Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safe to say if you cant run PS2 hi res, you cant run EQN Hi res?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Time for an upgrade.....

2 x GTX 770 cards SLI, 16gb RAM and latest Intel CPU should help, I would hope!!

I want to crank this title and have it the most beautiful MMO experience ever!!

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont think PS2 has any impact on how well EQN will be on a specific PC build. EQN will certainly have more people at the same time. The world in shooters is usually a bunch of art only while in an mmorpg it real content that you interact with so it uses even more resources. Much bigger world as well. Let alone the world full of NPC and not only players.

ALso another thing i think that makes a difference is the perspective. First Person games only render a weapon on screen for each person. So they spend less resources on the entire character and you noticed that when you see a player next to you its obviously underdeveloped and poorly animated. In third person games they use more resources on each character because you see your entire character rendered on screen and that applies to every single player so their characters adds that same weight on your screen.

So point is, EQN will most likely require a better computer than PS2, definitelly

EDIT: actually yeah your title makes sense lol, for some reason i read it backwards..... >.> yeah if you cant run PS2 you will most likely need to upgrade for EQN lol. Derp

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i dont think PS2 has any impact on how well EQN will be on a specific PC build. EQN will certainly have more people at the same time. The world in shooters is usually a bunch of art only while in an mmorpg it real content that you interact with so it uses even more resources. Much bigger world as well. Let alone the world full of NPC and not only players.

ALso another thing i think that makes a difference is the perspective. First Person games only render a weapon on screen for each person. So they spend less resources on the entire character and you noticed that when you see a player next to you its obviously underdeveloped and poorly animated. In third person games they use more resources on each character because you see your entire character rendered on screen and that applies to every single player so their characters adds that same weight on your screen.

So point is, EQN will most likely require a better computer than PS2, definitelly

EDIT: actually yeah your title makes sense lol, for some reason i read it backwards..... >.> yeah if you cant run PS2 you will most likely need to upgrade for EQN lol. Derp

GPU wise i think it would be about the same (maybe a small upgrade cause EQN will me newer) but CPU wise i think EQN would be alot more hungry like most of the mmo's for the above quoted reasons.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by sodade21

GPU wise i think it would be about the same (maybe a small upgrade cause EQN will me newer) but CPU wise i think EQN would be alot more hungry like most of the mmo's for the above quoted reasons.

You both are wrong.  Planetside 2 is almost always CPU bound before it ever becomes GPU bound because of the physics needed to calculate things such as bullet drop on a massive scale. EQN is not going to have this issue.

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    So having the latest CPU on the market today, would be an investment and future proofing, yes?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You mean this game will require me to upgrade my voodoo 2 that has run Everquest 1 so well all these years?

Originally posted by burdock2
    So having the latest CPU on the market today, would be an investment and future proofing, yes?

My suggestion would be to wait until at least beta as you will either be able to get a more powerful setup for the same price or that exact same setup at a cheaper price.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

You both are wrong.  Planetside 2 is almost always CPU bound before it ever becomes GPU bound because of the physics needed to calculate things such as bullet drop on a massive scale. EQN is not going to have this issue.

where was i wrong? i didnt even mention GPU vs CPU usage. I only commented based on my experience with online shooters not requiring me to upgrade my PC while mmos did.

where was i wrong? i didnt even mention GPU vs CPU usage. I only commented based on my experience with online shooters not requiring me to upgrade my PC while mmos did.

Planetside 2 is an MMO...

Planetside 2 is an MMO...

and Planetside 2 was included in my experience as not requiring me to upgrade my pc while mmorpgs did. I Should have re-phrased that better.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

CPU is the bottleneck for PS2 and maybe Forgelight engine, but won't know until we get our eyes on EQN. Could just be bad optimization or something PS2 specific. Different updates have helped/hurt performance.

I believe Smedly said EQN would have a large scale of settings (5 yr old PC to PC of tomorrow). But that was a while back and playing a game with extremely low settings may be playable but probably not enjoyable.

Would hold off and see if they give a release date, could be a year down the road and things change quickly in power/price. You might only need a single 770 or by release, it may be two for the price of one now.

I'm holding off as long as I can before committing to any particular build.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

If your machine can't run Planetside 2 very good you probably need to upgrade your hardware anyways, regardless of EQN.

Planetside 2's engine is already quite efficient in terms of performance and you can run it decent on pretty ordinary machines. The engine was probably one of the most commended and well-regarded aspect of Planetside 2.

To be honest, I have been upgrading my comp since the days of my old 286 with it's 3.5inch floppy drive and no sound card - the way computers are today, to get something top end now, I don't expect many games will push it for years to come (around 5-6 years for gaming, 10 years for regular usage. I am confident that it should handle EQN well, at max even and many games to come! :)  

My system I just upgraded from was a 2.4 ghz quad core, 550ti 1gb card and 4gb system RAM, which has lasted me the past 6 years. Planetside 2 broke it. Which prompted the upgrade to EQN. :)

The biigest problem with "holding off" when it comes to computer hardware, is that you may as well "hold off" forever. Whenever new hardware comes out, there will come a time (usually 6 months later) when something is faster/better/cheaper, ect. If you were to "hold off", then you may as well buy a console. As for me, I am happy with the latest top end, now, cause I know it will still hold its own years from now.

But that's just me. :)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I agree about holding off, its pointless if you are looking for top end. I think the only thing that would make me wait a bit is intel has still got to release the top end new haswell cpu if you really want the best.

Well, I am in AUS, and the person I spoke to today about my new comp stated that it DID have the new Intel Haswell CPU, Are you in the US? Could it be possible we got it first? I am only speculating - the comp will be delivered in 2 weeks.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by burdock2

Well, I am in AUS, and the person I spoke to today about my new comp stated that it DID have the new Intel Haswell CPU, Are you in the US? Could it be possible we got it first? I am only speculating - the comp will be delivered in 2 weeks.

I'm talking about the xtreame version which isn't out yet. They have only two out at the moment, they have yet to release a budget and the very top end.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    With an nvidia 580 I'm running PS2 on ultra settings and the FPS is still CPU limited.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

This^

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Maybe it will have to calculate magic bolt physics on a massive scale.