Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: More Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Over the past weekend, the final beta phase of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn took place and we managed to slide into the game to learn more about it. In this exclusive look, we offer more impressions of the beta overall and the game itself. Check out our thoughts and then tell us about your impressions of the game in the comments.

I have a confession to make. I never really play alts. In fact up until a few years ago other than using them as mules I downright despised them. I’ve since lightened up on my stance on alts (it was kind of ridiculous to begin with) but I had some kind of stupid moral objection to them. When I played a MMORPG and created my character, that character became my primary concern in the game. I would do anything I could to make that character as powerful and as complete as it could be, whether that is through crafting, fishing, doing every quest the game has to offer, exploring every nook and cranny on the map, that’s what you would find me doing. While chasing this goal of completion of my one character I ultimately missed out on a lot of what the game had to offer. This is one of the reasons that I adore the job system in Final Fantasy XIV:ARR. I can still spend all of my time on a single character but now I’m not limited to only ever getting to play one class and job. I can now play all of them. This system, for completionists like me, is a dream come true. While this sounds like it may present a whole new set of challenges when it comes to inventory management, Square Enix had the foresight to add in the armory chest which addresses this concern.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - More Beta Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    All i can say, cant wait till next beta weekend ;)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• yalbnyalbn Member UncommonPosts: 11

Yes bring on open beta with no char wipes. All in all this weekend is fun and i dont see my self getting bored with this game anytime soon unlike some other games. 

Being able to use my ps controller on my pc is cool too. 

• Smi77ySmi77y Member Posts: 3
    This game feels very Final Fantasy to me. A lot of that comes from FFXI and being an old time lover of that game as well. There's a lot of hype around this game, but it's almost solely come from people who have actually played. Good game is good and I can't wait for more.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I love this game. Really, really hoping I can plug a USB keyboard into my PS3 for typing though. I love the controller setup, and the game looks and runs great on PS3.

Yes you can it has that support. I will not upgrade my pc in the future and just roll onto a ps4 long term and get a cheap pc for office stuff.

• RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Member Posts: 25
    August... why do you hate me? Why can't you be here right now? My Pug wants to punch rats in the face.
  • NaddabNaddab Member Posts: 5

I bought a PS3 keyboard to see if it would work for typing. Have you already tried? My keyboard came yesterday. So I won't get to try until next beta weekend.

The only problem I have on the PS3 version is typing to party members. There is a ton of group content, and need to be able to communicate.

I really like this game, and is a huge improvement over the first release.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    I eagerly await release..... painfully so
  • MajoreZaMajoreZa Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Anyone has a spare key (Us region) much appreciated.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

This and I think PS3 fans will be set.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

you should be i did that for FF11 on 360

• Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Enough ! Enough is Enough, Give us Phase 4 ! can't wait anymore !
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by MajoreZa
    Anyone has a spare key (Us region) much appreciated.

If you get an EU key it will work too.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    What's really great about this whole thing is, this might set a precedent for sucky MMO's possibly being shut down and brought back to life as new incarnations.   Then again, Square is a big name company and has the resources and money to attempt something like this and actually succeed, but one can still dream.  Imagine if Mythic were to shut down Warhammer and fix the game and do it properly and actually have a viable PVE side to the game and tons of immersion, or games like MxO, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR and so on.  Like a "do-over".
  • WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48

Mr. Lashley,

With articles like these, mmorpg.com should be so lucky to have you on their team!

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Witten

Mr. Lashley,With articles like these, mmorpg.com should be so lucky to have you on their team!

Thank you!
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by elocke
    What's really great about this whole thing is, this might set a precedent for sucky MMO's possibly being shut down and brought back to life as new incarnations.   Then again, Square is a big name company and has the resources and money to attempt something like this and actually succeed, but one can still dream.  Imagine if Mythic were to shut down Warhammer and fix the game and do it properly and actually have a viable PVE side to the game and tons of immersion, or games like MxO, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR and so on.  Like a "do-over".

Instead they give us Ewoks

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hoped they made some inroads into fixing that horrible UI.
  • BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I can't wait for Friday ! Time to play in Eorzea again! ^^

Thanks for the great article! 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • decoyninjadecoyninja Member Posts: 2
    pretty funny. someone who hates alts getting into the game's alting system.  It really does fool you into alting and loving to alt. Hiding it by letting you stay on one character. 
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by SBFord

Over the past weekend, the final beta phase of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn took place and we managed to slide into the game to learn more about it. In this exclusive look, we offer more impressions of the beta overall and the game itself. Check out our thoughts and then tell us about your impressions of the game in the comments.

I have a confession to make. I never really play alts. In fact up until a few years ago other than using them as mules I downright despised them. I’ve since lightened up on my stance on alts (it was kind of ridiculous to begin with) but I had some kind of stupid moral objection to them. When I played a MMORPG and created my character, that character became my primary concern in the game. I would do anything I could to make that character as powerful and as complete as it could be, whether that is through crafting, fishing, doing every quest the game has to offer, exploring every nook and cranny on the map, that’s what you would find me doing. While chasing this goal of completion of my one character I ultimately missed out on a lot of what the game had to offer. This is one of the reasons that I adore the job system in Final Fantasy XIV:ARR. I can still spend all of my time on a single character but now I’m not limited to only ever getting to play one class and job. I can now play all of them. This system, for completionists like me, is a dream come true. While this sounds like it may present a whole new set of challenges when it comes to inventory management, Square Enix had the foresight to add in the armory chest which addresses this concern.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - More Beta Impressions.

Last weekend wasn't the final phase of beta.

Phase 3 (which we will be in the 4th test window of, beginning on the 5th at 2 am PST) is still ongoing, it is also not the last phase.  Phase 4 is the last phase of beta.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    What I thought the Beta phase had ended 2 weeks ago I would have logged in this past weekend if I knew it was still going on. =(
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Is phase 3 done now? Or is there going to be another weekend? I am not in beta so haven't heard anything. I saw on road map that phase 3 was supposed to be 3 weeks.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Never mind I see Murugan answered this already. Thanks.
  • EpedemicEpedemic Member Posts: 2

"The biggest limitations when using the controller are that you have to toggle across menu items on your UI that you can just click on if you are using a mouse and keyboard"

If you look into the actions menu, you can actually bind the menu buttons you normally find on the bottom-right on PC, onto the cross hot-bar so there's no need to toggle across the menu items.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that you can enter "mouse mode" by pressing L3 and R1, or was it R3 and L1? I don't remember but it's in there lol.