Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Eve pay to win?

Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I always hear Eve being hailed as the shining beacon of subscription MMO hope. But, I looked into this plex thing...

Is it true I can just buy all the Plex I want with my credit card and then sell it in game to become crazy rich? That seems at least somewhat pay to win...they are basically being their own gold sellers.

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

If you think that somehow isk - win, then no.

There are people with billions of isk in the game. So unless you want to spend a few 10k just to say "I have the most ISK, I win!!"

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• TerrawenTerrawen Member UncommonPosts: 21
    What are you going to do with all that money? Buy a bunch of stuff you can't use because it takes real time to learn skills?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Terrawen
    What are you going to do with all that money? Buy a bunch of stuff you can't use because it takes real time to learn skills?

Don't you have to buy ships and stuff though? Does currency just have no value in the game then?

It was my understanding the economy was all player driven, which would mean you could buy everything rather than having to find loot etc. I do realize you can't use currency to gain skills though. But paying money would give you an edge I would think over normal subscription only  players.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

lol nice try really.. I haven't laugh so much since ummh.. since wow beta i guess.

Go ahead and buy plenty plex and trade them for ingame currency ISK. In 3-4 months you could get some skill to fly that ship / or use fit for that.

edit : plex can be used to dual training now or you can exchange that for 30 days play time etc.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Yes, having lots of ISK and lots of stuff that you cant use, makes you a winner.

Just having ton of stuff doesnt make you the winner in the least.. you need pilot skills to use them, those take time to train. then you need actually learn to play what ever style you are going with and then there is tons of other stuff too..

Well technically Terrawen he could use all that isk to purchase a character and then still not know how to play the game.

What Im trying to say and what a lot of other EVE players will say. Is there is no winning in EVE, because EVE has no end game.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

In Eve, money does not = power. Yes, you will have the money to buy whatever ships you want, but you need more than just the ship to be powerful.  You need the skills necessary to fly the ship well, the skills to use whatever weapons you equip the ship with, the skills to you whatever defensive mods you put on the ship and so forth. All of those skills take time to acquire and train.

There is no one ship that's better than all the others. Each ship and class of ship has its own pros and cons.  Small ships, while faster, aren't as heavily armored or armed.  Larger ships aren't as fast, and also have trouble tracking and hitting the small faster ships. So it's entirely possible for people who have their skills trained to higher levels in a smaller class of ship to destroy a larger class of ship.

Plus, there is the fact that money is easy to come by, in Eve. You can join corps that give you free ships and will replace your ship when yours gets destroyed during any corporation related event. Even just going through the beginning quests gives you a bunch of different ships.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Yes.  One of main reasons I don't play EVE. 

PS. You can officially buy a skilled character from other player too as long as you give a cut to CCP.

Originally posted by Raunu

In Eve, money does not = power. Yes, you will have the money to buy whatever ships you want, but you need more than just the ship to be powerful.  You need the skills necessary to fly the ship well, the skills to use whatever weapons you equip the ship with, the skills to you whatever defensive mods you put on the ship and so forth. All of those skills take time to acquire and train.

There is no one ship that's better than all the others. Each ship and class of ship has its own pros and cons.  Small ships, while faster, aren't as heavily armored or armed.  Larger ships aren't as fast, and also have trouble tracking and hitting the small faster ships. So it's entirely possible for people who have their skills trained to higher levels in a smaller class of ship to destroy a larger class of ship.

Plus, there is the fact that money is easy to come by, in Eve. You can join corps that give you free ships and will replace your ship when yours gets destroyed during any corporation related event. Even just going through the beginning quests gives you a bunch of different ships.

Then why do people even bother selling plex? Just laziness? It also seems weird that a sandbox game wouldn't have in game currency that is more valuable. I would think the economy would be an important thing.

I try to imagine UO back in the day, if you could just buy all the gold you wanted. It certainly would have changed the sanbox vibe I think. I'm just trying to understand why players who generally hate the ability to pay for any kind of in game advantage completely accept that you can buy all the currency you want in the game.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

You can actually use PLEX to pay for in game time.

You can buy and sell PLEX to other players in game. So if you make enough ISK, you can just use ISK to buy PLEX and not have to pay a monthly fee for the game.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I always hear Eve being hailed as the shining beacon of subscription MMO hope. But, I looked into this plex thing...

Is it true I can just buy all the Plex I want with my credit card and then sell it in game to become crazy rich? That seems at least somewhat pay to win...they are basically being their own gold sellers.

Every game with a cash shop is pay to win to someone.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I try to imagine UO back in the day, if you could just buy all the gold you wanted. It certainly would have changed the sanbox vibe I think. I'm just trying to understand why players who generally hate the ability to pay for any kind of in game advantage completely accept that you can buy all the currency you want in the game.

You stil do not undestand the fact that even with 10bilions you will one days run out if you try to be active in pvp. I suppose you do pvp when the game is primary pvp oriented

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    How does the PLEX system destroy the economy? everything is rather cheap and if you dont like it, just build it yourself for even more cheaper.. i been looking at the market for over a year and made quite a bit of ISK. havent really noticed the PLEX making it any worse or any better.. some people might try to take advantage of it but, it doesnt really do anything..

Think of it this way. And this is how CCP put it.

There are people in the world who have lots of time on their hands but little money. So they spend their time in EVE earning isk, but are having a hard time paying for the sub with real world money.

Then you have a person who doesnt have a lot of time to play EVE but has disposable real world income.

So CCP introduced Plex

The thing you have to remember is that isk does not equal power in EVE. All isk does is allow you to buy more stuff in EVE, thats it.

*BTW lickme, love the animation. LOL

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

It's not laziness. I played in a pirate corp for a long time and there was a mix of players. Some, like me were established and had an income stream, others were new to the game, relatively speaking. They also had day jobs and families that restricted their ability to learn how to make isk in easy mode (i.e. their time playing).

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Eve is probably the most monetized MMORPG out there. You can buy EVERYTHING with real money, including high skilled characters in their own character bazaar.

The fact that Eve is so much more than just your characters skills and items does not change that fact.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Power in this game is purely: People + Tactics = Win

All isk does is allow you to buy more expensive ships that go pop in seconds if you meet people + tactics.!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hokie

Think of it this way. And this is how CCP put it.

There are people in the world who have lots of time on their hands but little money. So they spend their time in EVE earning isk, but are having a hard time paying for the sub with real world money.

Then you have a person who doesnt have a lot of time to play EVE but has disposable real world income.

So CCP introduced Plex

The thing you have to remember is that isk does not equal power in EVE. All isk does is allow you to buy more stuff in EVE, thats it.

*BTW lickme, love the animation. LOL

Having a lot of isk just means you have a lot of isk, there is only one way to get better at PVP in Eve, and thats to practice, its not about which skills you have, or which ship you use, or which modules you have fitted to your ship, its about how you use them. If you don't have the personal ability then it doesnt really matter how much isk, or how many plex you have, you will always lose. image

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by Hokie

Well technically Terrawen he could use all that isk to purchase a character and then still not know how to play the game.

What Im trying to say and what a lot of other EVE players will say. Is there is no winning in EVE, because EVE has no end game.

this.   In my opinion the only way to actually win at EVE is to become a functioning part of that universe. Find your niche. Can be anything, only your imagination is the limit. For example I played for awhile as a small time janitorial service. I would operate in 0.6 systems and kill npc rats and salvage them and also salvage the messy wrecks miners left while defending themselves. it was a living, I mad isk, not tons but some. Miners got to know me and when I was in system would tell me where the wrecks were.  It was a niche. I filled it, I was a tiny cog in the machine.  To me, in EVE, that is a Win. So is being part of a major null-sec alliance. Or speculation trading, or building ships, or exploring wormholes. Find your niche, make it you, and play the game... if you are having fun, if you are good at it.. how is that not a win. The beauty of a game like EVE is that there is no endgame, no set way to play. So Winning is having fun and being part of. My opinion.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I have billions of ISK I earned in-game though the market but I absolutely SUCK at PVP. 

If anything Eve is not the pay-to-play game you think it is.  Many large corps have several people with more money than sense who give out plex so you can play for free just for helping the corp a bit. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    The people with the most power in Eve are the people who run the big powerful alliances.
  • BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Like many others poeples already said.. you don't have to pay to win in Eve Online. But as the tendency of paying to win have never been so high, Eve do not completly escape that little fact. As you don't really need to pay for any items or bonus, multi-accounting is the way of Eve Online pay to win. In fact if you want to get rich fast, own multiples account. You will be able to pvp in ""bad rep Alliance'' and carebears in others. If you want to mine, it can give you a huge boost as well... 
  • uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

it's not even about the money. $20 for 500m isk is not a very good conversion and it won't be sustainable unless you spend literally thousands. why? because there is technically no permanent investment. you could spend $2000 worth or plex to buy a titan and that too can be destroyed (and it will if you don't know how to play) and all your money is gone.

a knowledeagle player can technically make some income selling plex I guess. in that sense it can be a little pay2win I agree. However, the best advantafe you can get if you're willing to dump loads of $$ into the game is with alts. Miner alts, PI alts, scout alts, spy alts can be extremly useful for example.

Originally posted by Yamota

Eve is probably the most monetized MMORPG out there. You can buy EVERYTHING with real money, including high skilled characters in their own character bazaar.

The fact that Eve is so much more than just your characters skills and items does not change that fact.

So saying Eve is a successful sub game isn't 100% true then. There's a lot of monetization outside of a base subscription it seems.