Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did they increase the leveling speed?

Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112
Just returned, I'm having a blast but it seems like I blew through the first 10 levels in like an hour. It seems much faster than before, did they increase the leveling speed?

Comments

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

This weekend I believe they are running with xp boosts for everyone so it will be quicker.

The first 10 levels actually had several quests removed and xp has been modified accordingly, making specifically the first 10 levels quicker to get through. Although much has been modified from 10-20, the leveling curve is about the same. 20-50 has modified very little and if you solo level through that content it will still require you to do almost every quest in every zone and take almost as much time. I say "almost" because in every phase of the game mobs have been nerfed, so you can kill them quicker with fewer deaths which will speed up the entire process a little.

Where leveling as a whole has sped up significantly is that there are now instant adventures and better-designed zone events. If you can get into a team of at least 5, these activities can improve your overall leveling speed, not to mention your overall enjoyment of the game.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

ewww, xp weekends :( My least favorite thing in MMOs. Means I can't play all weekend till its over.

The xp weekend will be over on monday right? so I can play again?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

ewww, xp weekends :( My least favorite thing in MMOs. Means I can't play all weekend till its over.

No its permanent. That means you can't play ever again.....

But to the OP yes it definitely does appear they sped up the xp at least up to 50 from what I remember. I did 8 levels yesterday mostly from pvping and minimum questing/Instant Adventures.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Yizle

No its permanent. That means you can't play ever again.....

But to the OP yes it definitely does appear they sped up the xp at least up to 50 from what I remember. I did 8 levels yesterday mostly from pvping and minimum questing/Instant Adventures.

Well, they hugely increased the daily pvp reward. You can get a level a day below lv30 with just 1 or 2 pvp wins. The daily random warfront quests give a lot of xp, below 20 even more than a full level.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

well late replay but w/e. Yes lvl 50 leveling was nerfed about 1.5yr ago to make it quick for one to get to endgame (they did have also a leveling lock at the time which was then later removed coz twinks ruled low level pvp WFs and caused massive newcomer QQ).

50-60 should take about the same amount of time it used to take getting from 1-50 originally so overall the leveling time is about the same, assuming you get through 1-50 within 6-7 hours like you very much can if you want to. Also remember patron status. With it you get daily 40% 2hours xp boost, so if you buy say 7 days of pass you will likely shorten, your leveling by 40% if you play casually and only do leveling for about as long as the daily boost potion lasts. I personally wouldnt recommend it, but hey pandaland leveling is fast so rift's 50-60 should be fast like that rite? 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Don't worry, OP.  The game slams to a crawl in the level 50-60 range.  Annoyingly I might add.  But you really can't gripe about the speed in the first 50 now that you can just mentor down and do quests and content when YOU want instead of burning past it. 
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Lethal920
    Just returned, I'm having a blast but it seems like I blew through the first 10 levels in like an hour. It seems much faster than before, did they increase the leveling speed?

They redid the starting areas eliminating over half the quests in them and greatly increasing the xp of the ones that are left.  Plus all the mobs are yellow con to you now so they don't aggro.  After starting area should be normal though

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Only thing they changed is the tutorial area. Streamlined it(faster) to get new players to the real world. The speed from 1-50 is about as fast as normal. As other posters have mentioned 50-60 is much slower.
  • AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    I've stopped leveling at 51. Stupid concept to slow it down enormously right after 50, feels so unnatural and is not motivating me at all to play any further.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I am with you. In the beginning, when I play City Of Heroes (RIP that BTW, and no still wont play NCSoft because of it), I was all excited for my first 2XP weekend. It had been a struggle for me to hit 50. Later, during another 2XP weekend, I leveled a character from 1-48, and it totally ruined my gaming experience. Since then I avoid such events, and boosters.

Besides, I played RIFT at launch, and still out level much of the content in the first zone before completing it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by elocke
    Don't worry, OP.  The game slams to a crawl in the level 50-60 range.  Annoyingly I might add.  But you really can't gripe about the speed in the first 50 now that you can just mentor down and do quests and content when YOU want instead of burning past it. 

Edit: wrong topic I answered too, thinking I had my neverwinter tab on.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Every sell out mmo increases leveling speed. I remember when this game was advertised as  heroes of telara..the amount of lies thye spewed about this game was something to behold.  They talked about their amazing server technology and how they could change the world from one week to the next..nothing but lies.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Every sell out mmo increases leveling speed. I remember when this game was advertised as  heroes of telara..the amount of lies thye spewed about this game was something to behold.  They talked about their amazing server technology and how they could change the world from one week to the next..nothing but lies.

What lies?  A title change is a lie? Okay....

The server technology is actually amazing, it allows them to patch bugs ASAP and sometimes without having to shut down the whole game.  Patching the game alone is fairly quick compared to all other MMOs out there, they have the shortest downtime I've ever experienced in the genre.

As to changing the world from one week to the next, I recall that being said for GW2 from Arena Net, not for Rift from Trion, although one could argue the zone invasions DO change the world, all the time, and is one of the better and more fun aspects of the game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Margulis

They redid the starting areas eliminating over half the quests in them and greatly increasing the xp of the ones that are left.  Plus all the mobs are yellow con to you now so they don't aggro.  After starting area should be normal though

they need to do that to every trash mob in the game and only give aggro to some (not all) elites and bosses.

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Margulis

they need to do that to every trash mob in the game and only give aggro to some (not all) elites and bosses.

I doubt dumbing the game further will do anyone any good. :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Leveling speed 1-50 is about the same as it ever was but there are "boosts" you can get now that speed it up. 50+ is extra slow though.

Also, some of the tougher mobs have been toned-down. Any quests that involve them are faster simply because you no longer need to put a group together to do them. The giants in Stonefield for example used to be really tough to solo but now they can be soloed by just about anyone with any spec and for certain specs, specially those with the exclusive Storm Legion Souls, they're trivial. Even the Titan at the end of that zone can be soloed without dragging him to the cannons. He used to be a tough mofo back in the early days.

I find that one soul in particular, the rogue Tactitcian with his AOE flamethrower, can just chew through trash at an incredible rate with no downtime. Even in the 50-60 range it levels quite a bit faster than others.

But the sense of leveling speed, as any altaholic will tell you, varies wildly with build. Rift is a retro themepark in the sense that you can easily gimp yourself and struggle with normal mobs if you don't choose abilities wisely. Even the pre-canned "purposes" can lead you astray. They're specially bad at leaving you just one spec point away from an ability that makes life much easier while they go spend points in one of the other souls for something that could wait.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Didn't they add carnage quests or whatever all across the game?  These new instant start/complete quests would add a lot of experience boots that weren't available previously.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Painlezz
    Didn't they add carnage quests or whatever all across the game?  These new instant start/complete quests would add a lot of experience boots that weren't available previously.

The 50+ part of the game has those but the older parts still do it the old way: you either get a carnage (kill x number of y) quests from quest givers, from a quest item a mob drops or from a quest giving item in the world identified by the exclamation mark. That's the same as always. But some quests now will complete and give you the rewards without needing to return to the quest giver. That does speed things up a bit. But not that much since most quests still require you to go back to the hub. 

It's only in 50+ areas where you can just hover your mouse over a mob and you'll see "0/yy" letting you know that as soon as you kill one of that type, a carnage quest will auto-start where you'll need to kill "yy" of that type. Those will also complete without needing to turn them in @ a quest hub.

But I wouldn't call any part of the 50+ leveling experience "fast." Quite the opposite: 50-60 is slow and the closer you get to 60, the slower it gets. It's a grind at the end.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I must be one of those rare people who doesn't like leveling fast. I dont even understand the reason why people want to do faster XP weekends unless you really are all about end game. I like the pace of this game. I just started really playing for the first time, am level 18, the game is pretty solid, kinda worn out after a decade of similar PVE, but it seems like a solid game nonetheless. I'm enjoying my mage, not sure exactly what its called, but my spells are mostly damage over time which I love :-). Maybe its slower XP for free to play, because I did most of the quests and it led me to level 20 area even though I am almost at level 19. I have been doing some rifts and I may force myself to try the PVP even though I suck lol.

There Is Always Hope!