Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your favorite version of SWG?

2»

Comments

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265
    I take any incarnation, they are all better than the garbage that is SWTOR.

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Woot! Lowca was my server ._.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Tough one.  pre-CU obviously because that was the version that fostered some of the best moments in gaming I ever experienced.  The CU was kinda cool because they lowered the BH class requirements enough that I was able to get enough CH that I had a full pack of gurrecks to chase down jedi bounties.  That and the jedi spin parties were kinda fun, in that op kill everything god mode way that is good for a mood booster :)  When they murdered my pets (some of which I had had longer than most of the dev team at the time had worked on the game and were not tameable any longer like my greater plains stalker) the game was done for me.  
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I loved the original, but it had it's issues.  Then we got the CU, followed by kashyk, and it turned the game from a sandbox into a theme park.   I stuck with it.  The mustifar expansion was ok, until they decided to force the nge on us.  Sadly I just really lost a lot of respect for smedly at that point.

Looking back now and looking at the abomination of a game that swtor is I wish soe would have kept swg as even the NGE as much as I hated it was a much better game. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I liked and played the game in all three phases, spending three solid years in the first two.  Obviously I liked the first two versions more than the NGE.  The NGE did start to get a little better towards the end when they started adding some of the old features back in, but I'd say I was fine with Original and CU as a game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I loved the original, but it had it's issues.  Then we got the CU, followed by kashyk, and it turned the game from a sandbox into a theme park.   I stuck with it.  The mustifar expansion was ok, until they decided to force the nge on us.  Sadly I just really lost a lot of respect for smedly at that point.

Looking back now and looking at the abomination of a game that swtor is I wish soe would have kept swg as even the NGE as much as I hated it was a much better game. 

Have to disagree here, Kashyyyk and Mustafar were esentially two big themeparks yes but they did not take anything from the rest of the game so they did not chanhe the game as a whole from sandbox to themepark.

I

• BomberXXXBomberXXX Member Posts: 1
    i enjoyed preCU and CU. im still playing on a preCU server cant give up on a great game
  • OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15

I didn't play the entire run of the game uninterrupted - played at launch, quit around CU/NGE, then came back again for a while, quit, came back, repeat - but I can honestly say I appreciated aspects from both pre-CU/NGE and after.

That could be because space was my absolute favorite part of the game; I spent the majority of my time in my YT-1300 or yacht, and not as much changed in the update with that.

I don't really agree with most of the actual NGE changes, but I really liked some of the things that came to the game in that time frame. For example, houses with windows, TCG houses, atmospheric flight, etc. I didn't even mind the interface update, not that I'd say it was so much better than the original.

The most fatal mistake they made with the NGE, in my opinion, was the condensing/dumbing down of the professions. Galaxies original profession tree was the most complex and enjoyable system I had ever played. For me and my friends, it was an exciting change from the norm. If they would have just kept updating the game, without changing this aspect, things might have turned out better.

Either way, though, I'd take it back in either form at this point.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Pre-Cu JtLS

But at this point I would take any version

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

Have to disagree here, Kashyyyk and Mustafar were esentially two big themeparks yes but they did not take anything from the rest of the game so they did not chanhe the game as a whole from sandbox to themepark.

I

I have to make a correction here. Kashyyyk was part of the JTL expansion...NOT CU. Kashyyyk was an important part of the JTL "story". The problem with Kashyyyk was not the themepark feeling but the "on rails" feel of the planet. SOE went away from the more open world of the other planets and essentially went with a planet with one long path. Just did not feel like SWG.

Now, as to the best... SWG pre-CU with JTL (Kashyyyk not withstanding).

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

I

I have to make a correction here. Kashyyyk was part of the JTL expansion...NOT CU. Kashyyyk was an important part of the JTL "story". The problem with Kashyyyk was not the themepark feeling but the "on rails" feel of the planet. SOE went away from the more open world of the other planets and essentially went with a planet with one long path. Just did not feel like SWG.

Now, as to the best... SWG pre-CU with JTL (Kashyyyk not withstanding).

JTL was the space expansion that released in October 2004. The CU was foisted on the playerbase April 2005. Rage of the Wookies was SWG's second expansion released May 2005 and added the Wookie planet of  Kashyyyk. Trials of Obi-wab was the last expansion SWG released  (November 2005) just before the NGE debacle that wrecked SWG.