Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name an MMORPG feature that was never copied , but wish was.

4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
It looks like Final Fantasy ARR has Xp Chains, it was originally in Final Fantasy 11....I haven't seen it done in other MMO's (could be wrong)....But fore people that do like to grind on occasion, it gives them something to strive towards, I wish this feature was in more MMO's and expanded upon.

playing: Dragon Age
Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
Want to try: Fallen Earth

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

As far as I know Asheron's Call feature of spending earnable experience to purchase skills has never been copied.  Neither has its crafting system called Tinkering, which allowed each loot item the possibility of being enchanted up to 10 times.

Gameplay involves earning experience points through a variety of activities, including engaging and defeating monsters in combat, fulfilling quests, and interacting with NPCs. Those earned experience points can then be invested to improve the character's abilities by spending it on attributes or skills. Additional skill points are awarded after the character reaches certain levels, and these skill points can then be used to acquire a new skill. In addition to earning experience, questing and combat yields 'loot', such as armor, weapons, health potions, and spell scrolls. Many types of loot can be improved or imbued with special spells and effects via Asheron's Call's 'tinkering' crafting system.

Many elements of Asheron's Call are radically different from most other MMORPGs. For example, Asheron's Call does not divide its world into different level zones. While some areas are much more dangerous to players than others, there is nonetheless a mix of different creatures types that creates much more unpredictability than is present in other games. Another key difference is that Asheron's Call does not use character level as the major determinant in the outcome of a combat. Level simply determines what skills are available, and it is the skills and equipment of players and creatures that determine the outcome. Whereas in many games a player will be able to move a cursor over an opponent and instantly know from their level whether they will be successful in combat, in Asheron's Call a character might be able to defeat much higher level foes or lose to much lower level ones, again depending upon one's skill choices and equipment. As with the absence of specific level zones, this creates a higher degree of unpredictability than in most games of this type.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

EvE Onlines skill system.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Yalexy

It has been, by Perpetuum of whatever (tho slightly different execution, still the same.. time = levelups)... EVE on mechs :D

Lots of nice features in/from Neocron, like hacking, hacknet and plenty of other nifty things and snippets i loved about it!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Id say Age of Wushu is the closes thing to a copy of that.

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Shadowbane's system of protecting a players worn gear but otherwise making their back packs, including the gold they are carrying lootable upon death (and in the case of thieves, they can steal from your backpack directly)

This allowed a player to wear their best gear, and make choices when gathering loot regarding when was it the right time to go back and bank. (and penalties for guessing wrong)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

IronRealms status effect system.   Essentially the goal was to afflict status effects on your target to limit how they could respond(keep them from curing other status effects, from healing health, inflicting damage, and many other things), with perfect play 2 players could duel for half an hour trying to find a weak spot or waiting for a mistake.

Haven and Hearths crafting system.   Good enough to never need to play combat to have a "full"/"real" game.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Algaroth_the_VhyleAlgaroth_the_Vhyle Member Posts: 7

I may be wrong (and I probably am), but I haven't seen another MMO with a skill progression system like Ultima Online. There is no leveling. Your skills are represented strictly as a percentage, and you earn the title of "Journeyman _____" or "Grandmaster ______". And you could lock or decrease other skill bases, to earn more XP in other skills. Not to mention, UO has a metric ton of different skills to choose from.

I've always thought that kind of XP system was pretty interesting. For the record - I've played a handful of MMOs, so I'm pretty certain there is another one out there with that setup. I personally haven't come across it yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Anarchy Online's mission system....I loved rolling missions in AO, especially being able to mess with the sliders for difficulty and other options.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    A story that's above fanfic. So far only SWTOR has done that.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by azzamasin

As far as I know Asheron's Call feature of spending earnable experience to purchase skills has never been copied.  Neither has its crafting system called Tinkering, which allowed each loot item the possibility of being enchanted up to 10 times.

Gameplay involves earning experience points through a variety of activities, including engaging and defeating monsters in combat, fulfilling quests, and interacting with NPCs. Those earned experience points can then be invested to improve the character's abilities by spending it on attributes or skills. Additional skill points are awarded after the character reaches certain levels, and these skill points can then be used to acquire a new skill. In addition to earning experience, questing and combat yields 'loot', such as armor, weapons, health potions, and spell scrolls. Many types of loot can be improved or imbued with special spells and effects via Asheron's Call's 'tinkering' crafting system.

Many elements of Asheron's Call are radically different from most other MMORPGs. For example, Asheron's Call does not divide its world into different level zones. While some areas are much more dangerous to players than others, there is nonetheless a mix of different creatures types that creates much more unpredictability than is present in other games. Another key difference is that Asheron's Call does not use character level as the major determinant in the outcome of a combat. Level simply determines what skills are available, and it is the skills and equipment of players and creatures that determine the outcome. Whereas in many games a player will be able to move a cursor over an opponent and instantly know from their level whether they will be successful in combat, in Asheron's Call a character might be able to defeat much higher level foes or lose to much lower level ones, again depending upon one's skill choices and equipment. As with the absence of specific level zones, this creates a higher degree of unpredictability than in most games of this type.

never played asheron's call  but the spending earnable exp on skills sounds like the Merit system in ffxi.  after you hit max level you could gain exp towards a "level up" each level earning you a merit point to spend on traits and skills for your toon

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

SWG crafting system.

Other games have done player economies but I've never seen one as complex and actually brought together all most all aspects of the game. Everyone was really interdependent on each other to make it work. The cycling resource qualities really let a good crafter stand out above the rest.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Almost everything in Meridian 59. Particularly the Assassin's Game where all those who enter into the contest are given a dagger with another player's name on it that they have to kill with said dagger. Once that is done, a new name is on the dagger until all but one are left standing.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

It's not an MMORPG feature but I wish it was. Diagonal Progression in character progression. Skill trees that interact with eachother and none of this hyperspecialized nonsense. Basically the ability to refine skills towards the "in-between" areas. Having a sneaky player that sacrifices their hyperspecialization as a damage dealer to have group utility or healing or aoe abilities. Ability to go full hybrid on a class that normally wouldn't allow it, like having a hybrid tank-mage or a cc-healer.

Also, a title system that grants attributes to the player passively and actively depending on which title is equipped. You have 50 titles with +10 base damage, but only one can be equipped. Each one that is not equipped only gives you 10% of their effects but it ends up adding up to a decent amount.

Maybe global cooldowns that actually make sense. You use Desperation Skill X and then you can't cast again for another Y seconds. Mana pools quite literally make no sense to me.

Free Crafting system. Much like real life, you get patterns for clothing to make it. The materials you choose decide the item level, stats, and additional attributes. You use special materials, you get a special item; you use common materials, you get a common item. Simple as that, no luck involved and gathering is kept to a minimum for those of us who don't like spending our in game time at "nodes".

That's about it.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by st4t1ck
    Originally posted by azzamasin

never played asheron's call  but the spending earnable exp on skills sounds like the Merit system in ffxi.  after you hit max level you could gain exp towards a "level up" each level earning you a merit point to spend on traits and skills for your toon

Sort of similar but not exactly.  EXP earned can be spent on skills and attributes when ever you want.  Level is nothing but a number to denote how often you can a skill point. 1 every 5 level, and each skill costs a set amount of points i.e. War Magic costs 16 points to train and 16 more points to specialize.

http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Attribute_Costs#Attribute_Costs

http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Skills

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    Dark Age of Camelot
     :p 
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by 4Renziks
    It looks like Final Fantasy ARR has Xp Chains, it was originally in Final Fantasy 11....I haven't seen it done in other MMO's (could be wrong)....But fore people that do like to grind on occasion, it gives them something to strive towards, I wish this feature was in more MMO's and expanded upon.

Truly separate realms.  This isn't factions with mirrored classes.  I'm talking uniquely different realms that include completely different magic and combat styles, gods, architecture, armor, etc.  I honestly believe that the industry assumes we are all so ignorant (or high?) that we are ready to jump on the cloned 5 race class cash shop games that permeate the market like a cancer.

This sillyness where everyone is carbon copied on a childish battleground flag capture is just the most overdone nonsense I've ever seen in a game.  You'd think EA owns the entire industry.

Perhaps we are terribly undereducated and accept mediocrity - However, I still refuse to believe it.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by jpnz
    A story that's above fanfic. So far only SWTOR has done that.

I found SWTOR's story to be very "fanfic"esque.  I mean by the very definition of fan fiction, it is just a bunch of (imo) not very well written storylines meant to pay homage to actual Star Wars characters/stories.  The original KOTOR game's story were much much better and relied less on fan service alone.

I'd say that the best done story's in MMO's have been XI's, and recently XIV's ending/ARR's new story looks to be good.

Vanguard also had pretty well done and deep lore, it was just never realized as part of the game due to SOE's handling of it.

I wish other games would copy Vanguard's diplomacy system and expand upon it.  The only time I've seen anyone try was the original FFXIV's parley system, and it was terrible.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Morphing system (I think the origin is SW:TOR though I could be wrong) really wish someone else would do this but on a larger scale.

For example Lets say for simplistic reasons and because i'm this way (hence my avatar) you got two forces Good and Evil. You have a neutral town It has normal looking buildings much like every other MMO, then the forces of good take it over and everything (building/people/ground/sky at least in that atrea) all morph to appear a happier place.

Then for some reason the Evil force takes it away from them, it instantly switches, the buildings get more pointed ends on them, the people hunch over, the sky in that area gets darker and the flowers in the area die/vanish.

If the town isn't supported by either faction it eventually reverts back to neutrality.

Sort of similar to how Black and white 2 did their towns.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

User selectable, scalable difficulty+rewards (CoX).

Not quite sure why; it solves soooo many issues in the never-ending hardcore / casual pissing contest.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by DamonVile

SWG crafting system.

Other games have done player economies but I've never seen one as complex and actually brought together all most all aspects of the game. Everyone was really interdependent on each other to make it work. The cycling resource qualities really let a good crafter stand out above the rest.

This right here.  Was just talking to a buddy about their system today.  And you could make a profession out of just a portion of the system.  I never really did much crafting.  I liked to roam and resource gather though, then put up resources on the AH or give the best stuff to crafter friends.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by garrett
    Dark Age of Camelot

Wait--attempted copies, or successful copies? We've seem several companies talk the talk.

But--are you encouraging someone in the industry to make the dreaded ::horrors:: clone???

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Istairia dragons, dragons growing, and the multiclass system that lets you keeps skills stats and abilities from one class when you switch to a different class.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Mystlynx
    Originally posted by DamonVile

SWG crafting system.

This right here.  Was just talking to a buddy about their system today.  And you could make a profession out of just a portion of the system.  I never really did much crafting.  I liked to roam and resource gather though, then put up resources on the AH or give the best stuff to crafter friends.

This is what I would have said too.  But it wasn't just the crafting.  It was how all the Professions needed something from another Profession.  A Commando could get animal hides a lot easier than a Master Weaponsmith.  It created its own economy.

The way the economy worked in SWG in general is probably the number one thing MMO's are missing.  For instance:

Problem:

"Our players are running out of stuff to do!  They're eating through this content faster than we can make it!"

Solution:

"Give their classes jobs and services that depend on every other class.  The content will invent itself."

Problem:

"But, WoW doesn't do that!  Maybe we should make a new business model that allows us to make the same money in less time?  Eureka!"

Solution:

"How about you give their classes jobs and services that depend on every other class instead?  That way, they always have something important to do, and your community doesn't leave the game before you finish the new content.  And since your community never leaves in the first place, they will grow strong and will stick with you for the long haul."

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

final fantasy xi's gear swapping mechanic:

Weaponskills, spells, and abilities utilize different stats, so you gear swap mid battle before,during, after using macros. It makes every possible facet of endgame from 2003-present relevant. No MMO has come even close to getting endgame right except ffxi.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Vindictus has additional layer of progression on top of gear, skill, and xp level that is called the title grind.

Vindictus Model - Players have levels but the mobs don't. Zones are gated by a point system. Get 100+ points in mission before you are allowed to go the next. Players become more powerful by gaining titles. An example title would be kill zone boss 5 times and gain +5 STR and +5 INT. This can loosely be called title based progression. Some original players have 400+ titles and are much more powerful than newer players that only have 150 titles at level cap. Some titles are hidden such as killing spiders by kicking them. Finding all the titles requires a bit of experimentation.

In contrast to the UO or EQ model where one could gain XP from any monster the 'cons' to gain levels. In Vindictus specific things have to be done to power up your character. No other MMO has this system as far as I know.