Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Black Desert: Daeil Kim On What Sets Their Game Apart

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In recent weeks, Black Desert has been making people's heads turn. We managed to catch up to Daeil Kim to talk with him about what makes Black Desert so unique and different from any other MMO out there. See what the difference is before weighing in on the discussion in the comments.

MMORPG.COM: There has been a lot of talk about combat in your game. Can you sum up your combat system for Western Players? What elements set it apart from other MMOs?

Daeil Kim: I was a big fan of 2D based fighting games such as Street Fighter, Final Fight, and Samurai Showdown, but it has proven difficult to bring the fighting action of those games to 3D MMORPGs. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Black Desert: Daeil Kim On What Sets Their Game Apart.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    In all honesty anything that has the word sandbox in I would be interested in taking a look at it. I hope the game does well. I may just try it.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This game looks better then anything coming out.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Really keeping an eye on this game, thanks for covering it MMORPG.com.  Keep bugging them for beta keys :)
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

from the trailers it looks like they have managed to create a very alive world with NPCs that have a purpose of their own, rather than just standing in one spot waiting to be talked to or killed. I really hope that is the case and not just staged for the trailers. 

The combat looks really interesting. Certainly it seems to have impact. Not sure I like how the camera moves though. 

Definitely keeping an eye on this

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

My #1 most anticipated MMO, sandbox, action combat and graphics that make TERAs look terrible.

Also fluff features like housing, parkour, dynamic weather and more.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    The game looks amazing. It shows many different cultures and day-to-day village/city life akin to 18th century but in a fantasy setting. I always wanted mmos to have different human cultures in the game and develop different cultures for it's fantasy races too and it seems this game at least attempts to do that a little bit. I hope it comes to the west and finds a playerbase.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

My #1 most anticipated MMO, sandbox, action combat and graphics that make TERAs look terrible.

Myself as well. This is really the only mmo I'm looking forward to other than TESO which I have mixed feelings about and will have to see what they do with it in the coming year.

As long as this game doesn't add completely silly things or things that are extremely anachronistic then "I'm in".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The environment and medieval setup looks fantastic, too bad they are ruining it with asian style characters and combat :(

Edit: Oh, it's Korean developer...

• ellebishopellebishop Member UncommonPosts: 28
    i can never get used to the mouse and number pressing action combat D: , somehow i've really prefered gw2 combat system, hope they meet somewhere between the lines for black desert. so that players who like both can meld.
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by coretex666

I have been following this game for some time and have to admit that I am quite excited about it.

One of the many problems I had with MMOs released in last decade is that they somehow lack "soul" if it makes any sense.

So far, I have not had this feeling regarding this game...well...at least based on interviews and videos.

I get want you mean about soul. So many seem rehashed copies lacking a spark of life in them.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Mounted combat and living world, where do I sign up for beta?This and EQNEXT are the only things on my radar now.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Myself as well. This is really the only mmo I'm looking forward to other than TESO which I have mixed feelings about and will have to see what they do with it in the coming year.

As long as this game doesn't add completely silly things or things that are extremely anachronistic then "I'm in".

I agree, I really hope they don't pull a TERA with the route it's been going lately, casualized and goofy Korean style pets/weapons/mounts/cosmetics.

I really hate that kind of stuff, I have hopes Black Desert can keep it's medieval theme.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

I had heard of some people highly expecting a game called Black Desert, but I had no idea what it was. WOW, this game has shot from something I knew nothing about to being more anticipated for me than ESO and ArchAge. Those two trailers are beyond stunning, and like many others I've had enough crappy themepark mmo's to fill a life-time.

The age of the themepark is over the age of the sandbox has begun (again =P)!

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Nice read, ty.

I did not like the part regarding housing though, sounds like it will be another game that offers a housing market that can be cornered by a small group of hardcore gamers and possible exploiters/hackers, any dev team can say this will not happen but it has occurred in many games prior without change.

Cant say i like that system of some housing as opposed to open world housing, i mean in a sandbox game you aim for these things, you should not be limited and forced to play into boredom for the insane amount of pixel value it will cost to buy your spot off of one of the above type players multiple houses.

Other than that i like the sound of the game, have been following it for awhile and will still try it out as it sounds like my kind of game....with or without a poorly arranged housing system.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Info finally and good info too, thanks!

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'll be interested in seeing how this works out for you guys that are looking forward to this.  Some stuff sounds really cool, but the limited availability, dominant guild controlling things does not at all.

Yeah I agree with that, what ends up happening is what is happening to Darkfall UW and what happened to Darkfall, Giving housing control to large clans with small minds is a bad idea and will hurt the game in the long run...big time.   I hope they see this before they release and change that idea.

If they dont the economy, map....everything will be controlled by a large clan, and if they think its up to a playerbase to change that...then they really need to resort to the history of Darkfall.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    For some reason while watching the fighting I thought of Vindictus
  • LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Anything with sandbox in it, is a Player Killing/PvP/gankfest.
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    This looks and sounds damn sexy...oh so sexy. Lets hope what they are saying and what they are showing pans out. 

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• I know nothing about it yet (and I don't like to know too much before a game goes live) but I love the comments so far. :)
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Salenger

Nice read, ty.

I did not like the part regarding housing though, sounds like it will be another game that offers a housing market that can be cornered by a small group of hardcore gamers and possible exploiters/hackers, any dev team can say this will not happen but it has occurred in many games prior without change.

Cant say i like that system of some housing as opposed to open world housing, i mean in a sandbox game you aim for these things, you should not be limited and forced to play into boredom for the insane amount of pixel value it will cost to buy your spot off of one of the above type players multiple houses.

Other than that i like the sound of the game, have been following it for awhile and will still try it out as it sounds like my kind of game....with or without a poorly arranged housing system.

The houses you can buy/rent are in the open world. Or better said in the cities of that game.

This is actually a good idea, because of that cities may actually look and feel alive. But i agree that it is a shame, that you can't build new houses in the world, or even better build new cities.

But well... we have to wait until we know more, or even can play that game to see how much sandbox really is in that game, and how everything works together. Up to now it just looks good. But at least that is a matter of fact. The trailer look impressive.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Why, oh why, go for photoreal landscapes and combine that with silly over the top character animation? It just looks silly.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Did they really just list one of the features of this game as watching people through windows...?