Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total War

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
so i was checking out stuff about rome 2 and shogun 2 and i noticed a lot of people complaining about "hill camping." some people were saying it was a "noob tactic." ... really? this isn't really a thing is it? people are honestly complaining about effective, smart, and historically accurate tactics in a total war game? it can't be just me that thinks that this is a perfectly legitimate tactic.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    so i was checking out stuff about rome 2 and shogun 2 and i noticed a lot of people complaining about "hill camping." some people were saying it was a "noob tactic." ... really? this isn't really a thing is it? people are honestly complaining about effective, smart, and historically accurate tactics in a total war game? it can't be just me that thinks that this is a perfectly legitimate tactic.

I find it disheartening that fans of military tactical gameplay would cry foul to such an old proven tactic such as higher ground. These games depict the time period in which such tactics were mastered and masterfully countered.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

All is fair in war ...

Terrain IS and ALWAYS will be a critical part of war. 

Be it,  supply lines, bottlenecking opposing force ,whatever .

I agree , I don't see any problem with that tactic at all .

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

My gripe is when it isn't "Hill Camping" but rather..."I refuse to move any of my troops."

---

This was especially annoying to me.  A stand-off, a stalemate.  The opposing player refusing to move anything.  So, after 5 minutes, I move my troops, and eventually die.

They don't even move their troops in reaction to my troop movements, they simply sit..and wait for me to come into range, then annihilate me.

--

It is frustrating, and ultimately led me to quit playing multiplayer matches.  I understand War Tactics, but when there is nothing at stake, no castle to defend, city to defend, no real life lives to be lost.  How can you justify this type of cheesy behaviour?

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Dragim

My gripe is when it isn't "Hill Camping" but rather..."I refuse to move any of my troops."

---

This was especially annoying to me.  A stand-off, a stalemate.  The opposing player refusing to move anything.  So, after 5 minutes, I move my troops, and eventually die.

They don't even move their troops in reaction to my troop movements, they simply sit..and wait for me to come into range, then annihilate me.

--

It is frustrating, and ultimately led me to quit playing multiplayer matches.  I understand War Tactics, but when there is nothing at stake, no castle to defend, city to defend, no real life lives to be lost.  How can you justify this type of cheesy behaviour?

you just need to adapt your attack, or wait him out. if they don't move at all force him to expose a flank, or start harassing his position. or artillery. honestly if it's available no battle should not have long range artillery. basically there are ways to deal with these sorts of tactics.