Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: More Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 21,492 Epic

Over the past weekend, the final beta phase of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn took place and we managed to slide into the game to learn more about it. In this exclusive look, we offer more impressions of the beta overall and the game itself. Check out our thoughts and then tell us about your impressions of the game in the comments.

I have a confession to make. I never really play alts. In fact up until a few years ago other than using them as mules I downright despised them. I’ve since lightened up on my stance on alts (it was kind of ridiculous to begin with) but I had some kind of stupid moral objection to them. When I played a MMORPG and created my character, that character became my primary concern in the game. I would do anything I could to make that character as powerful and as complete as it could be, whether that is through crafting, fishing, doing every quest the game has to offer, exploring every nook and cranny on the map, that’s what you would find me doing. While chasing this goal of completion of my one character I ultimately missed out on a lot of what the game had to offer. This is one of the reasons that I adore the job system in Final Fantasy XIV:ARR. I can still spend all of my time on a single character but now I’m not limited to only ever getting to play one class and job. I can now play all of them. This system, for completionists like me, is a dream come true. While this sounds like it may present a whole new set of challenges when it comes to inventory management, Square Enix had the foresight to add in the armory chest which addresses this concern.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - More Beta Impressions.

image


«1

Comments

  • KhebelnKhebeln DoncasterMember Posts: 721 Uncommon
    All i can say, cant wait till next beta weekend ;)

    image
    (Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

  • yalbnyalbn Washington, DCMember Posts: 11

    Yes bring on open beta with no char wipes. All in all this weekend is fun and i dont see my self getting bored with this game anytime soon unlike some other games. 

    Being able to use my ps controller on my pc is cool too. 

  • Smi77ySmi77y Medford, ORMember Posts: 3
    This game feels very Final Fantasy to me. A lot of that comes from FFXI and being an old time lover of that game as well. There's a lot of hype around this game, but it's almost solely come from people who have actually played. Good game is good and I can't wait for more.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIMember Posts: 7,974
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.
  • WicoaWicoa LondonMember Posts: 1,637 Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

    Yes you can it has that support. I will not upgrade my pc in the future and just roll onto a ps4 long term and get a cheap pc for office stuff.

     
  • RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Decatur, GAMember Posts: 25
    August... why do you hate me? Why can't you be here right now? My Pug wants to punch rats in the face.
  • NaddabNaddab Orlando, FLMember Posts: 5
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

    I bought a PS3 keyboard to see if it would work for typing. Have you already tried? My keyboard came yesterday. So I won't get to try until next beta weekend.

    The only problem I have on the PS3 version is typing to party members. There is a ton of group content, and need to be able to communicate.

    I really like this game, and is a huge improvement over the first release.

  • MargraveMargrave Member Posts: 786 Uncommon
    I eagerly await release..... painfully so
  • MajoreZaMajoreZa ATLANTA, GAMember Posts: 4 Uncommon
    Anyone has a spare key (Us region) much appreciated.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Henderson, NVMember Posts: 258
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

    This and I think PS3 fans will be set.

    MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 5,361 Rare
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

    you should be i did that for FF11 on 360

  • Anfere31Anfere31 quebec, QCMember Posts: 36 Uncommon
    Enough ! Enough is Enough, Give us Phase 4 ! can't wait anymore !
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff Writer St. Charles, MOMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 602 Uncommon
    Originally posted by MajoreZa
    Anyone has a spare key (Us region) much appreciated.

    If you get an EU key it will work too.

  • elockeelocke Manassas, VAMember Posts: 4,301 Uncommon
    What's really great about this whole thing is, this might set a precedent for sucky MMO's possibly being shut down and brought back to life as new incarnations.   Then again, Square is a big name company and has the resources and money to attempt something like this and actually succeed, but one can still dream.  Imagine if Mythic were to shut down Warhammer and fix the game and do it properly and actually have a viable PVE side to the game and tons of immersion, or games like MxO, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR and so on.  Like a "do-over".
    image
  • WittenWitten Austin, TXMember Posts: 48

    Mr. Lashley,

    With articles like these, mmorpg.com should be so lucky to have you on their team!

  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff Writer St. Charles, MOMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 602 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Witten

    Mr. Lashley,With articles like these, mmorpg.com should be so lucky to have you on their team!

     

    Thank you!
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 5,361 Rare
    Originally posted by elocke
    What's really great about this whole thing is, this might set a precedent for sucky MMO's possibly being shut down and brought back to life as new incarnations.   Then again, Square is a big name company and has the resources and money to attempt something like this and actually succeed, but one can still dream.  Imagine if Mythic were to shut down Warhammer and fix the game and do it properly and actually have a viable PVE side to the game and tons of immersion, or games like MxO, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR and so on.  Like a "do-over".

    Instead they give us Ewoks

  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHMember Posts: 7,835 Rare
    Hoped they made some inroads into fixing that horrible UI.
  • BrialynBrialyn Winder, GAMember Posts: 184

    I can't wait for Friday ! Time to play in Eorzea again! ^^

    Thanks for the great article! 


    image
    Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • decoyninjadecoyninja Pensacola, FLMember Posts: 2
    pretty funny. someone who hates alts getting into the game's alting system.  It really does fool you into alting and loving to alt. Hiding it by letting you stay on one character. 
  • MuruganMurugan D, COMember Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Over the past weekend, the final beta phase of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn took place and we managed to slide into the game to learn more about it. In this exclusive look, we offer more impressions of the beta overall and the game itself. Check out our thoughts and then tell us about your impressions of the game in the comments. I have a confession to make. I never really play alts. In fact up until a few years ago other than using them as mules I downright despised them. I’ve since lightened up on my stance on alts (it was kind of ridiculous to begin with) but I had some kind of stupid moral objection to them. When I played a MMORPG and created my character, that character became my primary concern in the game. I would do anything I could to make that character as powerful and as complete as it could be, whether that is through crafting, fishing, doing every quest the game has to offer, exploring every nook and cranny on the map, that’s what you would find me doing. While chasing this goal of completion of my one character I ultimately missed out on a lot of what the game had to offer. This is one of the reasons that I adore the job system in Final Fantasy XIV:ARR. I can still spend all of my time on a single character but now I’m not limited to only ever getting to play one class and job. I can now play all of them. This system, for completionists like me, is a dream come true. While this sounds like it may present a whole new set of challenges when it comes to inventory management, Square Enix had the foresight to add in the armory chest which addresses this concern.

    Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - More Beta Impressions.

    image

    Last weekend wasn't the final phase of beta.

     

    Phase 3 (which we will be in the 4th test window of, beginning on the 5th at 2 am PST) is still ongoing, it is also not the last phase.  Phase 4 is the last phase of beta.

  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Biddeford, MEMember Posts: 424 Uncommon
    What I thought the Beta phase had ended 2 weeks ago I would have logged in this past weekend if I knew it was still going on. =(
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Toronto, ONMember Posts: 69 Uncommon
    Is phase 3 done now? Or is there going to be another weekend? I am not in beta so haven't heard anything. I saw on road map that phase 3 was supposed to be 3 weeks.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Toronto, ONMember Posts: 69 Uncommon
    Never mind I see Murugan answered this already. Thanks.
  • ErgoproxyDecayErgoproxyDecay a City, CAMember Posts: 1,394 Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

    I used a keyboard on Ps3 for typing, mines bluetooth though...

    image

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.