Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CGI trailers: What do you think of them?

MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

I was curious to see peoples opinions on CGI trailers. Honestly I think they are awesome, for a short film. But over the years it seems as if gaming companies use awesome CGI trailers to give a false sense of what the game is and will be. I don't know how many times I saw a CGI trailer and thought, "Man I can't wait till this game comes out!". 9/10 times I am disappointed with the game I end up buying. Since FF14, I have stopped believing in the trailers all together. I will watch them, but never do I let myself raise hope that the game will actually be like the trailer.

What are your thoughts on them?

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Also feel there are awesome. I actually would love seeing a full lenght feature film from some of them.

As for becoming excited about the game itself due to it's CGI trailer never really happens to me. I only view them for what they give me wich is mostly a background story of the game world I am about to enter.

I already know for a fact that a CGI trailers isn't excactly what I can encounter ingame. Mainly because I love CGI trailers and have done so for a long long time so I already know better.

I can't wait to see games eventually reaching the state of the visuals/animations of CGI trailers. Singleplayers games are getting closer and as alway's I firmly believe MMORPG leap about 3/5 years behind with what we see and can do in singleplayer games. But we will get there and hopefully in my lifetime ;)

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I feel they are completely pointless and developers should stop wasting resources making them unless they reveal something about the storyline. 

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Waste of time imo.

I watch a video trailer to see what the gameplay is like, not what an animator wishes it looked like :/

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I love to watch them, but I never get a 'wrong' impression from them because they are just moviesto me, not the game. To decide whether I want to try a game I want to read reviews and watch gameplay footage.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Some released real ingame footage instead of fancy CGI video's.

Bethesda sold me with the short/long skyrim gameplay video which desided for me to buy this game not the promo video's.

The Witcher 3 for example with the real ingame footage is what make me very interested in this game.

CGI is nice but not that i will make a decision on buying the game based on fancy CGI video..

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I think they are a great way to promote a game or IP and I appreciate them for what they are as an art form but I dont judge the actual game from them so I dont complain and be surprised like some people do when they see the actual games graphics and gameplay doesnt look like a CGI.
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    I enjoy them a ton. They can be very memorable. My only issue is it makes me want the devs to make a feature length CGI film to the quality levels of the trailer..
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Complete waste of time and money that could've been spent on, you know, actually developing the game. Then again, I generally research my games before buying them so whether these cinematic trailers are there or not doesn't phase me one bit in the end. If it gets someone to impulsively buy the game then it's a good job for the marketing department, I guess.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Complete waste of time and money that could've been spent on, you know, actually developing the game. Then again, I generally research my games before buying them so whether these cinematic trailers are there or not doesn't phase me one bit in the end. If it gets someone to impulsively buy the game then it's a good job for the marketing department, I guess.

Chances are people who design these trailers are no way related to the actual developers and the company loses absolutely zero production time.  Chances are these people are the marketing team who don't touch a dev coding tool program.

I like CGI trailers and does get me hyped for a game, granted I don't let it be a deciding factor... just some eye candy.  But I do really love how Carbine does their CGI trailers though.  The humor is just great and is really a nice touch over the typical overall uninspired trailers that are just flashy and that's it.