Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name an MMORPG feature that was never copied , but wish was.

124»

Comments

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

darkfall's combat feeling..

True playerskill based combat system..

Fast FPS fantasy settings.. open world // pvp FFA // lootable, with better sandbox elements and territory control..

I am talking about the first darkfall and not the crappy holy wars

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Ultima Onlines skill system. I liked that you had limitations. Every game that claims to have inspiration from UO's system is full of total crap. They are missing one, just one simple key ingredient. LIMITATION. In games such as Darkfall you can max out EVERYTHING. In UO you could only max out 7 things completely. Many would do 5 or 6 and spread the rest of the points out for utility, while some would stick to the tried and true 7x GM. I'd love to see that system back in place. 

For those who didn't play, you would have many, many skills to max out. You would only gain in a skill by actually using it. So basically you'd start off with 0 skills. If you wanted to work swordsmanship up, you'd use a sword. You'd max it out at 100, leaving 600 points available to be dispersed towards things such as Anatomy, Archery, Fencing, Healing, Maces, Parrying, Alchemy, Blacksmith, Carpentry, Cooking, Spirit Speak, Magic, Meditation, Chivalry, Peacemaking, Provocation, Herding, Taming, Animal Lore, Begging, Stealing, Stealth, Mining, Fishing, Lumberjacking, Tracking, Hiding, Lockpicking, Snooping, Detecting Hidden people, Camping, Taste and Item Identification, Tailoring, Tinkering, Inscription, Cartography, Bowcraft, Throwing, Wrestling and more that I can't remember. Oh yeah Music too.

So in today's games everyone wants EVERYTHING. Now you can max out EVERYTHING. Back then you'd specialize one character (whos identity could become well known) into something like taming + magic, or maybe you want to make a theif who had skills in swordsmanship, snooping, stealing, hiding, stealth and maybe poisoning and peacemaking (with a bit of magic for travel). 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MMOPapa

[Notice no one has mentioned any World of Warcraft features?]

That's because many of its features have been so well received that its features have become industry standards. ex: comparison with equipped gear when hovering over a market item

While each of the features you had listed has been done several times, most of them in a game prior to the one listed, the Pushcart of iRO was something I had to look up. Now THAT is a rather unique feature, and I don't think I've seen that in any other MMO. The closest I can think of would be using a freighter in EVE.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre