Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: Big Numbers & a Release Date

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Piranha Games has announced that over a million registered players have signed up for MechWarrior Online during its closed and open beta phases. In addition, the team announced that the game will officially be released on September 17th.

Since the launch of Open Beta, players have spent more than 9.6 million hours or 1100 years playing MechWarrior Online, resulting in the annihilation of more than 46,941,487 Mechs. These loyal fans have lovingly destroyed 3 billion tons of metal on the battlefield, which is 8,359 Empire State Buildings, resulting in devastating carnage across the Inner Sphere, MechWarrior-style. Stacked end to end, these destroyed Mechs would reach to the moon and back 1,221 times. The total cost of this damage is a staggering 18,316,519,465 C-bills.

Find out more on the MechWarrior Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    These numbers seem fishy to me...,

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I'm sure over a million signed up at one point, there is 100's of thousands that either lose interest, don't accept the invite, etc.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I haven't played in about 6 months, but back then this game wasn't even remotely close to being an MMO.   Or, if you call this an MMO, then Call of Duty and Battlefield are also MMO's, because the mechanics/gameplay were exactly the same, just with cooler mechs and less maps.
  • jimthevjimthev Member UncommonPosts: 3
    MWO is not an mmo any more than CoD is.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    OP posted: "Piranha Games has announced that over a million registered players have signed up for MechWarrior Online during its closed and open beta phases."
    Originally posted by MondoA2J
    These numbers seem fishy to me...,

No question about it, I will be shocked frankly if they can sustain even half that number after release and I think I am being generous.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

once they put in the faction system with the persistent world and the meta game to conquer it, it definitely takes on more of an mmo feel.  this is coming, theyre selling pheonix pack mechs that come with faction loyalty point increase when used.

mmo mech war is coming, are you ready?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

its no mmo but still tis not a bad game to jump into now and then.. plus its free..

I can see them having solid numbers for quite some time... and if they keep updating thing and adding new features then they will be able to keep those people.

• mase1771mase1771 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I like how these articles never mention the fact that the game will be launching with no community warfare, no balance and no clans. The game will be virtually the same at launch only minus the "beta" umbrella. Better get that popcorn ready!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I like to point out that IGP have said that then number of signed up should not be taken as the same thing as active players.

Found the qoute

"IGP president Kelly Zmak sees hitting the 1 million mark as a "psychological" victory for his company. He's realistic about the meaning behind "registered users" -- not every single one of them are active, but that's ok for now.

"The number signifies exposure and opportunity," says Zmak. "[The number is] not necessarily reflective of where we've come from or reflective necessarily of where we're going," he says."

So the numbers might very well be accurate. i'd say they have something between 4 and 9k user concurent and maybe 200-400k total of active users.

This have been a good conversation

• PogballPogball Member UncommonPosts: 6
    This game was good when it first went to open beta - now there are too many mechs, too much to balance, not enough content. If they spent as much time creating new maps etc as they do creating mechs to sell to people it would probably help
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

this game has to many issues, it was fun when it first went into beta, but after all the changes and tweaks it is now no where near as much fun.

also it is not a MMO its a lobby PvP game nothing more, I was highly exited when it first went into beta, but once I relized it was not going to be a real MMO and instead a lobby game I lost intrest especially once a lot of the changes they implemented turned it into a flavor of the month lobby style PvP game.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I've been wanting to try this, but I'm holding out for better joystick support.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I have to agree that there isn't much of a MMO aspect, but I do still have fun battling.  Teamwork is a must to win though. Some people say its P2W, but I play free and have fun winning or losing.  I do like this game better than a  normal FPS.
  • TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51
    MMO: Massive Multiplayer Online.  If MWO even holds 100,000 subs, and they play on a regular basis, it counts.  It is not an MMORPG, just an MMO, just to clear it up for all you haters.  It is a fun romp, and if you don't like, you don't like it.  Stop whining and go jump in circles around a fountain in Azeroth, lamos.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/