Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you prefer Steam Punk etc. or High Fantasy?

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by jesad

Woot! Found it!!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/27.177.1,2

This is from the 1600's.  Pistol troops.  Later iterations to come.  Look at the work on that stuff though.  That's some beautiful work.

This is from the 1800s which is when the game The Order "1886" takes its theme from

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    If we HAD a Steampunk MMORPG game I'd be playing it - but there ISN'T a Steampunk game out there.  I get sick of all the endless Fantasy MMORPGs that get churned out.
  • GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Steampunk is still pretty near to fantasy. Cyberpunk would have been a better choice, or just scifi.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by jesad

Woot! Found it!!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/27.177.1,2

This is from the 1600's.  Pistol troops.  Later iterations to come.  Look at the work on that stuff though.  That's some beautiful work.

This is from the 1800s which is when the game The Order "1886" takes its theme from

I get that.  But again, I have to ask, if we are living in a steampunk world where guns like the one in the trailer for that game exist, why are we not living in a world where the armor available at the time has not been advanced as well?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/D54226/a_steel_plate_chest_armour_india_16th_18th_century_d5422661h.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms-armor/a-steel-plate-chest-armour-india-16th18th-5422661-details.aspx&h=340&w=253&sz=10&tbnid=-u5qAuyB5rWb2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=67&prev=/search%3Fq%3D18th%2Bcentury%2BIslamic%2Barmor%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=18th+century+Islamic+armor&usg=__JVxyVAXElha8LT_ifeWqfcmoydE=&docid=AcVW5CzIjdT3PM&sa=X&ei=_JTWUZe5AcXG0AHC5oHYCg&ved=0CDgQ9QEwBA&dur=7290#imgdii=-u5qAuyB5rWb2M%3A%3BQ9csu5_qlztmvM%3B-u5qAuyB5rWb2M%3A

My god, I gotta get better at that.

Regarding the earlier comment about the Revolutionary War.

"Full suits of armour were actually worn by generals and princely commanders right up to the second decade of the 18th century. It was the only way they could be mounted and survey the overall battlefield with safety from distant musket fire."

"Though the age of the knight was over, armour continued to be used in many capacities. Soldiers in the American Civil War bought iron and steel vests from peddlers (both sides had considered but rejected body armour for standard issue). The effectiveness of the vests varied widely—some successfully deflected bullets and saved lives, but others were poorly made and resulted in tragedy for the soldiers. In any case the vests were abandoned by many soldiers due to their weight on long marches as well as the stigma they got for being cowards from their fellow troops.[12]:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour

Answers both of our questions.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Gaoxin
    Steampunk is still pretty near to fantasy. Cyberpunk would have been a better choice, or just scifi.

Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction, so what do you mean by "just scifi"?

It is like knowing Steampunk is an apple and then you say "just fruit". XD

Since we completely derailed though, and it's about time for me to get off.  How stupid are people though, based on my last post, to allow themselves to be talked into not wearing something that could possibly prolong their existence, and at the very least allow them to live long enough to get off at least one more shot, just because someone was gonna call them a dirty name? LOL

Screw that, call me a coward, it will probably be the last thing you call me while you are getting killed and I am doing the killing.

Just speculation but I bet it wasn't about being a coward at all.  I'll bet it was about resources and moral.  They probably couldn't afford to plate them all so they didn't plate any of them, and since they couldn't plate any of them they probably disallowed plate all together so that they didn't have a bunch of pay to win crying going on hehehe.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Maybe Jesus was an Eldar? Hmmm...

Anyhow, my vote goes to the HF. I love Elves(tho not all adaptations of them), Knights and Magic. In other words I love Warhammer Fantasy and LoTR both. As for steampunk, I see the appeal, but it's not for me imo.

Crazy Elf lover sheeesh....

Jesus Built My Hot Rod.*  Must've been Steampunk.

I wouldn't mind having a bit of both 'punk and fantasy tossed in the mix.  Of course, I've been playing an absurd amount of Skyrim lately - Dwemer ruins with dragons and such.

*it's a song

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Call me crazy, but I prefer low fantasy. ;,,;

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

If it had to be one or the other then i guess high fantasy.. but im more of a real worl, sci-fi or low fantasy person..

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by karbonista
    I'm sick to death of high-fantasy, but I **loathe** steampunk.  I want nothing to do with it.

Really, when was the last true high fantasy Dark Ages MMO?

Prbably Lord of The rings... the rest of them all have modern things like guns or renaiusence themed zones in them... 

No... i really need something thats dark and creepy fantasy

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The only problem with Steampunk is that it doesn't have a Baws version. By that I mean High Fantasy has a template, and everyone knows exactly what it is. Steampunk is more of an artistic style than a well established setting. I hate to say it, but Steampunk needs a "Hobbit" or "Lord of the Rings".

But I'm OK with both. I'd like to see a Steampunk game that wasn't just SciFi or High Fantasy with Steampunk stylings though.

The closest I've gotten so far is Alice: Madness Returns because of the Victorian setting, and Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, again because of the setting.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Cute Steampunk choice description and was very tempted to pick that.

I prefer a mix personally.  Absolutely loved the world of Arcanum where steampunk and fantasy pewpew existed and often collided with each other.

What I DON'T want is where a fantasy games puts in trashy "hipe" elements like WoW's goblins who are so overdone with the hiphop culture it's nauseating, same with the Worgen and the English or DA2 with the Dalish Elves and the Irish. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Both.

Although high fantasy has been overdone in games. More steampunk to add variety will be nice.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

"raping Legolas with a hand grenade thrown from my armored humvee"

Steampunk: I do not think this word means what you think it means.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Does it have to be either?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Does it have to be either?

Yes. Because if it's not one or the other, you just have High Fantasy with a different paint job. High Fantasy has a pretty clear definition, Steam Punk doesn't.

The problem is that Steampunk is as much an artistic style as it is a genre of science fiction or fantasy. There actually exists a Steam Punk Museum and Steam Punk art exhibits at museums around the country, and at the University of Oxford in the UK. As an Art Genre, it's pretty well defined, or at least you'll know it when you see it. Not so much for the story side of things.

As an art style, it's easy to just give a High Fantasy setting a Steam Punk overlay and call it a day, but there's also a Victorian "Gas Light" element that goes missing when you do that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

High Fantasy here. I almost hate steam punk. This is why Black Gold has caught my eye. High Fantasy, and Steampun on opposite sides of a 300km map.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

I am tired of the High Fantasy (Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes) as well as the Low Fantasy (Medieval, Dark Ages) MMOS.

They have been done to death.

Id love to see a good Steampunk, or Wild West MMO made.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Steampunk. Preferably without magic thrown in for "reasons".

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    No "something else entirely" option. Oh well.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Just to get back to it.

This is the PBS special on Steampunk, for any of you who don't know exactly what it is.

http://youtu.be/z6-AmXihFsU

• KBishopKBishop Member Posts: 205

High Fantasy. You can do more with it since you have magic to fall back on, and you have more class options since there are groups that use swords and shields and other melee weapons as well as ranged weapons and magic

Steampunk as a genre is subject to SOME form of realism, which severely limits a lot of the posibilities that you can do.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I like fantasy because you can integrate really any other setting into it.

Steam Punk is a bit meh in itself. I have no problem if it spices up the fantasy setting, but as the only setting, nah thanks.