Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeForce GTX 760 launches, pushes prices down at the $250 mark

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    That all was spanish to me...

See if this helps:

http://translate.google.com/

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by bingbongbros
    That all was spanish to me...

Google translate: nVidia Marketing -> English
    Ti = little bit faster, lot more expensive.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

I have decided to give this one a try:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127745

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Well I finally got my 760 in, the overclocked version which has replaced my (2) 460's in SLI.  Did it make a difference?  Yep, definite improvement in 3 different games I play by easily 30%.  (2) of these games I used to play on high, now I'm at maxed setting with 0 stutter even with tons going on screen.  Also since I don't have SLI cards and just 1 now, the temp at load hasn't gone over 58C, with my SLI cards I used to see 70+ since one hot card was blowing on the other.  Was it worth the $250?  For sure.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

all i have to say.

http://www.techpowerup.com/183936/geforce-gtx-680-can-be-flashed-to-gtx-770.html

Read the articles...not really.

A GeForce GTX 770 is basically a GTX 680 clocked higher.  It's the same GPU chip, though the GTX 770 will probably use higher bin GDDR5 memory to be able to run it at a stock 1.75 GHz rather than 1.5 GHz like the GTX 680.
  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

all i have to say.

http://www.techpowerup.com/183936/geforce-gtx-680-can-be-flashed-to-gtx-770.html

If it works great, but a 680 is a $450-$500 card.  A GTX 770 is $410 lol

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    A GeForce GTX 770 is basically a GTX 680 clocked higher.  It's the same GPU chip, though the GTX 770 will probably use higher bin GDDR5 memory to be able to run it at a stock 1.75 GHz rather than 1.5 GHz like the GTX 680.

How is the GTX 770? My uncle I think is going to go that route. It isn't that much more than a 760...but, (I haven't looked) my Uncle said the tech specs on it are far better. So, it sounds like for a bit more money...the 770 would be the way to go. There is of course the 780, but that is quite a bit more.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

A friend of mine just got the GTX 760 and I'm waiting on his benchmarks. I think he's quite happy about the savings given that he was seconds away from grabbing the 7950.

All due to the fact that Quiz posted this up, thank you sir. I've gotta say, you have saved me a few $$ this year already.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

How excited can you get about the sixth desktop bin of a GK104 die?  Well, that all depends on whether you're looking to buy a new video card for around $250.  Recall that Nvidia's GK104 chip has 8 SMXes and 4 memory channels, which left the video memory struggling to feed the GPU chip adequately.  So far, we've seen:

GeForce GTX 680:  8 SMXes, 4 memory channels active

GeForce GTX 670:  7 SMXes, 4 memory channels active

GeForce GTX 660 Ti:  7 SMXes, 3 memory channels active

GeForce GTX 660 (OEM-only version):  6 SMXes, 3 memory channels active

GeForce GTX 770:  8 SMXes, 4 memory channels active, clocked higher than GTX 680

GeForce GTX 760:  6 SMXes, 4 memory channels active

Whether a GTX 760 or GTX 660 Ti is faster depends on whether you're constrained more by memory bandwidth/ROPs or shader/TMU performance.  That the GTX 760 is faster in nearly all games pretty much confirms what we've long known:  a lot of Kepler cards were short on memory bandwidth.

The new GTX 760 beats the older GTX 660 Ti in just about all games, and often by a lot.  The GTX 660 Ti was never a good value for the money, but a faster GTX 760 that is now cheaper than it should hopefully end the constant Nvidia fanboy recommendations of the GTX 660 Ti.  For obvious reasons, the new GTX 760 is slower than the older GTX 670.

But the big deal is not just that the GTX 760 has launched, but that it costs $250.  For a long time now, if you went above a Radeon HD 7870 or GeForce GTX 660 at around $200, performance per dollar went way down.  Now we can extend that limit upward to a $250 GeForce GTX 760.

AMD has long owned the $250-$300 market, with the Radeon HD 7870 XT (Sapphire's version) or MYST (PowerColor's version) at $250 and the Radeon HD 7950 Boost at $300.  That ends today, with the GTX 760 clearly better than the former and arguably better than the latter, while clearly being cheaper than a 7950.

We'll see if AMD responds with price cuts as they did when the GTX 770 launched, but their ability to do so may be somewhat limited, as Tahiti cards (Radeon HD 7900 series) are more expensive to build than corresponding bins of GK104 cards.  Unlike the previous three generations when AMD had a huge cost of production over Nvidia, GK104 has the cost advantage over Tahiti.

I bought an evga 760 superclocked about 2 days after reading the nvidia article on it.  Was $260, upgraded from my GTX 570 and couldnt be happier.  Card runs way cooler.  I can sell the 570 used for 100-120 bucks and i got on average a 70% upgrade over my current card.  I may actually for the first time since the original Voodoo 2, SLI a second one here in 6 months assuming i get a tax return and obama doesnt take it from me.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

How is the GTX 770? My uncle I think is going to go that route. It isn't that much more than a 760...but, (I haven't looked) my Uncle said the tech specs on it are far better. So, it sounds like for a bit more money...the 770 would be the way to go. There is of course the 780, but that is quite a bit more.

I bounced around the idea myself.  770 is NOT worth it.  Its at best a 20% difference in speed over a 760 and its 400 dollars compared to 250.  If you were gonna spend 400 you'd be better off spending 500 and SLI'ing 2x 760's

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by TheScavenger

It's a difference of 8 SMXes versus 6, and 1.75 GHz memory clock speed versus 1.5 GHz.  So it's about an extra 1/3 GPU chip performance and 1/6 memory bandwidth.  The GTX 770 does offer less performance per dollar than the GTX 760, but it's in the range where if you want that kind of performance, you have to pay what it costs.