Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: First Impressions of ARR

12345679»

Comments

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by lifesbrink
    What the hell is wrong with everyone and their crazy support of Subscription models?  So what if a lot of F2P games suck.  So do a lot of subscription games (WoW especially, comes to mind).  I have played Lord of the Rings online for ages, and I have noticed a huge drop in price for playing the game.  Before, the game cost you $150 a year.  Now, you can pay $150 and buy the entire game without worrying about paying for anything until an expansion comes out.  How is that more expensive than subscription?

Then go stick with your F2P games. Why bother if 1 game goes P2P, when you poor F2P players have fucking 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 F2P crap games out there. 

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Because in the end, I am about gameplay, and not a single MMO satisfies that for me.  Everything has endless repetition, and until MMO's can start providing game worlds that have emergent and dynamic gameplay, like EVE, for example (though ship combat does not appeal to me), then I am always on the look out for new games.  

But the F2P model is the best way to do it.  You all sit there and argue that it is a bad system, but then you quote all the games that do shove the system on you at every moment, and forget that other games do it right.  Kingsisle, Turbine, Sony, they all have gameplay that is not hindered by the F2P system.  So what if there are crap models out there?  It was the same way with subscription games when there was nothing but those to choose from.

You can't argue a system and use the worthless games as evidence of it not working.  You can only refute it if EVERY game is the same way.  Which in this case, it is not.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Because in the end, I am about gameplay, and not a single MMO satisfies that for me.  Everything has endless repetition, and until MMO's can start providing game worlds that have emergent and dynamic gameplay, like EVE, for example (though ship combat does not appeal to me), then I am always on the look out for new games.  

But the F2P model is the best way to do it.  You all sit there and argue that it is a bad system, but then you quote all the games that do shove the system on you at every moment, and forget that other games do it right.  Kingsisle, Turbine, Sony, they all have gameplay that is not hindered by the F2P system.  So what if there are crap models out there?  It was the same way with subscription games when there was nothing but those to choose from.

You can't argue a system and use the worthless games as evidence of it not working.  You can only refute it if EVERY game is the same way.  Which in this case, it is not.

F2P is fastfood.

FFXIV P2P is fine dining well worth the price.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

So your argument is that games aren't worth a subscription.

That's fine, they are to me.

Question though, they aren't worth your subscription but the virtual items you buy in a cash shop are?  Oh but wait you play only "good" f2p options and probably don't spend a dime ever.

So let me ask, is the inflated grind worth your time just so you don't have to buy items etc. in a cash shop?

The answer to these questions for me is no.  If an MMO isn't worth a subscription, it isn't really an MMO and it likely isn't worth my time since I have MMO's I could be playing instead.  I don't accept crap just because someone gives it away, and I'm not a game hopper so no it really isn't "the better system" for me at least.

• TehutiTehuti Member CommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Sxecutioner
    I dont really care if its p2p or f2p tho i tend to like the F2p with optional sub the best. My issue is that i have a $1k nvidia GTX 690 and the game does not support SLI and does not run on my computer. The original FFXIV broke my old video card and i fear history repeating itself. With a $1k card i really just dont want to take that chance. They just really dont seem to know what their doing when it comes to working with computers i may just get it for the PS3 so i dont have to worry about it breaking my card. All over the internet i see people complaining about it not running properly on my card and huge lists of like 20 things you need to do to get it to run semi ok on high graphics when every other game it can run max graphics and not break a sweat.

It works perfectly with my GTX 660, I even use sweetfx.

I'm running on a laptop with a 560M and the game runs awesome for me as well.

I'm also one of those that agrees that SquareEnix made the right choice in having a sub-based model. If i feel you have a good product, then I will happily pay for it. If not, I'll move on to something else.

• SchnizitSchnizit Member Posts: 25

Here is my first impression: Waited over 20 mins while watching an opening It wouldn't let me close.

Then walked to one person and waited an additional 5 minutes for junk it wouldn't let me close...

Finally managed to try combat but the controls were all wrong. It would say up when it should be down etc.. I can't believe how broken the control scheme was.

Then quit.

The graphics were nice.... the rest was junk. Try again in a few months maybe they will get it sorted.

• GeekieDaveGeekieDave Member Posts: 41

My main concern with the game is going to be burn out. I played from level 0 to 12 in about a 10 hour span. It was around hour two or three that I realized this was going to be a game for hardcore players. While there is a ton of content just in the questing side, I wasn't able to fully experience neither PvP or PvE. To get back on topic, I fear that people are going to get frustrated when they can't pick up any other quests before completing one quest chain.

When it comes time to paying for this game or getting it for free, They really need to step up the game of how often content/patches will be released. With the only other P2P MMO out there as of right now, ARR does have quite a bit of a challenge. Like Grakulen said, The game is pretty generic if you were to remove the FATE system. With this weekend having us test out the Duty Finder, I'm really hoping they have another piece of the puzzle that could really make this MMO stand apart from others

Be sure to subscribe to Worlds Edge Gaming:
    www.youtube.com/worldsedgegaming

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Schnizit

Here is my first impression: Waited over 20 mins while watching an opening It wouldn't let me close.

Then walked to one person and waited an additional 5 minutes for junk it wouldn't let me close...

Finally managed to try combat but the controls were all wrong. It would say up when it should be down etc.. I can't believe how broken the control scheme was.

Then quit.

The graphics were nice.... the rest was junk. Try again in a few months maybe they will get it sorted.

You should be able to hit escape twice and choose to Skip the cinematics. 

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Now can someone enlighten me on the one character per server rule? Im not too clear on it but that's what I heard from others and if Im not mistaken my wife said something about it when she played 1.0 

If that is the case Im not too keen on the game.  I know you can level all the classes on one character but I just like having multiples for the sake of variety and RP purposes.

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by sado2020

Now can someone enlighten me on the one character per server rule? Im not too clear on it but that's what I heard from others and if Im not mistaken my wife said something about it when she played 1.0 

If that is the case Im not too keen on the game.  I know you can level all the classes on one character but I just like having multiples for the sake of variety and RP purposes.

Well in 1.0 you could buy new characters for $1.00 or something. I haven't actually read anything about this before though so I can't be certain it is the same.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by Murugan

So your argument is that games aren't worth a subscription.

That's fine, they are to me.

Question though, they aren't worth your subscription but the virtual items you buy in a cash shop are?  Oh but wait you play only "good" f2p options and probably don't spend a dime ever.

So let me ask, is the inflated grind worth your time just so you don't have to buy items etc. in a cash shop?

The answer to these questions for me is no.  If an MMO isn't worth a subscription, it isn't really an MMO and it likely isn't worth my time since I have MMO's I could be playing instead.  I don't accept crap just because someone gives it away, and I'm not a game hopper so no it really isn't "the better system" for me at least.

That is rather pointless to say as any of the F2P games I have played I have spent a couple hundred on.  So your argument is lost.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.