ra soloar eclipse skin for smite,

and my face palm emote for CoH, both I got from facebook, and there are dozens of other things I have gotten from facebook as well, heck there are tons of things I have seen and just ignored.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Damn I weep for the MMO community of today. So brainwashed.

"People don't agree that my non-issue is an issue, they must be brainwashed."-AzurePower

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I will say again, I have no idea how this is an actual thread.  Or a better question would be, why isn't it locked yet.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Hi there folks, I heard there was much angst in here. That true?
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Hi there folks, I heard there was much angst in here. That true?

nah ust harassing of a person who got on the internet for the first time ever, kinda like a welcomeing party but with les beer and sex.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

My local news channel is giving away a free vacation.

Real Life rewards > in game rewards

Just have to poke the sleeping bear though: I originally thought that the magic find increase might be construed as out of line, but isn't GW2 just another cash shop game? Not surprised to see any of that.