Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you guys ever feel guilty for playing F2P MMOS and not spending a dime?

I have had thousands of hours worth of fun lately playing games like NW, STO and AION. More than i ever had while playing sub MMOS. But i felt bad for not spending a dime and felt really cheap and thought it is like taking advantage of someone's hard work.  After all these devs don't work for free and have bills to pay and their families to take care of. 

Was i being selfish? cheap? (i did spend some money in cash shop of Aion and bought some zen for STO / NW just to show my support)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    If I'm getting a decent amount of hours out of a game I normally pay. That said I wouldn't feel guilty if I didn't. Free players still contribute to the game by simply playing.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i dont at all - because they decided they will go f2p, so why should i pay? if they decided to go p2p, then it would be up to me if i want to pay or not for it.

i actually prefer p2p mmorpgs, if i play f2p one, i make it my "motto" not to pay for it.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Nope, i never play them for more than a week or two, i just can't get attached to them, i get a feeling from the get-go that "i should dump her, she has a disease"
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I played a F2P game where I spent under a sub fee easily and still a small amount. At the time it was worth it by contrast to what I was saving from a sub mmo. BUT.......................

Looking back the F2P stuff I did buy were actually not value for money when compared to originally playing everything for free !!!!!!!!!!

See the logic in the above ie what you compare it to and how the F2P monetization model works. The way to think about F2P now is using 

The Top F2P Monetization Tricks

----------------------------------------------

A) MONEY GAME

VS

B) SKILL GAME

----------------------------------------------

So: Play the skill game, and avoid paying ANY MONEY for the money game. If that means paying nothing = YOU WIN THE GAME, delete from your computer next.

In fact you can actually realize 2 things here:

1. You get satisfaction (endorphin reward) from defeating the devs attempts when it's a shoddy money game and not paying a single dime!

2. Most of these F2P games are not very high skill games, so they are a pure waste of time and you'd do better finding a a real skill game to play and pay for IMHO. The worst as above article hide money games as skill games....

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

nope i dont...usually a f2p mmorpg only last me about 3 months of casual play. 

Spent money on some f2p like vindictus, dragon nest, age of wushu,and some pwi games and didnt stick around long enough.....I felt like i wasted money!!!!! 

IMO only games worth it are premium mmorpgs. Ones that are gonna be steady and active for at  least 2 years.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Benedikt

i dont at all - because they decided they will go f2p, so why should i pay? if they decided to go p2p, then it would be up to me if i want to pay or not for it.

i actually prefer p2p mmorpgs, if i play f2p one, i make it my "motto" not to pay for it.

mod edit

seriously? :)

they (publisher/developer) decided to "sell" and market is as f2p, if it is free to play, why should i pay for it?

(i actually currently play eq2 and vanguard with monthly sub and slowly preparing to play ffxiv, also subbed)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Spent money on some f2p like vindictus, dragon nest, age of wushu,and some pwi games and didnt stick around long enough.....I felt like i wasted money!!!!! 

IMO only games worth it are premium mmorpgs. Ones that are gonna be steady and active for at  least 2 years.

How spending 15 bucks a month for premium MMO is any different than spending 10 bucks a month on F2P MMO of choice? or it is just the bias and prejudice which comes along with the 'F2P' tag?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

i dont at all - because they decided they will go f2p, so why should i pay? if. They decided to go p2p, then it would be up to me if i want to pay or not for it.

Exactly. I come in with the mindset that im not buying one thing. I dont do microtrans anything even in a sub game or buy to play game. 

I wonder how guilty the devs feel taking the money of those who do pay. I know people that work at gamestop, they said its unbelievable how much money people will spend on game cards for free to play titles. They come in the store with 4 kids in the car and a rusted out compact car that barely runs and drop $75-$100 a week on game cards. 

You want to talk about guilt? Imagine being the slimeball who suckers people in so badly they cant afford to  clothe or feed thier kids. Bet that feels real good. 

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I have had thousands of hours worth of fun lately playing games like NW, STO and AION. More than i ever had while playing sub MMOS. But i felt bad for not spending a dime and felt really cheap and thought it is like taking advantage of someone's hard work.  After all these devs don't work for free and have bills to pay and their families to take care of. 

Was i being selfish? cheap? (i did spend some money in cash shop of Aion and bought some zen for STO / NW just to show my support)

It's not your fault they are giving their stuff away for free.

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    I play plenty of F2P and I do not care the slightest if I pay or not. If they have something worth paying for, sure no problem. If not, free it is and free it shall remain!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Battlerock

You want to talk about guilt? Imagine being the slimeball who suckers people in so badly they cant afford to  clothe or feed thier kids. Bet that feels real good. 

Yes.... for the lurd would someone think of the children.... .. .

Trust me if that is an issue, it would have come to be any way... There is no saving people like that short of locking them up.

Any way, i put money in if i like the game, if i don't i play for free until i am bored. But i never spend more then i can afford. This is usually a wise strategy in life.

Now i have all the respect in the world for people who choose to not put money in and then stick to their guns, not moaning because this or that feature is in the cash shop or feel the game is to slow. Now the other group on the other hand... The ones who refuse to put money in but still want the same level of service as a paying customer... .. . Them i feel can take a long walk down a short pier.

This have been a good conversation

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Only if we are talking about a quality game, I'll consider to pay for extras, premium services or even a monthy fee. However, most of the games don't have enough quality, or appeal, to pay for them.

On the other hand, if the game is truly F2P, and the only services which cost money are just aesthetic features. Do moral obligations force you to pay for something you don't need?

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

How spending 15 bucks a month for premium MMO is any different than spending 10 bucks a month on F2P MMO of choice? or it is just the bias and prejudice which comes along with the 'F2P' tag?

if i play a premium mmorpg for less than 3 months and bought it for 40-50 bucks and then 2 months of 15 a month total 70-80 bucks i feel ripped off as well.

one example is league of legends..spent like 70 bucks over 2 and a half years...maybe more...but for 2 years of thousands of gametime is worth it.

recently f2p mmorpgs are way better than they used to be...IM OLD SCHOOL MMORPG PLAYER!!! Used to the p2w crap and stuff. the past left a sour taste in my mouth but i do see ur point..most arent bad nowadays.

Games like Marvel Heroes. Where if u want something u cant get it without spending cash. And its usually the really cool stuff that is cash

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    If I am invested in a game I will spend money even on aesthetic items.  If the game is bad or not to my liking I soon leave.  I don't feel any guilt about that whatsoever.    
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Yes lets blame companies for someones else inability to prioritize his / her life and be mature enough mentally to know and understand that clothing and feeding kids is more important than gaming.

You are right it is all gaming companies fault. image

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I like to support any game I'm playing and enjoy depending on how much time I'm putting in.

A new single player game is around $50-60 and they last on average around 6-12 hours. If I play a f2p for a month or more, I will gladly spend the cost of a new game to show that I liked their work and would like them to continue making games. After that I might spend around $15 a month sometimes more, sometimes less.

the most I've spent on a f2p game was path of exile, they're a small team who made a game that kept me playing nonstop for a little over a month, so I dropped $220 in their shop during that time.

these people are working and entertaining me with their work, it would be entirely inappropriate not to show my support for something that I consumed and enjoyed. Only children can look at a f2p game and think, "oh well I won't pay because they offered it up" only someone who doesn't work can have that mentality,and if they're not children, then they're disgusting human beings.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by tawess

Yes.... for the lurd would someone think of the children.... .. .

Trust me if that is an issue, it would have come to be any way... There is no saving people like that short of locking them up.

Any way, i put money in if i like the game, if i don't i play for free until i am bored. But i never spend more then i can afford. This is usually a wise strategy in life.

Now i have all the respect in the world for people who choose to not put money in and then stick to their guns, not moaning because this or that feature is in the cash shop or feel the game is to slow. Now the other group on the other hand... The ones who refuse to put money in but still want the same level of service as a paying customer... .. . Them i feel can take a long walk down a short pier.

Irresponsible person identified.  /quit sound familiar or what " oh man I just lost / pulls out wallet and buys more power " sure do miss the game genie" 

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    This has to be a top 3 "Most stupid post" I've ever read in my 8 years on this site...
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

This question is the same as walking into a mall having a look around then leaving for a reason of your own personal choice.

So no, I don't feel guilty. If the game is good and I am happy in it as a F2P customer I may pay a bit at a time but I do not drop huge chunks of cash I will drip feed while I am happy.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I second this. When a free service is offered, there is no obligation to pay anything, and certainly no obligation to nanny a business by paying for the sake of 'showing support'. If I want to purchase from their cash shops I will (I'll never want to, purchasing virtual items is senseless to me), if not, and they have to switch payment models or shut down the game because no one bought items, tough for them. That's the world of business for you.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

If there were a F2P game in existence that had the following qualities, I would consider paying.

1.) Worth playing.

So far I have not found one that has the above stated qualities, but I'm always optimistic for the future.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

If the game is to my liking and provides me with hours of fun by playing it then i have no problem whatsoever to spend some money and show my support to the developers of said game.

Frankly i never liked the cheap lot that will never spend a dime on a game even though they spend hundreds of hours playing it and having fun.

Said lot is usually the loudest and the most negative bunch on the boards also, bitching on just about everything which is downright hilarious considering the fact that unlike some other people freeloaders aren't willing to spend any money, hence they are generally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It really is up to the individual player. It sounds like there may be a little guilt settling in, but you did say you spend some money in games that you have played long-term.

Me? if I enjoy it and am having a good time, I want to support the game. I want them to continue making the game great fun.

PS: I have not found a F2P worth giving money to, yet.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Not normally. Games like STO. Lotro and D&D online I have boxed copys and they have had more than enough money from me over the years that I do not all feel guilty. If I have been playing them for over a month on a free account I generaly end up re-subbing anyway to access the full features as I do for any other free to play game that I have been playing for that long. I see no problem with that at all.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

No.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.