Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMORPG Has Had The Worst Launch?

During an interesting discussion in RIFT today, many players were chatting over which games they missed dearly. It should be no surprise that this conversation was started at the mention of EQN's launch. However, I unknowingly and completely derailed the conversation by asking: "Which MMORPG has had the worst launch?"

The conversation soon turned into everyone naming the game they had a grudge against: WoW, SWtOR, STO, EQ2, etc. One person however said, "It's tied between Vanguard and WAR." I was struck by this comment because he had mentioned my nostalgia-candy, Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning, and I was more surprised that he said it was tied with a game I hadn't heard about.

I came into MMORPGs with WoW as it was moving into TBC and moved on from there. As such, I am not part of the EQ crowd and was not eager for Vanguard (I hadn't even heard a mention of it back then). I had to do some research on the game and came to find out it was indeed strikingly similar to WAR in the sense of its failures. The real kicker was the game was released only a year before WAR.

When researching both games, I found both were indeed in a league of their own in terms of failure. While hype for a game can make any launch seem terrible, both Vanguard and WAR had technical issuses that really seperated them from the rest of the pack. In my personal opinion, WAR squeezes out an un-wanted victory here with its server problems in handling RvR.

So, I thought it would be interesting to ask the question to you folks here at MMORPG.com. Which game do you think had the worst launch, Vanguard or WAR? Or perhaps another title that I missed?

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Anarchy Online.

Great game, horrible launch.

In fact I think it set the standard by which horrible launches are currently measured.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Anarchy Online.

In fact I think it set the standard by which horrible launches are currently measured.

^^^^^

Yep. AO had probably the worst launch I have ever been a part of.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Definitely Anarchy Online.

It went on to become one of my favorite MMOs ever, but it is indeed the definition of a terrible launch.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Andraxx

Definitely Anarchy Online.

It went on to become one of my favorite MMOs ever, but it is indeed the definition of a terrible launch.

Anarchy. No contest.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

anarchy online

warhammer

age of conan

sto

ff14

all points bulletin

swg (not alot of people remember the completely unresponsive servers for weeks)

think thats the worst of what i can remember that i played. all points bulletin, was just glitched all to hell, ultimately the game shut down , it could have been great but man you wanna talk about a failed launch. Less than 6 months in and the studio is closed and game is shut down.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Anarchy Online, hands down. One of the worst MMO launches in history.  I'm still amazed to this day, that they managed to come back from such an epic failure.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Dark & Light would have taken the crown from Anarchy Online except that everyone but the over hyped fanatics knew it was horrible before it opened.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    SWG had a horrible, horrible launch.  First 3 days the servers kept crashing, it was atrocious.
  • YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I never played AO so for me it was Vanguard.

Most of my EQ guild was trying to get on with high hopes. They were very quickly squashed....

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

SWG, it was one of the first and most expansive MMO's ever.

Few knew what it's potentials was.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Anarchy Online.

Yep, AO

I wanted to love that game so bad,but the launch and all the lingering bugs killed it for me.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Dark & Light would have taken the crown from Anarchy Online except that everyone but the over hyped fanatics knew it was horrible before it opened.

Settlers of Ganareth was far and away the worst mmo ever launched. Just because people knew it was crappy and almost no one played it doesn't mean it wasn't the worst.

No matter what bad happened for AO it could never compare to the total fail that was dark and lights attempt to be a game.

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71
    AO for sure and SWG well that took me like 8 or 9 hours just to get onto the website to create the account so I could play, then the servers crashing all the time.But for pure fail on launches AO I didn't play it but heard alot about it.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

for me it is vanguard, both in disappointed and launch fail department's

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    VG launch was plain awful.
  • sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

for me i think it was

1)Darkfall... First I Had hard time to download the game....then i had hard time to log in due to connection errors..then i had to fight with the queue,when i won over the queue i had again connection failures and when i could actually loged in the game the game servers crashed every 10 mins.. after they fixed that problems there was a sync error for days and big lag along with frequent crashes and connection drops.

2)WoW at launch and at every expansion its  hard to log in four hours and the servers are unstable for some days.

3) Guild Wars 2. I couldn't Log in For hours. and there were server crashed and connection issues for the first couple of days. also several major bugs.

3)Could it be AoC but mostly cause it was unfinished...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i personally think that having a great launch and keeping the game great all the way is awesome. But having a bad launch and making the game great after that is also awesome.

The sad part is when the opposite of those 2 statements happen....

I dont judge a game for its launch...So i dont care who had the worst launch. Im happy with having played two of the best launches in my mmo experience (Rift and GW2). Didnt have any problem with them and both keep getting better in the long run

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    VG launch was plain awful.

Vanguard was awful (didn't play Warhammer or Anarchy Online), but the worst launch for me was FFXIV 1.0

I am amazed that they have attempted a comeback (also pleasantly surprised at the Beta).

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I was going to write in Vanguard before I even saw the poll options.

Seriously the worst launch ever.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by TheMaahes

One person however said, "It's tied between Vanguard and WAR."

Of those two, I'd probably pick VG...only because the machine it was specced to run on wasn't really available yet.

But clearly if you consider either of those the worst, you missed some real doozies. AoC for example. Hellgate: London.

Any such poll is limited to games you actually experienced at opening...and how well the game was tuned (or not) to your hardware.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

FFXIV:V.1
    AoC
    Vanguard

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

If I remember correctly WAR had a pretty good launch. The "Error 404" or whatever happened in pre-release.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    The one that sticks out for me only because it was recent is Defiance.
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Anarchy Online was the worst launch I've seen.  Vanguard wasn't bad for me.  AoC ran smooth as glass.  I wasn't in on the launch as I was playing EQ at the time but SWG generated a lot of hate on the SoE boards at its release.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

AO, it was unplayable for a long time.

But many games have been destroyed by a bad launch, like VG, WAR, AoC and many others. The game that lost most on a crappy launch might be EQ2, it was fun but unplayable at launch and Wow launched just months after so most players moved before the game was fixed.