Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time Investment? First PvP FFA Game?

Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Howdy,

So through a few threads that argued for pro-FFA PvP I eventually decided that although I'm against it at the moment because of past experiences in WoW and other games I should at least try it, open mind and what have you. 

Though as of current I work 14 hour shifts and average nearly 57 hours a week, with only an hour a day to play...So I only average at least 3 hours a week in game at a maximum.

I was wondering if that amount of playtime would lend itself to this game, or if I'd not be able to progress very much or be present enough for a clan to consider my inclusion. I have heard these games require more time and dedication, part of the "hardcore" experience.

Also I was wondering if you'd recommend it for someone who only played a few hours of the original Darkfall, and who's relatively new to the sandbox and free for all aspect. I've played Anarchy Online extensively, but that was mostly sandbox and PvE.

Thank you kindly for your time! ^.^

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
NZXT Phantom 410 Case
Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

I love this game but i'm not going to lie, 3 hours is very little, i'd recommend 10 hours a week as a casual player.

The game is great fun though, aslong as you're willing to accept you will need some time before maxing a role then it'd be fine.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Tierless

I wonder if EVE might be a better option since you can skill up while not playing. The issue with EVE is I can never get past a lack of avatar.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've never played EVE despite it actually looking very interesting. That and I've heard it's sorta like spreadsheets the screensaver.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

By the time you reach a competitive state this game will probably be dead, wouldn't bother with it.

You can always go for EVE, which Is a fantastic sandbox, but I too wish there was a solid and polished fantasy sandbox or even sandpark game out or coming to the industry.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

By the time you reach a competitive state this game will probably be dead, wouldn't bother with it.

You can always go for EVE, which Is a fantastic sandbox, but I too wish there was a solid and polished fantasy sandbox or even sandpark game out or coming to the industry.  

Because of the time it would take to skill up? Or because you think the game is in decline? I mean...Isn't it brand new?

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    You only need 20k prowess to be pvp viable.  With your playtime I would say that would take you Two months.  Focus your prowess points into one role and you will be fine.  Get into a clan and have the dedicated crafters keep you outfitted.  
    Originally posted by Electro057

Because of the time it would take to skill up? Or because you think the game is in decline? I mean...Isn't it brand new?

Both.  At 3 hours a week or even a day your prowess ( experience points basically ) is going to go up extremely slow, and in order to get large prowess gain in a short amount of time you need to farm the better mobs which will constantly be camped by groups of players that you will not be able to get around unless you have a large powerful group of your own that will  be ready to assist you whenever you log in for those 3 hours.  

Yes it is a newer game, but believe it or not with all of its problems darkfall one actually had more depth then this game.  DFUW is a huge team slayer with absolutely no sand in the box, it does not in any way justify 15 dollars a month for anyone who has played a good sandbox.   What it does do right however that Darkfall one didn't is way better balance between roles, and a more clean but less informative UI.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

To sum it up...

DF1 had quite a few large flaws which meant it'd never grow as a game. The fundamentals were too harsh or just wrong.

DFUW has fixed those fundamentals and is slowly adding the content in week by week.

As with all MMOs the population took a hit after the first month. Population in-game is currently great, so much PvP and fun every day. The general attitude ingame is that the population is/will slowly rise now.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Howdy,

So through a few threads that argued for pro-FFA PvP I eventually decided that although I'm against it at the moment because of past experiences in WoW and other games I should at least try it, open mind and what have you. 

Though as of current I work 14 hour shifts and average nearly 57 hours a week, with only an hour a day to play...So I only average at least 3 hours a week in game at a maximum.

I was wondering if that amount of playtime would lend itself to this game, or if I'd not be able to progress very much or be present enough for a clan to consider my inclusion. I have heard these games require more time and dedication, part of the "hardcore" experience.

Also I was wondering if you'd recommend it for someone who only played a few hours of the original Darkfall, and who's relatively new to the sandbox and free for all aspect. I've played Anarchy Online extensively, but that was mostly sandbox and PvE.

You mention that you only played a few hours of the original Darkfall.  Were your time constraints the reason for leaving that game or something else?

~Hairysun

Originally posted by Hairysun

Howdy,

You mention that you only played a few hours of the original Darkfall.  Were your time constraints the reason for leaving that game or something else?

~Hairysun

Well I had to play forum fall for a few weeks which soured me to the game right off the bat, and did the F5 battle to get a copy. Then the launcher had problems connecting and patching for me. I think it was cause I live in Canada and the servers were in Europe? I'm not sure.

And then I picked a login spot that apparently wasn't ideal because I logged in and was near immediately hunted down and killed, didn't quite know what to do....Lagged about for awhile, disconnected a few more times, and decided that I'd had enough after being ganked a few times and not having any idea what I was doing. There wasn't really any draw to the game after that. I was also working and studying to get my degree, so I just let my subscription run out. 

And by lag I mean the running in the spot, teleporting about, and then finding out I was dead minutes later sort...So that was a big deal breaker.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

Originally posted by Hairysun

Howdy,

~Hairysun

Well I had to play forum fall for a few weeks which soured me to the game right off the bat, and did the F5 battle to get a copy. Then the launcher had problems connecting and patching for me. I think it was cause I live in Canada and the servers were in Europe? I'm not sure.

And then I picked a login spot that apparently wasn't ideal because I logged in and was near immediately hunted down and killed, didn't quite know what to do....Lagged about for awhile, disconnected a few more times, and decided that I'd had enough after being ganked a few times and not having any idea what I was doing. There wasn't really any draw to the game after that. I was also working and studying to get my degree, so I just let my subscription run out. 

And by lag I mean the running in the spot, teleporting about, and then finding out I was dead minutes later sort...So that was a big deal breaker.

lol .... what a mess.  Forumfall hasn't changed a bit as I'm sure your aware of.  As far as client stability goes the game seems to run great for most providing you have the specs to run it.  There are still a few folks having DC problems at sieges, but, a lot has improved on that front.

Aventurine has tried to accommodate less experienced players substantially with DFUW.  This improvement is seen as a downfall to many of the vets from DF1.  Some of which frequent this site as a quick read through of the forums would clearly  indicate.  Not all is bad with DFUW as some would like you to believe.

Back to your initial questions on time.  Simply put at roughly 12 hours a month it would be a long grind for you to become viable in a PvP sense.  The game is currently set up where you can become technically PvP viable without ever leaving the safe zones.  The beginner feats of PvE mobs, crafting and harvesting will get you over 20k prowess points easy.  The mobs won't be an issue, you simply go out and kill  "x" amount of what ever.  To get the crafting prowess points, you will need to put in some time harvesting resources (Iron nodes, herb bushes and trees which also give PP) this is slow going and at 3 hours a week it will be rough getting anywhere.    

Another (and probably better) option would be the guild route.  Perhaps you could check around with some guilds and explain your time constraints prior to a purchase.  I'm sure there are ones that play a more casual game of DFUW.

I do enjoy DFUW.  It certainly has it's issues but from a perspective of "FUN" no other MMO can come even close.

~Hairysun 

Originally posted by Greymoor

To sum it up...

DF1 had quite a few large flaws which meant it'd never grow as a game. The fundamentals were too harsh or just wrong.

DFUW has fixed those fundamentals and is slowly adding the content in week by week.

As with all MMOs the population took a hit after the first month. Population in-game is currently great, so much PvP and fun every day. The general attitude ingame is that the population is/will slowly rise now.

I would agree with all of your statements, definitly the first sentence. But you left out some huge details.  They are slowly adding in content that the first game already had, and in addition to they refuse to add in major pieces of content that made the game different and not just a huge team slayer which is why this game will decline.  Tasos replied " Its not needed" to like 20 things in an interview of why all this stuff is getting left out.   

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i would say to progress at a decent rate you're gonna have to be online 10-12 hours a week at min in DF.

that's about what i play and i feel like i'm behind clanmates but not to an embarrassing point.

in eve what is nice is that when you cant play too much you can level a skill offline, and then when your schedule opens up you can play more hours for a while and your skill point gain will remain steady (of course your learning of the actual game will lag behind and if you are not online much you might lack in game currency)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

I love this game, but I don't think it will work out for you.

First of all, your going to miss 99.99% of all sieges and the ones you can make youll most likely have to leave before anything interesting happens.  This is the main reason to play this game, and sieges can take several hours.

Second, while it might be cool for you early on perhaps, your not going to have many options as to what you can do in one hour.  Early on you can hit some safe zone mobs for the feat rewards, and hit some nodes...but soon enough youll need to travel 10-20 minuets to mob spawns...and well getting ganked and losing 100% of your days worked might get old.

This game, a lot of the best parts of it, take a few hours to set up, get in place, and then to see action. 

Now, if you are able to semi afk resource while at work, and spam craft stuff...and you enjoy that, and many do...well you might want to consider the game then.  Dedicated crafter who semi afk resources all day is a needed role for any clan, can never have too many. 

Its a shame too...you could easily enjoy the game if you were able to put in an 8hr stretch once a week and hope your clan sieges/gets sieged on that day during the time your on.  I would say the minimum time online to really enjoy the game would be 3hrs though.  Theres a lot you can do in 3hrs, not so much 1hr...even with the new fast travel sytems theres a lot of travel time and semi afk resourcing/crafting you probably will want to do (even if its not your focus)

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

1 Hour will not cut it. 

However I have seen many with 10K prowess taking on 40k players and wining the fight.

If you are really good in PvP it might work.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

@OP:

Interesting in seeing you here to try out a pvp game whereas you explained your doubts about ffa pvp at a thread at the general forum. I appreciate you for having an open mind, to try out new things, and reconsidering your views.

And overall, the pvp player are not that bad, arn't they? Rather helpfull and all? I don't know if you have enough time for a game like Darkfall, didn't played it because time constraints myself. But maybe you can experience some pvp nevertheless either in Darkfall or another game. I wish you the very best for your first ffa(risk vs. reward) pvp experience.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Like I said, 20k prowess should take you a couple of months with your playtime and that is all that is needed to be pvp viable
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Game is not in a decline.  Its stable with player numbers and possibly leaning positive.

With the right clan prowess gain can be fast.  Look for a large new player friendly one.  Hop on, find a group, rake in the prowess.  With the 15 player frenzy mode of spawns the large newbie guilds will be best bet to gain prowess quickly.  20k prowess could be as little as a week and that is where your main stat can be maxed and have most of your skills GM.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Howdy,

Don't listen to the rest of these trolls.  3 hours a week is NOT enough time to play Darkfall and gain any type of enjoyment or sense of accomplishment.  You will NEVER have the chance to practice pvp to ever be halfway decent, your character will suck (which could be overcome if you had the time to practice but you don't) and you will not have resources like gear and money to play the game at even the noobiest level.  10 hours a week minimum and even then you will likely be a noob forever.

If you try to play only 3 hours a week you will do nothing but safe zone harvest and get absolutely destroyed if you ever set foot outside the safe zone.  Don't bother playing you simply don't have the time to enjoy the experience.

P.S. I like your enthusiasm and willingness to try it out but 3 hours is just not enough.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    My opinion: you are going to waste your precious free time.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    My suggestion to anyone looking to play DF:UW regardless of how much they'll be playing - JOIN. A. GUILD.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    3hrs a week isn't enough time to play an MMO and expect to be done, PvP ready, or raid ready in any reasonable time commitment. I would suggest single player RPGs or a game like mine-craft :/

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by Tierless

I'm in the same boat. The only sandboxy games are too time required so I can never keep up and end up back in theme park games. I can't stand theme park games! We need a sandbox that has all of the open world, player created stuff, but doesn't require insane amounts of time invested just to compete. IMHO you can have a sandbox and make it not require reading through days of information just to make your character correctly.

See you have the disease to where you need to race and keep up.  Game like this theres no keeping up, just learn to play well and a low level character will do just fine.

Time requirement in this game doesn't involve your standard arbitrary race (though lots still try)

in DF having 1hr a day just means you will never participate in a siege, and spend more time just getting to your location than actually playing.

Wont work in this game, but not for the reasons you believe.

Now spending an hour or two a day resourcing and hitting a mob spawn or two...then playing for several hours a day on the weekend...that will work...since youll have the opportunity to participate in clan sieges on the weekend.  One hour a day and youll never get to actually participate since it can take just an hour to group up and get to the siege location prior.

Originally posted by Strangerous

See you have the disease to where you need to race and keep up.  Game like this theres no keeping up, just learn to play well and a low level character will do just fine.

Time requirement in this game doesn't involve your standard arbitrary race (though lots still try)

in DF having 1hr a day just means you will never participate in a siege, and spend more time just getting to your location than actually playing.

Wont work in this game, but not for the reasons you believe.

Now spending an hour or two a day resourcing and hitting a mob spawn or two...then playing for several hours a day on the weekend...that will work...since youll have the opportunity to participate in clan sieges on the weekend.  One hour a day and youll never get to actually participate since it can take just an hour to group up and get to the siege location prior.

Strangerous is profoundly spot on with the above highlighted sentence.  Just look through some videos on youtube and pay attention to the "Prowess Points" on the participants.  You will constantly see a lower level player run over higher level players, even groups of higher level players.  Simply put, high "Prowess Points" do not equate to a good player in DFUW. 

~Hairysun

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    OP will spend 99% of his play time grinding for gear. The gear grind is very casual unfriendly. They should have followed UO's example, but for some reason they decided that gear requires a major time investment. It might be ok if you are good enough that you will always win more than you lose with a gear disadvantage, but otherwise forget it. This game is mainly for unemployed people.
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    OP will spend 99% of his play time grinding for gear. The gear grind is very casual unfriendly. They should have followed UO's example, but for some reason they decided that gear requires a major time investment. It might be ok if you are good enough that you will always win more than you lose with a gear disadvantage, but otherwise forget it. This game is mainly for unemployed people.

Or he can take others gear, kill harvesters and take their mats...you don't HAVE to grind stuff if you don't want to.