Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think that "Everquest Next" is a stupid name?

124»

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Name of the game does not matter, it is the content that counts.

Lots of money and research is put into names because it can actually affect sales significantly. Just like cover art and movie posters.

It is all about have something that will make someone want to look into it more to see how good that content is. Marketing can't be underestimated in how much it plays a role in success and the name is the first step.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Is this just me? Or does anyone else think NEXT just sounds dumb, too simple for a game obviously so advanced? ;-)

- Zaxx

It might seem simple, but it captures everything that you just said. It's "Next Level", revolutionary => Next, it's also, physically, the next version (Next == Next). Maybe it's the "Next" big thing. Maybe NEXT is an acronym. Plus, it will never need another name, since the fact that your products are continually being developed means that every release is the next one. No more need for branding. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i like the title

but it does remind me of Steve Jobs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXT

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Selirious

will be a laughable joke if they go forward with this name

Originally posted by Seliri
    Originally posted by Kuanshu
    Originally posted by Kuanshu
    not going to be promising if they can't understand EverQuest is a game name that doesn't have mainstream marketing appeal

Tapping into the EverQuest veterans isn't the question or the goal, it's a given. O_o

Originally posted by gigat
    I really hope it's just a working title!

Product name can be >EXTREMELY< important in marketing to a wider aspect of the intended demographic.

Well despite all the folderol the game is called Everquest NEXT and the initial marketing is firmly directed at players past and present of Everquest and Everquest 2.

Do not like it?  Sorry that is the decisions that SOE have made for their next game Everquest NEXT!

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by spankybus
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Okay, so obviously a big game. Obviously YEARS of hard work put into it...

Now I'm certainly not saying that they should have called it "Everquest 3"...

But I dunno... "Everquest Next" just sounds like a brainstorming fail for a name. Especially for an mmo that is supposedly as epic as they and mmorpg staff are saying that it is.

Obviously 'Everquest' belongs in the name. I think the word 'next' is the word I have the problem with.

Just a quick 5 second thought process in my mind alone gives me "Everquest Revolution" or "Everquest Ultra" or perhaps something like "Everquest: Break of Dawn" as a much better name.

I dunno. I bet you all can think of 100 names better then Everquest Next for a name, lol.

Is this just me? Or does anyone else think NEXT just sounds dumb, too simple for a game obviously so advanced? ;-)

- Zaxx

At least it's not Evernext...

They should just call it Evercrack :P

So that shows there trying to bring EQ back to its glory days :)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Yeah I think it's dumb but I don't care as long as the game is good.
  • OyamWrOyamWr Member Posts: 7

It was orignially thought to be EverQuest: Origins of Norrath, but they wanted something shorter and it was changed to Next.

Still, I prefer The Online Adventures of EverQuest's NextGen Potato Champions, or TOAoEQNGPC for short.

"WoW? Who cares about wow when you can play TOAoEQNGPC?"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I like the name EverQuest Next.  As long as it's not changed to EQ: NGE after launch, I'm cool with it.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's better than EverQuest 3.  imo they should just call it EverQuest.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by etlar

EverQuest next is, in my opinion a great "working title" name, since it implies so much, actually.

It implies its the next obvious installment of the EQ franchise ofcourse.

: that its a new level of the way we play mmo´s

:Read abofe and add Next Gen gfx (for mmos)

the list could go on, and that alone, to me atleast, says its a great working title, simply because it makes you think abir about what they mean ;)

I also really like the title and see it as implying many things and being basically perfect for what the game will hopefully be.

It shows more imagination than when they named the main good city Qeynos....Sony EQ  *SIGH*

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Personally, I'd go with Everdynamicevent.
  • wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

In my opinion, Everquest NEXT offers a decent nostalgic pull from the EQ community at face value.  If their goal is to get the biggest population at launch, it seems this name would get a very large amount of people to look into the game.  Either because of past experiences, or stories from other people.

If this was truly a completely new game, I don't see why they wouldn't have a new name.  With that said, I respect the fact that they are trying to make a game that aspires to such a long lifetime.

Originally posted by Selirion
    Originally posted by wizardanim

In my opinion, Everquest NEXT offers a decent nostalgic pull from the EQ community at face value.  If their goal is to get the biggest population at launch, it seems this name would get a very large amount of people to look into the game.  Either because of past experiences, or stories from other people.

If this was truly a completely new game, I don't see why they wouldn't have a new name.  With that said, I respect the fact that they are trying to make a game that aspires to such a long lifetime.

they dont need phukking nostalgia are you kidding me?

you're being oblivious if you think all EQ & EQ2 vets wont know EQ3 is out REGARDLESS OF THE NAME

I say this only because they launched the "My EQ Story" campaign which is advertising EQNext based upon Everquest experiences.  If they were trying to pull from a new community, I am not sure why they would put such a huge emphasis on everquest 1 or 2.  All I think this is doing is building hype in the EQ community, despite the name being so obvious.

https://www.everquestnext.com/eq-story

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Think simply Everquest would have been fine take it as a reboot and leave it at that.

they dont need phukking nostalgia are you kidding me?

you're being oblivious if you think all EQ & EQ2 vets wont know EQ3 is out REGARDLESS OF THE NAME

I say this only because they launched the "My EQ Story" campaign which is advertising EQNext based upon Everquest experiences.  If they were trying to pull from a new community, I am not sure why they would put such a huge emphasis on everquest 1 or 2.

https://www.everquestnext.com/eq-story

yes, classic example of their marketing team being out of touch & risking thousands of dollars like they've got a mcdonalds walmart bankroll when they dont

I agree, it is very risky.  I just hope that that move gets more people into the game at launch, which is all I really care about. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Think simply Everquest would have been fine take it as a reboot and leave it at that.

Then people would of been confused with EQ1 probably...Also they are not trying to replace EQ, according to them, so I don't think they want to have people view it as a reboot.

In the end, I care about the game, not the name.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    I happen to think it is just fine as the final name for the game & I quite like it, if the game does even half of what has been hinted at so far it will easily be a very important relationship between the title & what lies in its code base.
  • ErnzelErnzel Member Posts: 15

I don't really think a name can be "stupid". Maybe not connected to the game, but not stupid. At least it isn't "EverQuest: Origins".

We really shouldn't judge the game by its name or developers, but on the gameplay they show us and features. I'm personally not an EQ player, but I really hope the game turns out great for all the fans.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

You can find the name by searching SOE patents just saying.

99% chance its Everquest Next as they have trademarked EQN (in may), Everquest Next in April and EQ Next on the same day as Everquest Next.