Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for long time gamers..why do you post negatively about games?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Why ask why?  I post negatively sometimes because it amuses me to.....

Nothing more to it than that.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The needs of the old and grumpy out weigh the needs of the young and stupid

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Originally posted by Murugan

Originally posted by Jhustyn

Its a good question really.....I have posted my fair share of negative posts about games......but..I think I have found myself finding a few good words to say about a game every now and then too......

Its probably got something to do with were just getting older and have developed more patience.......Its the "now" generation......I would suspect that patience in younger gamers is just as thin as ever......its probably not good to generalize age groups etc.....but.....Its just something I notice from personal experience...the older I get...the more patient I am...Anyway....I hope that wasn't too negative...... :)

That makes no sense, if you were more patient then you wouldn't have to resort to flaming.

To me flaming is both a symptom of the newer generation that knows only social media/online communication and is therefore more apt to "flame" anything they dislike (whether or not they have really given it a chance or not, a sign of their impatience and short attention spans); as well as a symptom of the jaded individual who no longer has fun doing activities he used to find enjoyable and seeks to spread his misery to others wherever they may be.

The latter has existed since the dawn of the internet, and before then (though they were obviously shunned/ignored by most of society prior to being given a voice on the internet).  But I think the prevalence of flaming today can be blamed on this new generation (though they have obviously converted many older people over to the full time occupation of online forum troll).

I think you know you have it really bad when you are no longer content to just troll forums like these but are going around posting negative comments on news stories on other websites where you have to create an account just to post your snarky comment.

Originally posted by maplestone

If I may answer the question with a question: why post negatively about gamers?

(the answer is likely the same)

Agree with maplestone's observation and would like to highlight the top quote as an example.

Jhustyn acknowledged the OP for posting a good question and responded with his own personal experiences and observations. Not singling out any one person just expressing his viewpoint.

Then someones reply to Jhustyn was to say that he makes no sense (a personal insult), then, continues with "if you were more patient then you wouldn't have to resort to flaming." (again personal as well as out of context)

If we have a read of Jhustyn's post, nowhere did he mention that he flamed anyone or anything. A constructive negative comment (somewhat of an oxymoron though not unlike constructive criticism) about a game does not constitute a flame.

I'm sitting here wondering why people are so determined to find misguided reasons rather than facts then twist them out of context to bring someone down? As maplestone pointed out, the answer is likely to be the same as this topics questions answer. I'm more inclined to ask this question to the agresser - What 's your main motive for posting your negative posts? To get a response first though they would need to be aware of their negativity which I'd doubt many are.

Going back to the threads question, I agree in part with Jhustyn's reasons finding myself having similar experiences. Generally, the older I become the more patient I am. I would rather see and discuss the positives because when you become negative it tends to spread like a virus. However, sometimes I will point out things, not to attack but to highlight and convey things I see within these forums. As for posting negative comments about games, I try to be constructive if there are things I don't like about it and offer ideas to be discussed about solutions. This is how I envisage a decent forum community would work, discussing features, ideas, solutions, theories and topics of interest.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by jeddak

For those that do: Why do you post negative posts about games (especially mmo types)?

I know every type of gamer will answer and that's fine but as someone who used to post heavily in game forums (and still read them) it seems that people are more negative these days (and this is based on 20+ years of game forums) in game and out.

If you don't post negatively feel free to post why you think many do.

For me (I've done my share of negative posting) I used to do it because I felt strongly about something and wanted to talk about it. I eventually learned to be more even-handed in my opinions as I have aged but I find that I need to know why folks are compelled to post negative posts, ie : why 'this game' won't make it   ...why this group of people are wrong...what I dislike about 'this game'.

My reasoning for this thread is that at times reading a game forum about a game you like can be fun but not when it is filled with folks who seem to need to dislike something intensely and need anyone else that plays or not know about it.

I don't go out of my way to post negatively, but if there is a discussion going on I will give my thoughts on it even if they are negative.  I think there are many out there who think the genre and gaming industry in general are going down a path they don't like and they will let you know it.  That is what these types of forums are for.  They are for discussing all aspects of games, not just the good.  Now there are also some who seem to hate every mmo out on the market and thus think of every game in negative terms.  I don't mind negative posts about games I like.  What I don't really like are the one liner posts of "this game sucks its nothing but a wow clone."  I just kind of feel sorry for those people, but I'm sure they feel sorry for me to, or at least anger for something they think requires the ability of a retarded monkey to play.  But to each their own, retarded monkeys can hate everything they see too.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I think there are some legitimate concerns and criticisms brought up in the negativity in posts.

But most often the posts are kind of like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I think lots of people on here exaggerate to counter perceived slights in the opposite. Fans post fanatical praise to counter criticism. Those who dislike a game exaggerate how bad it is to counter perceived fanboyism / white knighting. A lot post constructively without resorting to extremes. Its best just to avoid both extremes and read the posts than can see both pros and cons.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Negative feedback differs from being negative (pessimistic). Stereotyping people who play videogames longer as the people who are negative may not be very far off but I feel like it is inaccurate.

I think the reason most older gamers are negative about new release is because we have all been there when a new release seemed great, best thing ever, just to be extremely let down after release (cough*Aion*cough). Because of this we foreshadow every release to be the outcome that we had previously experienced. Honestly, who can blame those people? The last few years have been one let down after another. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people set the most insane expectations now but really a lot of games are just garbage.

Back to my main point though, I feel like negativity stems from a lot of younger players and people new to MMOs. If it isn't this or that then it is stupid and written off. I mean I'm only 22 years old but I've been playing mmorpgs for about 10 years. Over the past...5 years or so (I'd actually say around the time that Burning Crusades was leading into WOTLK) I started seeing a surplus of negativity, bashing, and trolling.

These days I am trying to be more optimistic and have high hopes for FFXIV: AAR, Archeage, and some others.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by free2play

Forums are notorious for spinning and misquoting.

Also people are very bad at seeing things in extreme black and white.

I could write a review about any given game, point out 5 good things, 5 bad things and the 5 good things will get completely ignored and cut out of quotes while the blood hounds feed on the negative.

My question is, why do the forum users do this? Feed on the negative?

I don't know, I think you would get just as many who would focus on the good things and tell you why those things aren't really good, and god forbid if any of the good points you listed were themepark elements.  Then not only would those not be good, but you would be an idiot for liking them and you would personally be responsible for the downfall of the mmo genre and possibly society as well.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I never do i just play what i want and dont talk shit about another game without trying it

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I'll try to be fair when I post negative comments :P.  Most games have some good sides of them and I'll mention those but warn people I felt they were overall bad.

The issue we have at this forum is every game in the genre is destined to fail except the game people are playing or the one they are waiting for (so they basically just troll the rest of us).

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

On average, there are more negative post, because if your happy, you don't need to say anything!

As for why I post negative posts, I know it is in vein, but I hope they will hear and fix what ever the thing is that I don't like!!!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    It's very simple. Because they keep being bad. Once they start being good again, I'll post positive things.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

For those that do: Why do you post negative posts about games (especially mmo types)?

I know every type of gamer will answer and that's fine but as someone who used to post heavily in game forums (and still read them) it seems that people are more negative these days (and this is based on 20+ years of game forums) in game and out.

If you don't post negatively feel free to post why you think many do.

For me (I've done my share of negative posting) I used to do it because I felt strongly about something and wanted to talk about it. I eventually learned to be more even-handed in my opinions as I have aged but I find that I need to know why folks are compelled to post negative posts, ie : why 'this game' won't make it   ...why this group of people are wrong...what I dislike about 'this game'.

My reasoning for this thread is that at times reading a game forum about a game you like can be fun but not when it is filled with folks who seem to need to dislike something intensely and need anyone else that plays or not know about it.

I can answer this.

Look at my sig if can. The difference between now and 20 years ago, was that there is a larger competition now days than back then. Marketing wasnt the same as it was back then, since most people didnt even have Internet to counter bad products. Now days people, the consumers, have a voice that isnt just their Wallets. Thats not the same thing 20 years ago unless it was a Protest. Which I doubt many would do for a Video Game that happens to be a piece of shit.

Morally, I believe some people dont like seeing people get scammed by people with money and power to control the masses. Although many of us believe Humans have free will, scientist know that its easy to control people. Thats where the Science of Politics and Science of Marketing were developed. Why you believe they have these classes in College if it wasnt real deal?

These people with Media control, know how to poke your buttons to get you to buy the most crappy of products. I just saw a news segment a few mins ago, about how companies are now days taking your data and researching about what you and other consumers like and react best to. More control.

But out of the masses, sits a minority that has the critical thinking, and social stigma resistance to see past these illusions and actually take a stand against this. The Blinded sheep may not see it while sheeped, but they still sometimes wake up.

“The greatest mistake of the movement has been trying to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then you'll get action.” -Malcolm X

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Because we want better games not cheeper crap with hype. We want the mmos to get bertter not worse.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

MMO's are not merely recreational entertainment but a lifestyle. A lot of people have strong emotional ties attached to it.

I've personally seen people fly into an identity crisis once they figure out they  no longer enjoy gaming like they used to, or suffering from severe burn out. "If I'm not a gamer then wtf am I?"-  It's kind of scary to watch really

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

I tend to post more negatively about the people who play the games rather than the games themselves.  When I have posted negatively about a game though it's usually been because that game, or the developers and publishers of that game, have insulted me in some kind of way.  You have to remember, these people aren't magical.  They are not gods, not divine, and not above reproach.  Having once been an industry insider I know for sure that mostly they're just people, like you and I, trying to find a way to get paid and survive.  Sometimes they catch on to an idea that, although a moneymaker, is downright unethical and sometimes even dangerous to the psyche.  When that happens there is a choice to be made, and as we have seen in a lot of titles, the choice often gets made in the name of money above all else.

No one wants their kid (or adult) slamming shit all over the house, beating each other up, learning how to rip people off, being racist, learning how to use guerilla tactics, killing themselves, or in general learning how to become a bigger POS than they already are, and when the games support this kind of behavior for no other reason than ignorance, or the fact that it's making them money, I feel compelled to speak out.

Likewise when there are shenanigans like how once I actually went out and purchased an entire new computer because EQ suddenly began crashing on my old one, and all you heard from their customer service was how your machine was too old, only to fire up that same computer almost a year later and have it run the game perfectly.

That's bullshit right there, and when it happens it needs to be talked about.

Mostly though, a lot of my posts are really about how to improve both the games and the community.

I would hope that people don't confuse critical thinking with negativity because I'm not really here to be negative.

Some acts just beg for it though, and when that happens, far be it for me to play the role of the bigger man when I am part of the community being screwed over.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

So many well thought out posts, I can't respond to all of them. 

Times like this,  I wish it was like facebook and I could hit the 'like' button or thumbs up.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

From my experience because they are negative, boring and angry also in their REAL lives. Nothing more to add.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

It is sad that you even ask.

Look at the mmo industry at large. The only thing you see is a big fat marketing and nothing else.

Misleading, item shops, big words this is all we get from developers nowadays (yes I am generalizing).

The problem is just the opposite - too few people post negatively about games. So they can package and sell shit on a stick as an mmo.

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

It is sad that you even ask.

Look at the mmo industry at large. The only thing you see is a big fat marketing and nothing else.

Misleading, item shops, big words this is all we get from developers nowadays (yes I am generalizing).

The problem is just the opposite - too few people post negatively about games. So they can package and sell shit on a stick as an mmo.

Aprox 90% to 95% of posts are negative. You would like to add even more? And anything changed for better because of this? Nope. Problem with great majority of negative posters is in space between their ears. I would never spend minute in forums that are around games i do not longer play. I might use them as bad example, but I will never go on any forum or post about Aion, Rappelz, .... Life is to short to spend time in what one consider trash. Yet majority enjoy jumping, swimming, ... in that.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

to sound "Kewl"!!! and be accepted among the haters club. Cos they think being an immature hater is kewl!!

Thats why most bashers bash any mmo. SPecially within the in game global chat. People in Rift bashing WoW and GW2 and praising Rift as the perfect game. People in Tera doing the same thing. People in GW2 doing the same thing. SPecially bashing WoW. Ive been playing WoW this past month and form all the mmos ive played this past few years their trade chat is the one that talks less about other mmos (at least on the 4 servers i have characters on). Not saying it doesnt happen, but i happens less often than other games.

Originally posted by rojo6934

to sound "Kewl"!!! and be accepted among the haters club. Cos they think being an immature hater is kewl!!

Thats why most bashers bash any mmo. SPecially within the in game global chat. People in Rift bashing WoW and GW2 and praising Rift as the perfect game. People in Tera doing the same thing. People in GW2 doing the same thing. SPecially bashing WoW. Ive been playing WoW this past month and form all the mmos ive played this past few years their trade chat is the one that talks less about other mmos (at least on the 4 servers i have characters on). Not saying it doesnt happen, but i happens less often than other games.

Well there is one big exception I'm enjoying again for months ... SWTOR. :-) Very very rarely some provoker comes with arguments about wow, gw2, ... people are more busy playing and enjoying. And no Chuck Norris jokes or alike. Really love SWTOR also from this perspective. As for end game ... I'm positive no game at all should have any dps meter or alike ... group play is always very positive in swtor, no kicking, no bashing, ... if wipe occure, just start over. etc etc. As said, there is always some exception but fortunately only exception.

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Why do I post negatively about games?

I think the better question is, why are there so many shitty games to talk about?

Less shitty games, less negative talk.

You should probably e-mail this advice to all developers, I won't charge for the valuable insight.

Obviusly you do not have anything better to do in your life. I have so many fun things to do and explore despite my age, that would be terrible vaste of time bashing all games I do not like. Besides is ATITUTDE that is problem. Also if we take in account NEVER all players will be happy, always there will be a lot unsatisfied, you will never ever run of your "job" of bashing games you dislike. So obviusly problem is you.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Why do I post negatively about games?

I think the better question is, why are there so many shitty games to talk about?

Less shitty games, less negative talk.

You should probably e-mail this advice to all developers, I won't charge for the valuable insight.

Obviusly you do not have anything better to do in your life. I have so many fun things to do and explore despite my age, that would be terrible vaste of time bashing all games I do not like. Besides is ATITUTDE that is problem. Also if we take in account NEVER all players will be happy, always there will be a lot unsatisfied, you will never ever run of your "job" of bashing games you dislike. So obviusly problem is you.

But hating a whole group of games is good. Right?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5840630

"NO. Hate f2p, destroyer of good gaming."

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    MMORPG's are all kittens, rainbows and sunshine.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville