Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if this game is so popular nobody plays the others?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Have we considered, that what if this game, the epitome of everquest awesomeness is SO good, that every single subscriber from BOTH EQ and EQ2 stop subbing or playing and the servers dry up as they are all playing EQn?

Would SOE close those games down so that this is the only EQ game on the market?

Comments

• ZinnabunZinnabun Member Posts: 9

Well, yeah... If no one, not a single person, is playing, why would they keep the servers up?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    It'll never happen because people have different tastes.  I'll never understand why people play games like WoW, Rift or FFXIV but then again they say the same about me playing TSW, GW2 and Neverwinter. image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by burdock2

Have we considered, that what if this game, the epitome of everquest awesomeness is SO good, that every single subscriber from BOTH EQ and EQ2 stop subbing or playing and the servers dry up as they are all playing EQn?

Would SOE close those games down so that this is the only EQ game on the market?

Don't put all your apples into one basket just yet. Knowing SoE, I doubt they would shut the other games down. They've made it known how extremely greedy they can be. And that was before F2P. EQ2, before it went F2P, had a crap load of micro trans, for everything from pets, house decor, clothing, etc.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

Personally, I have put so much time into EQ that if EQN fills the holes for me, I'd just play EQN going forward.  EQ probably wont be around for all eternity - and this could be the start of the end.  

With that said, their constant release of new content and expacs will probably pull old players back from time to time ...

We will see though.

• ZinnabunZinnabun Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by azzamasin
    It'll never happen because people have different tastes.  I'll never understand why people play games like WoW, Rift or FFXIV but then again they say the same about me playing TSW, GW2 and Neverwinter. image

Originally posted by BatCakez

Don't put all your apples into one basket just yet. Knowing SoE, I doubt they would shut the other games down. They've made it known how extremely greedy they can be. And that was before F2P. EQ2, before it went F2P, had a crap load of micro trans, for everything from pets, house decor, clothing, etc.

OP asked a hypothetical question... Seriously... This is why this forums is overwhelmed with dumb discussions. 

The HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION he asked was "What if this game is so popular nobody plays the others?"

If that WERE to happen there is no reason why the servers should be up if NO ONE, as op said, is playing... 

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Zinnabun

Originally posted by BatCakez

OP asked a hypothetical question... Seriously... This is why this forums is overwhelmed with dumb discussions. 

The HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION he asked was "What if this game is so popular nobody plays the others?"

If that WERE to happen there is no reason why the servers should be up if NO ONE, as op said, is playing... 

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

If the player count were to drop too low on EQ and EQ2 then SOE would close the game down, I don't think anyone would doubt that, it wouldn't even require all the players leave just enough to make it unprofitable to run.  No company would continue running a game at a loss, they are in the business to make money.

However it won't happen.  There are people who will not try out the game (I play EQ atm and there are quite a few who are happy enough with EQ currently, though they are worried about the potential impact of EQN).  I also don't see the game being similar enough to compete for the same customer tastes.  Having said that I can see EQ / EQ2 losing some players from this, regardless of whether or not they remain in EQN.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Eh, if no-one plays those games who would miss them?

Of course they would, a MMO with no players is just a waste of space. Maybe they would keep a single EQ1 server running just for old times sake....

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

What if cow farts destroy the ozone layer and all the eskimos die from sunburns?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

What if the game is such a fail of epic proportions that everyone across all 3 games becomes so jaded by its very existence they quit playing any of them. Ya think they'll shut down all the games? image

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I will never quit playing EQ2, i still play EQ every now and then. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    I expect that from Titan, not from EQ. From SOE, I expect a new fail like Galaxies or EQ 2.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

not everyone is going to like this game or any game for that matter.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Imagine if it sucked in players from every other game as well, and if rather than watching TV or going to the cinema people were just playing EQ Next.  What if people stopped going to work and whole economies shut down.  Public services no longer functioned and the military was taken over by sentient robots?  

We must stop this game now before it can do any more damage! 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

EQ2 didn't kill EQ and EQNext won't kill EQ or EQ2.

And just for the record, EQNext won't kill any other game either.

This..

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I think EQNext could possibly hurt the sales of games that are going to release soon such as ArcheAge, TESO, and Wildstar if it is released before or near the same time as them.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i dont think EQN is even on the radar of most mmo players

theres been practically no press coverage outside of here and joystiq (massively)

when SOE does make a splash on 08/02  -- it will take time for word to spread

even w full info EQN available,

many gamers are happy w their existing friends in current mmos

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    I think EQNext could possibly hurt the sales of games that are going to release soon such as ArcheAge, TESO, and Wildstar if it is released before or near the same time as them.

Are you drunk lol, really think about what you are saying where TESO is concerned. Now that the game is coming out on consoles you really think that ZeniMax are going to struggle with TESO.

As for AA, well that all depends on what route EQN goes, if they don't turn EQN into what you want, IE EVE in Norrath then AA will be a great option for the PVPers.

Wildstar perhaps but TESO, you are joking, right?

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Neverwinter is an atrocious game, sorry. Pay to win to the core, get rooted during combat.. It's a horrible game and a horrible excuse for end-game "End-game? THROW MORE MOBS AT THE PERSON" Those are such lazy mechanics. "Well, we have no unique ideas.. So lets have boss fights just have MOREEEEE ADDS!"

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Are you drunk lol, really think about what you are saying where TESO is concerned. Now that the game is coming out on consoles you really think that ZeniMax are going to struggle with TESO.

As for AA, well that all depends on what route EQN goes, if they don't turn EQN into what you want, IE EVE in Norrath then AA will be a great option for the PVPers.

Considering TESO is also likely going box + subscription to play, then Everquest Next can definitely damage those games if they pull off Everquest Next.

I would tell any friend picking between TESO and Everquest Next -- Why not try Everquest Next first, as it's free to play and you wont need to buy the game and subscribe to it hoping you like it? And if you dont like EQN, you can try ESO or another game.

You can essentially have the MMORPG market go through EQN before it gets to ESO.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

what makes you think that an MMO on a console is going to do really well?

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Its a risk im willing to take....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Dullahan

What if cow farts destroy the ozone layer and all the eskimos die from sunburns?

Cow Farts are not hypothetical. Methane is top 3 for destroying Ozone. Also melanoma ,cancer from sunburn, is the #1 cancer killer...

When you try to poke fun at hypotheticals, use hypotheticals:

"What if all the vegetarians tried ribs, and stopped eating vegetables? Would farmers stop growing vegetables and just raise pigs?"

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    EQ2 and WoW were both very popular, yet people still play EQ1 over 8 years after those were launched.  You really don't have anything to worry about.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Right now EverQuest Next is the perfect amalgamation of sandbox open worldness featuring more content than all other theme park MMOs put together.  It will have full open world PvP with complete protection for care bear players.  No loading screens at all between any parts of the game, to include the credits.  When you get hungry in real life, it will order a sub from Jimmy Johns and pay for it with in game currency.

Until you get actual details, the game will be all things to all gamers.  A more realistic approach would be to look at EQ1, EQ2 and proceed with the next logical iteration.  When the game does its open beta/demo, play it and see if you like it.  When it releases, wait 2 months for them to work out the technical bugs and game play issues.  If the game is still growing, jump in.  If not, consider your valuable time saved for other endeveours.