Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Bi-Weekly Future of Tyria

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

July 9th will see the next major update to Guild Wars 2 when the Bazaar of the Four Winds event hits live service. We managed to catch up to Chris Whiteside to find out about the update and much more on the future of GW2. See what he has to say and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

While they were not ready to reveal too many details about their next update during my one-on-one visit with ArenaNet’s Chris Whiteside, I did find out that there will be an awesome Mario Kart-inspired racing mini-game that will have you leaping across giant landscapes and more than likely have you battling some more Sky Pirates. While Chris didn’t want to spoil too many of Bazaar of the Four Wind’s surprises, he did take the time to answer some questions about Guild Wars 2’s past and ponder what the future holds for the game and the players who populate it. 

Read more of Blake Morse's Guild Wars 2: The Bi-Weekly Future of Tyria.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    This is more directed at the interviewee than the interviewer, but damn what a bunch of PR bs.  There's actually 0 content in anything he's saying.  "Updates every two weeks, we really like it, team, can't talk about anything we're working on, we care about community, blah blah, blah."  Just a bunch of fluff.  Now that I think about it, very similar to GW2's updates lol.

Steam: Neph

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    It's an impressive benchmark and I like that they're pushing their limits as a team to develop new content they can deliver to the community.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    This is more directed at the interviewee than the interviewer, but damn what a bunch of PR bs.  There's actually 0 content in anything he's saying.  "Updates every two weeks, we really like it, team, can't talk about anything we're working on, we care about community, blah blah, blah."  Just a bunch of fluff.  Now that I think about it, very similar to GW2's updates lol.

hahahahahahaha  this is so sad  XD

Any way, so they doing BI -Weekly updates, nice, they working hard it seems, I'm sure their expansions will be big of course, if their content updates do have content and are releasing at a fast rate. Let's see how long they can manage this, I mean once a month or 3 weeks was fine and impressive by itself. 2 weeks is really impressive.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´ve been playing since Beta & simply love this game!

They are doing an awesome job & giving us updates every 2 weeks is beyond awesome,specially with no subscriptions!!!!

TY so much ArenaNet!!!

Love you :D

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Upcoming expansion is actually my main worry. Are they even working on it now that they've created multiple teams to work on these bi-weekly updates? Nothing has been cleared since those conflicting comments from ANet and NCSOFT were heard back some months ago.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

A.Net has done quite well with this game as far as updates, etc. Every 2 weeks seems a little extreme but I guess they are trying to go for the 'living world' aspect where things change all the time. You can say all the dumb, snarky remarks you want but it doesn't take anything away from what A.Net is doing.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Upcoming expansion is actually my main worry. Are they even working on it now that they've created multiple teams to work on these bi-weekly updates? Nothing has been cleared since those conflicting comments from ANet and NCSOFT were heard back some months ago.

I am sure they are - there are different teams for different parts of the game. One specifically for PvP, for instance.

Originally posted by Methos12

I'm sure they got different teams working on different things, I.E a team already working on expansions and such, I actually believe they giving the original GW2 game a year and few months maybe a half before releasing a big yet high quality expansion.

Cause the wants many gamers have you can't just leave original game barren while working on the expansion and then expansion won't be enough.

That's why they have live content teams or w/e you call them, then once the expansion is released, live teams may or may not work on original GW2 content and then move onto expansions like they are currently doing with the original content.

*Almost post but remembers to elaborate a bit more.*

Part highlighted in red, this in fact is one reason I see MMOs going down in population i fact, what A-NET is doing from my observations is trying to prevent that which, yea this might be a stretch, but I believe this is why they are still hiring, I believe in the video they now have two live content teams? If not it was least on the regards of growing.

If impatient because you and a few others or you and your entire guild plus a few more can't wait for an expansion I always suggest finding other great games to play, patient is part of the key, heh that shows how I am a casual myself...I guess.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    In my opinion, this is the best mmo out there.  Most games you have to wait months for any kind of change.  Every two weeks?  Amazing!!!
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

*Rolls eyes* Nothing to see here......

Anybody wish that this game was being run by the old team completely? I mean with the game gameplay and such as now but just with the old group that actually put out Nightfall and Factions?

Maybe its just me

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

RizelStar

They have 4 living story teams

• netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I really enjoyed this game at launch, the leveling, the dungeon, mainly the jumping puzzles, this living story and events have great ideas but what got me bored its that everything on these events like Dragon Bash are a huge boring grind, and a limited time grind, you have to do it fast or never do it, this got me out of the game.
    Originally posted by rastapastor

RizelStar

They have 4 living story teams

oh okay that's even more than I though. So 2 weeks does seem reasonable, I'm sure the pay is good as well.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by botrytis

A.Net has done quite well with this game as far as updates, etc. Every 2 weeks seems a little extreme but I guess they are trying to go for the 'living world' aspect where things change all the time. You can say all the dumb, snarky remarks you want but it doesn't take anything away from what A.Net is doing.

Take away from what they're doing?  They're not doing anything meaningful so there's nothing to take away.  That's obviously just my opinion and you're entitled to yours, but this game continues to over promise and under deliver.  Despite the statement from the employee above to under promise and over deliver.

Steam: Neph

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Under-promise and over deliver? Pre-launch Anet? That was you. Post launch A-Net? Over-promise and Under-deliver. You don't achive a "Living World" via low quality, vapid, TEMPORARY content. Goal is to make the best possible play experience? Umm, that hasn't been evident at any point in 2013. Development process changed for the better? How about new development process that flushes development resources completely down the drain?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The two big take aways for me are:

1. Bi-weekly updates

2. Permanent playable content in future updates

I do hope they keep having temporary things, but I am MUCH happier that they realize that they need to keep some permanent gameplay in the world.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Quality > Quantity.

As much as i like the concept of releasing updates every 2 weeks, it's the actual content that doesn't keep me interested.  There isn't any real incentive to stay logged in.  Running around pressing F hundreds of times for achievements isn't exciting at all.  Neither is RNG box items, whether it's paid or dropped.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

i remember the quote at release like it was yesterday "we will be releasing updates at a regular cadence". 

this PR speak isnt new. they didnt deliver then, theyre probably not going to deliver now. sorry, really hard to anticipate any changes i  their update cycle.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Take away from what they're doing?  They're not doing anything meaningful so there's nothing to take away.  That's obviously just my opinion and you're entitled to yours, but this game continues to over promise and under deliver.  Despite the statement from the employee above to under promise and over deliver.

This is really sad. You know what, just assume that every promise they give isn't directed at you because obviously you don't appreciate what they're offering. What is meaningful to you isn't the same as it is to them, or to those who enjoy the updates.

Move along.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

This is really sad. You know what, just assume that every promise they give isn't directed at you because obviously you don't appreciate what they're offering. What is meaningful to you isn't the same as it is to them, or to those who enjoy the updates.

Move along.

Amen.  It really is sad to see how people don't appreciate anything these days. :(

• neurojameneurojame Member Posts: 26

First off I really enjoy the biweekly updates and appreciate the effort which would have to be put into putting out that many updates.

But I think that the developers are dealing with a disconnect with their player base as to the meaning of "living world". I think that many players when they hear this thought that there would be more environmental changes to the PVE maps due to the events and instead we are getting small storylines and dungeons (which have been very good)

When I hear "living world" I think maybe sometime I'll come through queensdale and see the buildings destroyed due to a dragon attack and dealing with the aftermath of that (as an example). I think we were expecting more permanent changes to the PVE landscape.Thats part of what made GW1 so good. You saw an event that permanently changed the landscape, therefore it made pre-searing look that much better in hindsight.

• nightcaster0nightcaster0 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Nephaerius everyone is over your obvious attempts to undermine the great work that Anet and its staff do. At the end of the day its your choice whether to play GW2 or not, if you dont like GW2 stop playing and move on.

I'm really getting tired of reading posts from people who want to bad mouth developers attempts to create an immersive content rich game that involves the public.

You may go now nephaerius, your dismissed, no one wants to hear your unintelligent, uninformed and frankly closed minded dribble. 

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786

Great interview, Blake. Really solid stuff. Chris had a definitive message he wanted to get across but you were pull a lot of excellent information and elaboration. Fun read (and probably even more fun conversation to be a part of)!

For folks looking for ArenaNet's answers to other issues players are talking about, MMORPG.com has you covered. Chris Whiteside also joined us on the official podcast for a nearly an hour. We spent a vast minority of that time talking about the upcoming Bazaar drop. 

We went to dedicated GW2 players and asked them simply, "if you could sit down with Chris, what would you ask him?" To our surprise, Chris answered every single question on our nearly two page list straight from the playerbase. Topics include:  new/returning players and where they begin, permanence, temporary events, regions being abandoned, town clothes, the home instance, balancing, narrative versus gameplay updates, personal story vs living, rewards and itemization, esports, small group vs large group, and more.

As this article and the audio interview show, MMORPG.com is bringing you the goods. Stream or download the other half here.

• digitalcraftdigitalcraft Member Posts: 1
    Cool!  Now all they have to do is fix their broken economy and it'll be one of the best games ever.