Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hope EQNext is Not Following Nintendo's Research

PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260

Take a look at this article... http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of-gamers-today-cant-finish-level-1-in-super-mario-bros/

Sad trend in gaming. Modern gamers not only want, but apparently, NEEDS easier games.

I hope EQNext goes the other way and brings back the challenge of EQ1.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Comments

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

I do hope for the return of many EQ1 mechanics.  But, if a majority of SoEs audience refuse to play the game, if they do bring these mechanics back, SoE will be forced to smooth the edges.

With that said, I hope that the game is perilous and people play it.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Wow. 90% not even solved lvl 1 of original Super Mario. That is tough.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I was beating super mario brothers before I was old enough to read.

How does this happen?

• BamanenBamanen Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Who knows, my 4 year old beat skylanders giants on hard.....
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

Video games are evil! You need to take your kids outside to soccer practice and have them play in games where everyone gets a trophy and there is pizza afterwards!

YAY!

note my signature

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I would laugh pretty hard if this actually was true. Seems 90% of people these days not only can't beat level 1 but also can't tell satire from a satyr.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

retracted

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Guess I should have looked at the site first before that article alone. A wanna to be Onion site for gaming.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Jummit... satire..

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by MalcontentTWR

Take a look at this article... http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of-gamers-today-cant-finish-level-1-in-super-mario-bros/

Sad trend in gaming. Modern gamers not only want, but apparently, NEEDS easier games.

Thats cuz most the hardcore gamers are beyond single player games and prefer competition and community with gamers

I was an arcade gamer back in the 80s and couldn't bring myself to play super mario as I was older when it came out...

After I first played Everquest and played Unreal Online (world rated player) I simply couldn't play single player games anymore with the exception of Oblivion and Skyrim.

Didn't anyone ever tell ya? Statistics are lies!

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Apraxis

If you read the story it was because almost none would read the instruction manual...most only read the first page that didn't contain instructions on how to actually play the game.

Basically, it means most people are stupid and designing games for those people is a losing proposition.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Giffen

If you read the story it was because almost none would read the instruction manual...most only read the first page that didn't contain instructions on how to actually play the game.

Basically, it means most people are stupid and designing games for those people is a losing proposition.

Actually, designing the games for them is exactly what the guy recommended, because it would sell more.

The whole thing was fake, by the way.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The first level in super mario is probably the easiest thing you'll do in gaming
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Can't finish the first level of Super Mario Brothers.... what? What are they testing it on lab rats? How is it possible anyone could not finish it?
  • Don't every try Mega-man, the Cutman's level

you might actually die

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That's not a new trend in gaming, that's how it's always been. Games didn't get shorter and easier, causing people to get worse at them. People weren't finishing games, so they got shorter and easier.

I didn't read the article, so I didn't realize it was satire. However, it is true that games have gotten shorter on average, and while individual challenges may be more difficult, the overall game play is more informative to the player, so there's less mystery involved in what players are doing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Thats cuz most the hardcore gamers are beyond single player games and prefer competition and community with gamers

I was an arcade gamer back in the 80s and couldn't bring myself to play super mario as I was older when it came out...

After I first played Everquest and played Unreal Online (world rated player) I simply couldn't play single player games anymore with the exception of Oblivion and Skyrim.

Didn't anyone ever tell ya? Statistics are lies!

Since online games, I've been the same way.

I played pc games and consoles up to the launch of EQ, but since then I've never bought another console and single player games have been few and far between.  All the TES and a couple other big titles, thats it.  Even then, I feel like its time wasted because my presence makes no impact on anyone or anything.

MMORPGs ruined me.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

They say each yeah more and more poeple cant get past lvl one this tell me with the games becoming easier and easier skill lvl of players are getting worst or dumber because they no longer need to think when they play the game. If people dont get challenged they cant get better at somthing which leave one direction and that is worst.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I was beating super mario brothers before I was old enough to read.

How does this happen?

De-evolution and the modern technological "have it all" generation, that's how it happens.

Today's standard for a HARD game is Dark Souls, back in the 80's - early 90's that was the norm for 'normal' setting for pretty much all games.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    IF people cant finish the first level of mario brothers then they need o be taken out and shot... lol.. kidding of course but still that is somthing to be truly ashamed of...