Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Black Desert: Daeil Kim On What Sets Their Game Apart

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Skyrim mod ? 

just kidding :) !!!

looks great !!! keeping my eyes on this raw diamond, lets hope they can make it bling ^^

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Looks good....interesting on the entire mount breeding thing....think Daeil Kim is a bit of a voyeur btw. lol

All that seemed great and then he went on a weird tangent there.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    What a shame. I was really looking forward to this title. Everything looks to be great. The thing that puts me off is the combat system. i dont want to be fumbling about needed to hit keys with mouse clicks. i never use WASD to move. Always use the directional keys for that. I have a feeling that the combat in Black Desert will be cumbersome and awkward. 

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    So how many years are we talking about with this game, 2015? 2016? We all know it isnt coming any time soon. its far to early to talk about this yet.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Salenger

Nice read, ty.

I did not like the part regarding housing though, sounds like it will be another game that offers a housing market that can be cornered by a small group of hardcore gamers and possible exploiters/hackers, any dev team can say this will not happen but it has occurred in many games prior without change.

Cant say i like that system of some housing as opposed to open world housing, i mean in a sandbox game you aim for these things, you should not be limited and forced to play into boredom for the insane amount of pixel value it will cost to buy your spot off of one of the above type players multiple houses.

Other than that i like the sound of the game, have been following it for awhile and will still try it out as it sounds like my kind of game....with or without a poorly arranged housing system.

You can set up a small shack/tent wherever though so even in a dominated market everyone will have some form of housing. I mentioned before I am just imagining all the Shanty Towns that are going to pop up out side the walls of major trading cities so when I imagine that, it makes not having a house less of an issue.

• xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    More Korean sloppy seconds with Bon Bon hair and ridiculously huge swords ... no thanks

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Not to be a downer but graphics like that normally mean trade offs such as heavy instancing and small zones. Hope I am wrong!!
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Looks really nice and a sandbox as well.

Realistically this game won't come out to the west until 2016 at the earliest though.

Vindictus combat in an open sandbox world, yes please.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    What a shame. I was really looking forward to this title. Everything looks to be great. The thing that puts me off is the combat system. i dont want to be fumbling about needed to hit keys with mouse clicks. i never use WASD to move. Always use the directional keys for that. I have a feeling that the combat in Black Desert will be cumbersome and awkward. 

?

What fumbling?

This is exactly how it is in oblvion and skyrim.

You want a forward thrust you "move forward" and hit the mouse attack key. You want to have a left swipe you move left and hit the attack key.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Well I guess there are 3 outcomes for this game that I can think of by looking at the trailer(s).

1: They will not be able to handle the sheer pressure the userbase generates on their servers and thus the game falls flat on its face because of lag and related problems.

2: World will end up being instanced to relieve server stress -> no open world.

3: They need to take out features to relieve the stress on servers based on larger beta stresstesting, thus not matching the original concept.

There is just no way this game will come out as is shown in the current concepts, we dont have the required technology to host such an MMO with so many features on so massive scale and if attempted it will either lag uncontrollably or be super heavily instanced.

• Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

It looks and sounds good, I am definetly looking forward to watch this game develop. If they can pull it off this game might become very popular. Atleast it looks like a living, breathing world in the trailer, which is something severely lacking in current MMO's. Although trailers can be very deceiving this game has got my attention.

All the best to Pearl Abyss in creating what seems like a very solid title.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Wow that one charcter looks like Allison from the pretty little liars !!! Caint wait for the game to come out.

• alias333alias333 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    all characters in this game also use PhysX, look how detailed and realistic are they,If you are new to this game and did not followed years,i suggest to go and read forums about BD.
  • KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Looks awesome !

At some point I was like "oh it's Legolas !" and then "Gandalf !"

The characters are really super detailed and realistic, I like that. Hopefully they wont ruin it by making it cookie cutter themepark with overdone gameplay like fetch quests and all that boring stuff.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Looks cool, but it probably will be 2 yrs before it hits NA.
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

If nothing else, it looks much better than darkfall. The combat looks fun. It looks like they have decent physics in place. Darkfall plays like a 20 year old fps.

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127

It sounds like its just territory wars, not really housing per say.

Im glad there's a function for Guilds to control housing, but this sucks for someone like me that really is just tired of guild drama and the back-stabbing that takes place in most Guilds. I wont be choosing a house for this game and hearing how housing will work almost turns me off completely from the game no matter how beautiful it looks.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Not to be a downer but graphics like that normally mean trade offs such as heavy instancing and small zones. Hope I am wrong!!

Since when? Every Korean MMO that was ahead of the western counterparts graphically didn't have small zones and instancing...look at Aion and then TERA for example, Black Desert is also supposed to be open world.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by hfztt

Why, oh why, go for photoreal landscapes and combine that with silly over the top character animation? It just looks silly.

it's toned down a lot compared to what people are used to.

Originally posted by Tekaelon

You are wrong.  They have said it's a seamless gameworld with many non-instanced dungeons.

Also to people assuming that a huge zerg guild will own the entire server, Pearl Abyss have mentioned that they are putting barriers in place to make it exponentially hard for a clan to own more than one castle.

Also, they have mentioned there will be player-housing available for half the population.  These houses are different from the castles which guilds can fight over.  They are located in the cities, and will be up for auction.  You can possess them for 6 months.  I think this is a better alternative to instanced housing which nobody will ever see.  It gives you a place in the game world.

Ideally they should increase the number of houses with expansions and such, so I imagine eventually there will be enough to go around.  But if you think about, 50% of the population is quite a large number to have houses, and may suffice anyway.  Not everyone will really care that much about securing a house.  To some people, that's an irrelevant part of gameplay anyway.

• Sorien88Sorien88 Member Posts: 15
    sigh why does every good sounding game have to be coming from korea these days.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    the graphics look like vindictus

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I spy a Thief pickpocketing an npc or player.  cool.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Sorien88
    sigh why does every good sounding game have to be coming from korea these days.

possibly it could have something to do with where the talent is.  In western countries, the most talented devs may be involved in single player games, whereas in Korea, they are all in the MMO industry.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Yes please.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• hardmode25hardmode25 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Gdemami

The environment and medieval setup looks fantastic, too bad they are ruining it with asian style characters and combat :(

Edit: Oh, it's Korean developer...

this game have the best graphics... why should not have the best combat gameplay too :D?