Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Dragon's Prophet: Hatched Too Soon

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sorien88Sorien88 Member Posts: 15
    I really don't know how SoE hasn't learned yet to wait to release their games. I almost feel like they buy these FTP MMO's just to test the market and figure out what they can get away with.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by Scot

My concern is that with P2P and B2P dying out, a score 7.0 will start to look like a major success in MMO land. "Hatched to Soon" could go on the school report card of every F2P MMO.

You get what you pay for, and frankly F2P games should not be expected to be as fun as P2P games.

P2P games you expect to be able to enjoy fully right out of the box (paying your sub every month).

F2P games you need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get what the developer considers the full experience (all the cool gear, pets, mounts, access to areas sometimes, enchantments, in-game currency, proper inventory space, etc. etc. etc.)

Unfortunately most review sites do not seem to budget for this in their reviews.  MMORPG.com should really give all of their contributors a large enough stipend to experience all he game has to offer on launch before writing a review (of course how feasible that is for a website this size, I don't know).

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Agree, I finally ended up giving it a try and feel a 5.3 is even generous
  • kyse2kyse2 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    yeah when they told us when open beta was cuz I was in closed beta and I knew the game wasn't even close to done it needed at least about 3 to 6 months of work and the cash shop needed more testing! the game could of been alot better but I do like the game and ill most likely go for 70 but I wont grind for gear or trying for a house cost way to much!
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    weren't the posters here hyped for this garbage? LOL
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I agree. What's frustrating is that there is a nice deep game with lots of customisation hidden under the faults. Hopefully they can channel the money from early adopters into polishing this.
  • poyznelfpoyznelf Member Posts: 1
    These are the same fine folks who brought us Runes of Magic. A game I have played for the most part since it went live in 2009. They are good at concepts, however full realization of the them are often half-assed and never deliver the full package. The other problem is Runewaker is good at pay to win, so if the title is F2P or even starts as P2P, eventually, you will lose your shirt. Considering all the money they have gotten from me over the past 4 years, I won't be playing this title. I know it won't be as good or as bad as RoM.
  • InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

This game is buggier than a big bug bugging out on a dune buggy. They pretty much went from what I would consider a late alpha / very early CB to release. Sucks I spent money on it, but at least I held off on spending any of the SC.

Such a disappointment.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Pretty much spot on.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

I tried to like the game, was in closed beta and thought, well this game definatly has some potential, yes the linear questing was dated but i thought , if they can fix these bugs before release then it might get me

Along comes release (or open beta) and hey presto bugs still present even some 'game-changing ones' Crafting was slopping/naming was bad, even still had the random text or database name on the objects FFS

As for open beta / release argument this game in my opinion was at least 6months away, what they should of done is focus on release for a date around part 2 of hobbit (dragons and all that) but give the game enough time for the developers to fix some really basic but gambreaking bugs.

If they look at FFIV and that is how to release a game, slowly slowly catchy monkey, not quick grab cash lets run!.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Spot on review very good points. Its such a shame the game has some awesome idears but the cash grab, end game housing at huge cost, mobs going through walls , an underground where you have to restart the dungon is such a waste.

Hatched to soon !!! Yes Yes

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

So Dragon's Profit made no profit

Who knew?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Vayman

One one hand, I agree with a lot of the review. I enjoy the game when I play it. DP won't ever be my main MMO game, but it's a fun diversion. But on the other hand, the game hasn't officially launched. So how can there be a final verdict?

They explain this in the review. MMORPG.com has taken the stance that once a game starts taking money and will no longer do character wipes, it is in a "release state" regardless of what they want to label it as.

Personally, I think this should apply to Firefall since that game while in closed beta has been basically B2P with no character wipes. You can pay a minimum of $20 to access the game which has a full cash shop and no character wipes.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Thats a fair review Bill.  I've played DP up to level 25. Its a mixed bag.  I like the dragon system and the combat system, but the game itself is little more than a grind fest, at this point.  Way too many bugs and over sights (it didn't even auto scale its screen resolution, when I played, which left the controls off screen).  It was released much too early, which is a shame, because most people aren't going to give it a second chance.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I agree to a point but I am outright surprised by all these mentions of 'bugs', if I ran into any I don't remember them and/or they didn't trip up my game playing and I got past 30.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

So, you're basically sayin' that Dragon's Prophet kicked off the #supermetal tag and joined to tha flamingos and chickens and whatnot under the #notmetal hashtag? :)

Nice summary, DP has potential, (I guess I wrote it at closed beta too, that) both the dragon stable and to goofing around with the dragon's skills are fun concepts, but the boring grind kills it off totally.

Maybe just me, but I think it could be a much better game if they'd ditch the mmo part (I know, heresy :) ) and focusing only the dragon part. Something like the pc version of Magic: TG was. Skipping the grind and the pretty lame character development part, leaving only the "avatar walking around in the world, taming and collecting dragons, then develop them to get the most efficient, multi-role stable of them". But I guess it would be too boring for most players...

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The generous use of invisible walls to keep ppl from flying where they want really starts to get on your nerves. And, like I said before: With only 2 slots for active and 2 slots for stabled dragons without paying up you don't have much choice.
  • STAUDERWALKIESTAUDERWALKIE Member Posts: 18
    That Metal video was epic..still get a chuckle thinking about it..wish the game was as entertaining as that video for sure..i gave it a chance but not my type of game :)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

To be perfectly honest I don’t think I would have given it a score of 5.3 after the last time I played and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone in its current state. It's the only game this year where I feel completely ripped off and wish I hadn’t bought into it.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    If it had the graphical polish that that on-rails, boring piece of sludge FFXIV had, many tunes would change. No, I didn't like this either.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

This is where I dislike F2P games. The core part of the game requires money to play. That is not free to play to me. "You get to have dragons" is true but only a few if you don't pay. I read the official forums where people said that with over 300 dragons there is only about 30 that you want to have. Even if you pay then you can't get most of those and what about keeping ones that might not be the most useful but you enjoy? It is a game where I feel like if you play for free then you are getting a Nintendo DS version and if you pay you get the Wii version. I really liked the idea. The execution did fail for me. I wish I could enjoy F2P games more but most I can not get into. 

This is a game that really interests me but it is one that I uninstalled after about an hour of playing and reading the forums. Realized it was not a game that would hold my interest. I do wish them luck and hope the game gets better. Guess I was hoping for a Pokemon type game but with only dragons.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Plain and simple any game SOE Publishes (Wizardry, DP, Bullet Run)...Suck. Any game SOE Develops far and away blows those games out of the water(EQ, EQ2, SWG, DCUO, Planetside, PS2).

Why do the Published games suck? Because the other developers suck at what they do. Why is the stuff in those published games gated behind F2P currency. SOE didnt put that in, the developers of those games built in those gates. SOE gets the bad rap because they are publishing it, it uses SC instead of Runewaker Cash.

SOE Develops great games, I don't claim to understand why they publish sub-par games from sub-par developers :(

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Played DP for about a week and a half. Was fun dealing with all the Dragons. Combat was nothing special, good or bad. 

Cash shop nickel and dimeing you? I cannot agree more.  Everytime you stub a toe, 25SC...

Most telling part to me was after I stopped playing, I never felt even the slightest twinge of desire to go back.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    It's a shame.  In concept, the game has some awesome ideas but the game plays and looks like shit.  How is it in 2013 games are performing worse and worse?  Is it poor engine design?  Maybe someone more techy can explain this.  Why can't so many MMOs get that fluid, connected feeling in their combat? 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube