Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Inside Dungeons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest developer blog has been posted on the Elder Scrolls Online site. This time, devs give fans an inside look at the way dungeons will play out in the game as well as some information about party dynamics.

In many MMORPGs, players are locked into performing one role in a group, whether they focus on damaging enemies (DPS, or Damage Per Second), keeping their allies in the fight (healing), or drawing the attention of enemies away from more vulnerable characters (tanking). These roles are still important for a successful dungeon group in The Elder Scrolls Online, but our open-ended skill system gives you much more flexibility. With the right combination of weapons and abilities, you can change your role on the fly to support your group’s needs.

For example, let’s say your group’s healer goes down during a boss battle. In many games, it would be impossible to recover at this point. However, you were prepared for just such a situation! You swap your two-handed sword out right in the middle of combat for a restoration staff, which activates your second hotbar (where you’ve cleverly slotted some healing abilities). Now, you can keep the party going. 

Read more on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Like the idea. Hope it lives up to the expectations

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Trinity => "Thumb down"
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by mazut
    Trinity => "Thumb down"

"Trinity is equal to or greater than thumb down"

Might wana rethink that..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Sounds a lot like gw2, which isn't a bad thing

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    ugh.  sounds a lot like the clusterf**k that is gw2.
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Glad the trinity is coming back.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Sounds like a soft, flexible trinity system.

But all I care about from ES games is that the world is big, open and I can go exploring. Trinity in dungeons is fine as long as we get that free form world.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Sounds interesting. Depends on how they do it.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    This game is dead in the water, they are trying to please too many people and they keep back tracking on their focus for the game.
  • codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Trinity oh god.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    This game will end up deviating from it's original plan and just become an end game raiding mmo, nobody will bother with AvA.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Hey Bethesda damage dealers are called DD's, not DPS.

How is someone a "damage per seconder"?

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Yeah, sounds like the weapon swapping from GW2 but with a real trinity system.

So, dungeons will be much more enjoyable in ESO than GW2 at least.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I'd like if they didn't do this healer - tank - dps thing. Even if it's an MMO, in previous Elder Scrolls games u had to use potions and restoration to survive. Why couldn't they keep it in this game? It would be a lot more challenging, immersive and less traditional thing if they made it the way that, every player are on their own, if they die, then it's their fault not being enough good or careful. But with the Trinity system, people will have to rely on other people's roles, ofc Trinity isn't bad, but I don't think it fits an Elder Scrolls game. Apparently, this was a letdown for me.
  • PyxxPyxx Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by codifier
    I'd like if they didn't do this healer - tank - dps thing. Even if it's an MMO, in previous Elder Scrolls games u had to use potions and restoration to survive. Why couldn't they keep it in this game? It would be a lot more challenging, immersive and less traditional thing if they made it the way that, every player are on their own, if they die, then it's their fault not being enough good or careful. But with the Trinity system, people will have to rely on other people's roles, ofc Trinity isn't bad, but I don't think it fits an Elder Scrolls game. Apparently, this was a letdown for me.

If they didn't do that.. then the Single Player series wouldn't make any sense either.. what would be the purpose of leveling up a character and customizing the role down the path that you take?? Would you not have any roles at all? Would you not heal your own companion? If you weren't a Tank with lots of Stamina, you wouldn't be able to take a hit from the harder bosses. Or Cast a Rain of Fire down on a bunch of Undead. There are Roles for a Purpose. Who fills those roles are left up to the players to decide. And that's how ESO is taking it's approach. 

Yes you will still be able to heal yourself and dodge out of the way, and Yes you are expected to take care of yourself as much as possible. They are not saying that a healer is responsible for your own stupidity. However a Healer may be able to get you out of a jam because of your stupidity. 

They're not saying that a Tank is responsible for keeping all the mobs.. and they clearly stated that they wouldn't have to, that other players will be able to fend for themselves. What you do is totally up to you and the Weapons you try to skill up in proficiency. 

We all have different ways of playing in the Single player game. Just put those different ways into a Multi-player feature then there you have ESO.